Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Old 11-16-18, 01:39 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigoCross
@Travbikeman
what size of nimbus do you use? 700c x 35? Also are these on the standard wheels.

thanks in advance
Yes, these fit fine on the standard wheels. You can actually go all the way down to 700x28 on the standard wheels, but not sure if thats a good idea on the Crosstrail though. The 700cx35 Nimbus is the smallest I can go on my newer wheels though.

Pictured here the 700x35 Nimbus on my original wheels.

Likes For travbikeman:
Old 11-16-18, 03:48 PM
CraigoCross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How you finding the different wheels. What the advantages of them?
Old 11-16-18, 07:13 PM
travbikeman

How you finding the different wheels. What the advantages of them?
Well, I got a 29" mountain bike set of wheels with 36 spokes since I'm a clyde and needed something more robust. The original wheel on the Crosstrail kept popping spokes after I ran through rocks after my son with his mountain bike. That wheel is now used when hooking my Crosstrail up to the trainer.

Advantage is the new wheels are able to handle rough terrain better. Disadvantage, I don't feel the road like I did on the original wheels when riding on the pavement. It kind of mutes the feel which some may say that's a good thing.
I haven't had a spoke pop since getting them though.

I posted here (post 437) a picture of the new wheels: Weinmann wheels on Crosstrail

Oh and another picture (post 944) with my Conti's earlier this year with the new wheels: Conti Tires on Weinmann Wheels

Last edited by travbikeman; 11-16-18 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-18-18, 03:38 PM
CraigoCross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What mudguards are you guys using not looking dor a full coverage ones, maybe the ones that fit on the downtube or along that lines?
Old 11-19-18, 07:35 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
What mudguards are you guys using not looking dor a full coverage ones, maybe the ones that fit on the downtube or along that lines?
I use this "Dave Guy" model mudguard by PDW. It's nice because the shield itself goes on an off with snaps so I can just leave the mounting on the bike all the time and quickly put the guard on when I need it. In the back I have a basic rack from Performance Bike that serves well as a rear fender. Note the nice, clean water bottles...

After a day of use on the C&O Towpath trail.
Old 12-01-18, 02:36 PM
dani11123

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have just ordered the crosstrail elite model to collect in a few days, got home and realised the shop has ordered me the 2018 model and they have listed the 2019 model on their website. Is there much difference in spec as they look the same and im clueless as to which components are better
Old 12-01-18, 06:28 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by dani11123
I have just ordered the crosstrail elite model to collect in a few days, got home and realised the shop has ordered me the 2018 model and they have listed the 2019 model on their website. Is there much difference in spec as they look the same and im clueless as to which components are better
Past few years for the Crosstrails with the A1 frames, the only real difference has been color changes. About 2 years ago, Specialized switched from a triple crank-set to a double. Lower end models received hydraulic brakes and few other changes. Looking at Great Britain's Specialized site, it doesn't appear anything has changed, but the colors.

The greatest changes had been with the upper level Crosstrail models, from switching from the E5 Premium alum frames to the carbon frames. But it appears that Specialized has not posted even on GB site the upper level models. Unsure if they are coming back or not. Past few years Specialized usually has this all posted by now.
Old 12-01-18, 07:40 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked 1,184 Times in 603 Posts
Originally Posted by dani11123
The 18 and 19 Crosstrail Elite (aluminum) are in all respects identical, apart possibly from colour. You can compare the two here: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh...t=#result-list

If there is any difference at all, it's that the 18 has metal pads on the front brake, resin on the rear, whereas the 19 has resin pads all around. That's it, and that can be changed at point-of-sale if it is a concern. In all other respects they are identical.

The carbon-framed ones (Elite and Expert) are discontinued. Regional Specialized distributors may have 18s still in stock (Canada does), but there are no 2019 versions.
Old 01-22-19, 05:37 AM
novecho_delta

Bikes: 2022 'Eventyr Ravn' Custom Ti Touring Bike, 2017 Norco VFR4 (Drop Bar Conversion), 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm turning my '09 Crosstrail Elite into a more capable XC/all-purpose bike and I'm struggling to find decent XC 1 1/8" suspension forks. Has anyone tried fitting a 1 1/2" to 1 1/8" tapered headset using an external bottom bearing or some other solution?
- novecho_delta
Old 01-22-19, 07:14 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by novecho_delta
I'm turning my '09 Crosstrail Elite into a more capable XC/all-purpose bike and I'm struggling to find decent XC 1 1/8" suspension forks. Has anyone tried fitting a 1 1/2" to 1 1/8" tapered headset using an external bottom bearing or some other solution?
- novecho_delta
I think that at least some of the tapered headset adapter sets require a 44mm bottom bracket bearing size...not quite 1-1/2" size, but larger than typical 1-1/8" size.

