Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

ID a Bianchi

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

ID a Bianchi

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-08, 09:07 PM
yendor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ID a Bianchi

I just picked up an old Bianchi road bike. Does anyone have any information on it? Here are some identifying marks:

- "Bianchi" decal on down tube
- "Eduardo Bianchi" eagle decal on head tube
- Shimano dropouts
- Serial number underneath the bottom bracket

From what I've been able to read in the archives, it seems like it might be a Japanese-made Bianchi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike2.jpg (64.7 KB, 429 views)
Old 03-01-08, 10:05 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
shimano dropouts pretty much guarantee a japanese-built bianchi limited. That is not necessarily a bad thing; the japanese products were very high quality. Maybe even better build quality than their italian siblings.
Old 03-01-08, 10:23 PM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Bikes: -

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shimano drop outs and the fact that the serial number is under the BB mean it IS japanese made.
You can tell the year of it by the date coding on the back of the rear derailleur(if you think it's the original)

Old 03-01-08, 10:50 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by thebikeguy
Shimano drop outs and the fact that the serial number is under the BB mean it IS japanese made...
No, it does NOT. Depending on the era, Italian manufactured frames also had serial numbers under the bottom bracket. While the Shimano dropouts greatly increase the possibility of it being Japanese, it is not certain. Only the serial number or a country of origin will tell you for sure. And while the dropouts may be Shimano, it does not necessarily mean the derailleurs are. The pic is too poor to tell for sure, but that actually looks more like a SunTour derailleur.

A list of the makes and models of the major components should help narrow down the model. The serial number will determine the year, if it is an Italian frame, though this is unlikely. Assuming the components are original, you can also try to determine component age using the information on the components page of the Vintage-Trek website. The frame features indicate it is probably early 1980s and possibly a Limited, as suggest by Luker.
Old 03-02-08, 12:05 AM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Bikes: -

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I stand correctedJust seems strange for the Italian made ones to have the Japanese drop outs.
The lists I posted are from the Trek site.

Last edited by thebikeguy; 03-02-08 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-02-08, 11:51 AM
raleighrider75
2 B Frank w/U

Bikes: 1963,1965,1968 and 1971 Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why would the Italian bikes have the Japanese components?Would it be for their lesser models?The reason I ask is I have a Bianchi road bike and am wondering if it is Italian made.It has Shimano drop outs and Suntour gears.How can you tell which is which?I was under the assumption that an easy way to tell was where the serial number was located.Under the BB-Japanese and on the seat post-Italian.I'm not sure where I read that bit of info but would like to clarify if in fact that is bs or not.
Old 03-02-08, 12:12 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Eventually everyone in the world caved in to economic reality: by the early 90's Japanese parts had arrived (including things like dropouts). The second-tier stuff from Italy (like Gipimme dropouts) had fallen on hard times, even to the point that Italianos like Bianchi stopped using them, for economic survival reasons, mostly. Really, the change happened sooner most everywhere else; Bianchi was a holdout. I remember a Raleigh rep saying that, in the manufacturing facility, the Japanese were 10 or 15 cents cheaper for a derailleur, and that was enough to force the European derailleurs out of the Raleigh lower price points (That discussion was in 1981!).

But the world turns, and fifteen years later no one can afford to use Japanese dropouts anymore. Even Taiwanese stuff is getting too expensive, and the Chinese are sewing up the market. They don't call Giant "Giant" for nothing.
Old 03-02-08, 03:40 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by raleighrider75
Why would the Italian bikes have the Japanese components?Would it be for their lesser models?The reason I ask is I have a Bianchi road bike and am wondering if it is Italian made.It has Shimano drop outs and Suntour gears.How can you tell which is which?I was under the assumption that an easy way to tell was where the serial number was located.Under the BB-Japanese and on the seat post-Italian.I'm not sure where I read that bit of info but would like to clarify if in fact that is bs or not.

I've been tracking Bianchi serial numbers for a while and in the mid-1980s there was a transition of the location, from the seat lug to the bottom bracket, on the Italian made frames. The only way to tell for sure is via the serial number format or if there is a country of origin decal. Post your serial number and I will tell you.
Old 03-04-08, 11:36 PM
yendor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the info!

The bike's components:
- derailleur: Suntour Cyclone, couldn't find any serial number.
- brakes: Dia-Compe G, with the number 1180.
- rear hub: Maillard, with the numbers 36 86.
- front hub: Suzue, no numbers
- cranks and handlebars: SR, no numbers

Based on the information at the Vintage Trek website, the 1180 on the brakes indicates November 1980 and the 36 86 on the rear hub indicates the 36th week of 1986. I'll venture to guess that the Maillard hub is not original, and that the bike was made in late 1980. There's also supposed to be a date stamped near the handlebar ends; I'll have to look when I replace the bar tape.

