Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Show us your gravel/cross bike...

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Show us your gravel/cross bike...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-20, 09:30 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Just an FYI, I watched this yesterday:
Just so happens I watched that a few hours earlier. I'm already using a shimano derailleur and have silicone lubed the cables. It seems all brands can fail though, luck of the draw...
Likes For jbchybridrider:
Old 06-07-20, 09:39 AM
jbchybridrider 

I will still turn the bike over and look with a magnifying glass tomorrow at the shifter
Old 06-07-20, 06:37 PM
mikehuangsd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
Thanks. The sti's are SENSAH Ignite ...
Near the end of ride the chain didn't go down to the small ring on the front once then once dropped the chain off the small ring at the front but think that's related to using a old mtb derailleur with compact crank. It was working great though so I'll have a close look tomorrow. The sti's only cost me $108 aus, they'll be much cheaper in the states so think there a great buy.
I went with Sensah 'Reflex' for my 8-speed Schwinn hybrid -> gravel conversion! Agreed - they were a great buy - and all the cables go under the tape unlike the similarly-priced lower end Shimano or Microshift options. Extremely satisfying shifts (sounds like an air piston). Can you use road STI's with mountain front derailleurs? I thought the cable pull amount was different.
Old 06-07-20, 10:40 PM
jbchybridrider 

Originally Posted by mikehuangsd
I went with Sensah 'Reflex' for my 8-speed Schwinn hybrid -> gravel conversion! Agreed - they were a great buy - and all the cables go under the tape unlike the similarly-priced lower end Shimano or Microshift options. Extremely satisfying shifts (sounds like an air piston). Can you use road STI's with mountain front derailleurs? I thought the cable pull amount was different.
It's all good nothing broken it's just an adjustment setup issue. I've always thought that while not ideal a mtb derailleur can work with careful limit screw adjustment also the derailleur is a few teeth outside it's limit range but doesn't mean it can't work. I have swung the rear of the derailleur out a bit thinking it will help, still a decent amount of room before touching the crank, height looks good. Who knows though a road triple may be what I need. I'm changing the power saddle copy to something else too my sit bones don't agree with it.
Old 06-08-20, 01:08 AM
richdirector

Bikes: Rohloffed Ti Lynskey 29er, Sonder Camino ti Gravel Bike, Mercian Tourer, Lynskey road bike, Brompton S2L-X folding bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks it feels like a new bike. I'll let you know how it's first ride in nearly 30 years goes tomorrow.
​​​​​​
Sweet covid recycle.... How long had you been thinking of doing it?
Old 06-08-20, 03:08 AM
babyshoe36

Bikes: Bianchi Tangent Cyclo - Serotta Legend Ti DI2-

Liked 14 Times in 3 Posts
Noice!

Originally Posted by mackgoo
Are you trying to beat me out for cleanest bike? Seriously,you can't post this much cool without some kind of explanation. What am I looking at? Aluminum? Carbon tube aluminum lug? What gives man..well whatever it is I like it
Likes For babyshoe36:
Old 06-08-20, 06:10 AM
jbchybridrider 

Originally Posted by richdirector
​​​​​​

Sweet covid recycle.... How long had you been thinking of doing it?

After surviving 2 house moves in 20 years I dug it out in 2012 and said I'd rebuild it then . Here's a photo I lost but found on another thread.

Most people would just throw this old Giant hybrid in the trash but after riding it again in it current state it handles so well it could happily replace all my other bikes.

Old 06-08-20, 11:09 AM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
Yeah. That was either right before or after the season.
Old 06-08-20, 04:49 PM
mikehuangsd

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 37 Posts

Holy Moley - Is this the 'before' of the white bike above? So you also painted the frame? I also see now the threaded -> threadless steerer conversion - it looks pretty clean - what did you use for that? Great job - the bike looks like a 2020 model now.
Old 06-08-20, 05:05 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by PugRider
Bravo. Love this kind of stuff. Well-done!
That's awesome.
Old 06-08-20, 05:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by mackgoo

I have those exact same wheels. It's nice to see another set of Ksyriums finding new life as CX wheels.

Last edited by caloso; 06-09-20 at 03:58 PM.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-09-20, 08:36 AM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

In answer to the last question. "glued and screwed" carbon into aluminum lugs.
Old 06-09-20, 08:42 AM
mackgoo

Likes For mackgoo:
Old 06-09-20, 08:48 AM
jbchybridrider 

Originally Posted by mikehuangsd
Holy Moley - Is this the 'before' of the white bike above? So you also painted the frame? I also see now the threaded -> threadless steerer conversion - it looks pretty clean - what did you use for that? Great job - the bike looks like a 2020 model now.
I'd already had the Origin8 sealed headset, stem converter and stem for many years. All bought on ebay. So happy to find a use for the headset I hadn't used before. The converter and stem had once been on my Olympia road bike but went back to a quill on that.
Yeah total restore on the frame. The colour came about because I had plenty white left over from respraying my vans roof and had to do a Mongoose frame the original white so just did the Giant white too, easy. In a year it could end up another colour, I already have ideas brewing a bit more fancy.
Old 06-09-20, 10:25 AM
richdirector

Bikes: Rohloffed Ti Lynskey 29er, Sonder Camino ti Gravel Bike, Mercian Tourer, Lynskey road bike, Brompton S2L-X folding bike

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
My gravel bikes

Firstly Sonder Camino Ti bought 2016

Recently sold to pal for his girlfriend and I bought SH
Lynskey Gr270 with Di2 setup (I had a lynskey Cooper Road bike and ridgeline 29er in the past so like the company...)