T-Mar: The bike's serial number looks like CS#####, where # is a number.

Finally, does anyone know what kind of steel this bike is made out of, or how I can find out? The reason I ask: I have a 1984 Valite Fuji with chipped paint and exposed metal that hasn't rusted despite a winter of commuting in the rain, while all the chipped areas on this bike are completely rusted. Maybe this is a topic for another thread...
Old 10-26-08, 08:21 PM
TaylorHRay
Commuter

Bikes: Scott early 80's mtb - commuter, French Chrome Fixie, Carbon OEM Roadie, '84 Bianchi Limited

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anybody help me out?

I just got an old bianchi.

Serial # (BB) = A 1599 L*4
FULL shimano 600 gruppo, parts say if or ie on them (rd-6207) which puts these in may/june 1984
whats left of the decals tells me "Special cromo poduzione columbus" and "made in italy"

Italmanubri bars, 3t post, brooks professional saddle, mavic rims.

Dropouts are stamped simply BIANCHI
Old 10-27-08, 06:42 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by yendor
Thanks for all the info!

The bike's components:
- derailleur: Suntour Cyclone, couldn't find any serial number.
- brakes: Dia-Compe G, with the number 1180.
- rear hub: Maillard, with the numbers 36 86.
- front hub: Suzue, no numbers
- cranks and handlebars: SR, no numbers

Based on the information at the Vintage Trek website, the 1180 on the brakes indicates November 1980 and the 36 86 on the rear hub indicates the 36th week of 1986. I'll venture to guess that the Maillard hub is not original, and that the bike was made in late 1980. There's also supposed to be a date stamped near the handlebar ends; I'll have to look when I replace the bar tape.

T-Mar: The bike's serial number looks like CS#####, where # is a number.

Finally, does anyone know what kind of steel this bike is made out of, or how I can find out? The reason I ask: I have a 1984 Valite Fuji with chipped paint and exposed metal that hasn't rusted despite a winter of commuting in the rain, while all the chipped areas on this bike are completely rusted. Maybe this is a topic for another thread...
Yes, definitely a Japanese frame but I need the complete serial number to identify the year. There should be a two number date code on the back of the parallelogram of the Cyclone derailleur. If you remove the stem, there should be a date code below the insertion line.

The Cyclone is a good derailleur. Assuming it is original would make the bicycle a mid-range model and tubing is probably a Tange or Ishiwata butted CrMo for at least the main triangle. Knowing the seat post diameter would help.

Originally Posted by TaylorHRay
Can anybody help me out?

I just got an old bianchi.

Serial # (BB) = A 1599 L*4
FULL shimano 600 gruppo, parts say if or ie on them (rd-6207) which puts these in may/june 1984
whats left of the decals tells me "Special cromo poduzione columbus" and "made in italy"

Italmanubri bars, 3t post, brooks professional saddle, mavic rims.

Dropouts are stamped simply BIANCHI
Definitely an Italian frame, manufactured in 1984 but possibly a 1985 model. Original Shimano 600 components would indicate a Bianchi Limited.
Old 05-24-14, 10:27 AM
ok22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
serial number help!

Originally Posted by T-Mar
I've been tracking Bianchi serial numbers for a while and in the mid-1980s there was a transition of the location, from the seat lug to the bottom bracket, on the Italian made frames. The only way to tell for sure is via the serial number format or if there is a country of origin decal. Post your serial number and I will tell you.
I have a bianchi Frame with SHIMANO SF dropouts from what i can see.. the serial number is AS11991 any ideas?
Old 07-08-20, 08:03 PM
Michael247365

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Branching serial number

serial number on seat post is 3n3514. Anything you can tell me would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-08-20, 08:21 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Michael247365
serial number on seat post is 3n3514. Anything you can tell me would be appreciated. Thanks.
Welcome to the forums. The frame was manufactured in Italy during late 1983 and is almost certainly a 1984 model. Bianchi serial numbers do not include coding for models or tubing.
Old 07-21-20, 04:29 PM
KenRick

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hi,
I'm new to the forum, made a recent purchase and would like some help identifying this frame set.

Serial # (BB) = D2660
decals state TSX ultra-light, reparto corse, made in italy, campione del mondo
W​​​​​​ill post picture when I figure out how

Mostly trying to figure out what BB threading it is as I haven't played with the crankset yet.

Thanks in advance for you help!
Old 07-21-20, 05:59 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Can't really i.d. without photos...TSX is a great tube set.... some say heavy/stiff but still very high end for its day, etc.
BB is Itialian....sounds like a great bike, but you would get better responses if you started a new thread....
BTW welcome to BF.
Best, Ben

Does it look like this?
https://steel-vintage.com/bianchi-re...e-1990s-detail

From another Bike related site:
https://forums.roadbikereview.com/beginners-corner/what-reparto-corse-components-313093.html
B.F.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...rto-corse.html
Ken Rick

Last edited by xiaoman1; 07-21-20 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-22-20, 01:22 PM
KenRick

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks Ben!

I haven't figured out the pictures yet but it looks identical to one of the links you provided:

Help identifying a Bianchi Reparto Corse

Will also put in more appropriate location soon-
Thanks again
-KenRick
Old 07-22-20, 03:42 PM
T-Mar

A Bianchi with TSX Ultralight would be circa 1995-1997. In the USA they were marketed as Bianchi TSX if sold as a frameset or Bianchi TSX plus the group name (i.e. Bianchi TSX Chorus) if sold as a bicycle. As noted, BB threading should be Italian.
Old 07-24-20, 03:32 PM
KenRick

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks - it's odd, the BB shell measures 68mm so it seems it wouldn't be Italian.

Will start a new thread with photos when I can!
Old 07-24-20, 06:18 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by KenRick
Thanks - it's odd, the BB shell measures 68mm so it seems it wouldn't be Italian.
What is the BB cup diameter and threading? During that vintage, 1.375x24 = Japanese and 36x24 = Italian
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-20-20, 10:10 AM
KenRick

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I pulled this shimano BB off the frame set. It's 1.37x24. It's odd, but the sticker on there shows made in italy so I would like to believe it hasnt been tampered with. Hopefully I can post pictures now that I'm 10 post in. Thanks.

Last edited by KenRick; 09-20-20 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-03-20, 07:48 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I just picked up a Bianchi sport sx

Serial # S761769
its on the bottom bracket
would really appreciate any help identifying the year and where made
pretty sure it is Japan
Old 09-12-20, 12:40 AM
LucaG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, definitely a Japanese frame but I need the complete serial number to identify the year. There should be a two number date code on the back of the parallelogram of the Cyclone derailleur. If you remove the stem, there should be a date code below the insertion line.

The Cyclone is a good derailleur. Assuming it is original would make the bicycle a mid-range model and tubing is probably a Tange or Ishiwata butted CrMo for at least the main triangle. Knowing the seat post diameter would help.

Definitely an Italian frame, manufactured in 1984 but possibly a 1985 model. Original Shimano 600 components would indicate a Bianchi Limited.
Super useful info. Have been trying to ID my frame serial number 14223 D6.

Looking at the 1986 catalogue it seems tricky to match. Closer to a few in the 87 catalogue.

some of the details are:

Formula Two tubeset
Giepiemme dropouts read, Bianchi on the fork
”square” Bianchi engraving on seat stays
Crest on fork crown.

The colour and chromed fork seem odd for the year but am sure there were a few outliers.

Also the Bianchi forkends seem inconsistent in combo with the Giepiemme on a Formula Two frame from 87. So seemingly another anomaly there.

I initially thought it could be a Trofeo, Nuovo Allora or Limited which, for all intents and purposes, seemed identical in terms of frame spec for that year.

The frame is in a state and needs some real love, which it will be getting. But would appreciate any help identifying based on the above if at all possible.

Thanks!
L
Old 11-19-20, 03:22 PM
Willma

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by t-mar
i've been tracking bianchi serial numbers for a while and in the mid-1980s there was a transition of the location, from the seat lug to the bottom bracket, on the italian made frames. The only way to tell for sure is via the serial number format or if there is a country of origin decal. Post your serial number and i will tell you.
h4a11523
Old 11-19-20, 04:03 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Willma
h4a11523
Welcome to the forums. Your serial number format is consistent with a Taiwanese manufacturer, Hodaka, who was a known contractor for Bianchi bicycles. Hodaka didn't start manufacturing Bianchi until the very late 1980s, so this should be a 1994 model. Unfortunately, the serial number does not include information necessary to identify the bicycle model. To determine that, we'll need the brand and models of the major components (derailleurs, crankset, brakes) or, preferably, photographs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.