I'm a massive advocate of ti frames
Likes For richdirector:
Old 06-09-20, 05:47 PM
Soundtallica

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
My new pride and joy, a Look 765 Gravel RS. I was debating getting the new 2021 Diverge, but ultimately this won out because I was able to get one of the last medium frames from the previous model years for a great price and its geometry suited my preferences better. I threw on my 650b wheels from my previous gravel bike because here in SoCal you need all the cushion you can get for the chunky gravel we have here. Otherwise stock.

It rides amazingly, best power transfer of any bike I've ever ridden even including road bikes. With road tires, it feels even faster than my road bike thanks to the short 420mm chainstays (I won't buy any gravel bike that has longer chainstays than that). My favorite handling trait is the steering as it doesn't flop around despite the head angle being 70 degrees thanks to extra fork offset, meaning the steering feels quick on the road yet amazingly stable on steep off road descents. And it's even pretty comfortable too. You can really tell this is a high end frame. Big upgrade from my previous ebay open mold carbon frame!

Likes For Soundtallica:
Old 06-10-20, 10:45 PM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Soundtallica
My new pride and joy, a Look 765 Gravel RS. I was debating getting the new 2021 Diverge, but ultimately this won out because I was able to get one of the last medium frames from the previous model years for a great price and its geometry suited my preferences better. I threw on my 650b wheels from my previous gravel bike because here in SoCal you need all the cushion you can get for the chunky gravel we have here. Otherwise stock.

It rides amazingly, best power transfer of any bike I've ever ridden even including road bikes. With road tires, it feels even faster than my road bike thanks to the short 420mm chainstays (I won't buy any gravel bike that has longer chainstays than that). My favorite handling trait is the steering as it doesn't flop around despite the head angle being 70 degrees thanks to extra fork offset, meaning the steering feels quick on the road yet amazingly stable on steep off road descents. And it's even pretty comfortable too. You can really tell this is a high end frame. Big upgrade from my previous ebay open mold carbon frame!

Beautiful.
Old 06-11-20, 12:05 PM
shroomaroom

Bikes: Genesis Croix de Fer 20, Surly Steamroller

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Likes For shroomaroom:
Old 06-24-20, 06:56 AM
Phatman

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
My new pride and joy, a Look 765 Gravel RS.
Nice! This frame is on my short list, the geometry is exactly what I'm "LOOK"ing for. Whats the weight on the 105 model?
Old 06-24-20, 10:23 AM
Soundtallica

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatman
Nice! This frame is on my short list, the geometry is exactly what I'm "LOOK"ing for. Whats the weight on the 105 model?
I don't have a scale so I can't verify, but JensonUSA gives you a cute "guarantee of quality" card with bikes you buy from them that show the weight since they build them up before shipping to you. 21.2 lbs is what they said which is a bit heavy for a carbon bike, but then again this build comes with horribly heavy 2100 gram Shimano RS wheels and non-tubeless tires, so it'd be easy to drop that weight below 20lbs with a better wheelset and tires. The frame is quoted at around 1300g and the fork at less than 400g, so it's not like the frame is the problem. I have no idea what it weighs with the Stan's wheelset shown in the picture, but it feels significantly lighter at least.

I'm beyond my weight weenie days and I much prefer to focus on the ride quality of a frame, which this LOOK delivers in spades.
Old 06-28-20, 06:00 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
I don't have a scale so I can't verify, but JensonUSA gives you a cute "guarantee of quality" card with bikes you buy from them that show the weight since they build them up before shipping to you. 21.2 lbs is what they said which is a bit heavy for a carbon bike, but then again this build comes with horribly heavy 2100 gram Shimano RS wheels and non-tubeless tires, so it'd be easy to drop that weight below 20lbs with a better wheelset and tires. The frame is quoted at around 1300g and the fork at less than 400g, so it's not like the frame is the problem. I have no idea what it weighs with the Stan's wheelset shown in the picture, but it feels significantly lighter at least.

I'm beyond my weight weenie days and I much prefer to focus on the ride quality of a frame, which this LOOK delivers in spades.
Is that 21.2lbs with pedals?
Old 06-28-20, 10:56 AM
pennstater

Bikes: Look 765 Gravel RS, Lynskey Cooper CX, Lynskey R260

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I have the same bike. Bought a nice set of road wheels and mounted 700x32 GP5000s. Bike is a do it all dream. Replaced the 105 FD, RD and crankset with the Ultegra bits from my Look 585 not because the 105 was a problem, just because I will never ride the 585 again.
Old 06-28-20, 08:16 PM
jcg878

Bikes: make me happy

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

My Giant Revolt Advanced 2 by the Lehigh River in PA. Only upgrade thus far is absoluteBlack 48/32 oval chainrings, which I got after marking the OEM 48 into a 47 (oops). Next is ditching the lead wheels!
Old 07-02-20, 04:31 PM
Meech33

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 38 Posts
Specialized Diverge E5
Likes For Meech33:
Old 07-03-20, 08:01 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
retro gravel
rail trail and fire roads only, anything rougher and shifting would be a nightmare

So... I couldn't leave it be.
Switched to 2x10 brifters, dual pivot brakes and higher spoke count wheels. 36/26 x 11-28

Likes For droppedandlost:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.