Most good XC forks are available in a straight steer tube version. The Suntour XCR air fork is, and various Manitou and Rock Shox forks are as well. Some of the hard core ones are available only in tapered, but there is a good variety offered with straight tubes. What exactly are you seeking (in a fork)?
Old 01-22-19, 07:23 AM
novecho_delta

Bikes: 2022 'Eventyr Ravn' Custom Ti Touring Bike, 2017 Norco VFR4 (Drop Bar Conversion), 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm looking at 120mm forks that are easy to service, made by companies that have a good reputation. I was interested in an SR Suntour fork, but their reputation for reliability has me worried. Same with Manitou. I think the Rockshox Recon RL is the best option, but that doesn't come in a 120mm option for 29" wheels and a 1 1/8" steerer tube.

By the way, what is the largest tyre one can fit to the frame and still safely clear the chainstay?

Thanks.
- novecho_delta
Old 01-22-19, 07:43 AM
hokiefyd 

A 120mm fork will change the geometry of the bike quite a bit (the stock fork is a 63mm fork), and it will also significantly change the standover height. The front of the bike frame will be raised by 57mm (about 2-1/2"). This will be quite a change from stock. Suntour make decent forks when you go up in the line. XCR and Raidon are generally noted to be pretty good (both air forks), but I don't know about serviceability. Suntour get a pretty bad reputation for "cheap" forks due to the millions of trekking/comfort forks they make. And even those aren't "poor quality"...they're just designed for a certain use and a certain price point that isn't comparable to nice aftermarket forks. Suntour's aftermarket fork offerings are generally pretty good from what I understand.

Check out the sickbiker YouTube channel -- I think he recently did a video or two about the XCR air forks...possibly even servicing them.
Old 01-22-19, 10:55 AM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by novecho_delta
I'm looking at 120mm forks that are easy to service, made by companies that have a good reputation. I was interested in an SR Suntour fork, but their reputation for reliability has me worried. Same with Manitou. I think the Rockshox Recon RL is the best option, but that doesn't come in a 120mm option for 29" wheels and a 1 1/8" steerer tube.

By the way, what is the largest tyre one can fit to the frame and still safely clear the chainstay?

Thanks.
- novecho_delta
I know that my Crosstrail is 68mm, so as Hokiefd stated, the 120mm fork would really mess up your bikes dimensions. If you want a better suspension fork, one recommendation is below:

Rockshox Paragon

There are also many touring forks (non shock) out there that can be used. I myself have been considering this:

Surly ECR 29

Before you choose any of the above though, you may want to verify the length of your fork, since it could be a different size than what I have.

Regarding tire size, there have been a few Crosstrail owners whom used a 29er mountain tire, believe it was up to 2" Anything larger would be too big. Think they posted around pages 14-24 on the Crosstrail thread. Should have images of them if you look through the pages.

Last edited by travbikeman; 01-22-19 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-22-19, 11:06 AM
novecho_delta

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have a 75mm RST front fork (which is rubbish and is now frozen shut) I've already tested the slacker geometry of a 120mm fork. Forgive me for this, but I put 5 cm of headset spacers under my headtube to simulate a 120mm fork, and it worked for me.

I'll take a look at SR Suntour XC forks, but I'm probably going to go with the RockShox Recon RL. Would there be any issues (besides slacker geometry) with that fork on my frame?
Cheers!
​​​​​​​ - novecho_delta
Old 01-22-19, 01:52 PM
hokiefyd 

Besides the change in geometry, you'll need to ensure that your brake cable or hydraulic hose is long enough to reach the longer distance down to the axle. This is easy to fix, but you'll need to plan for it if you don't have that much free slack in the line currently.
Old 01-25-19, 08:25 AM
novecho_delta

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm purchasing new brakes anyway, so that won't be a problem.
Old 03-12-19, 05:58 PM
munkeyfish 

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrails Disc XL Frame. 2021 Trek Verve 2 Step Through XL frame.

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
So it looks like they are no longer making them? I don't see them on the website. Am I correct?
Old 03-13-19, 05:56 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by munkeyfish
So it looks like they are no longer making them? I don't see them on the website. Am I correct?
No longer making what? Specialized no longer making the Crosstrail? It looks like they are (link). Rockshox no longer making the Paragon Gold? It looks like they are (link).
Old 03-13-19, 06:02 AM
munkeyfish 

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrails Disc XL Frame. 2021 Trek Verve 2 Step Through XL frame.

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
No longer making what? Specialized no longer making the Crosstrail? It looks like they are (link). Rockshox no longer making the Paragon Gold? It looks like they are (link).

The Crosstrail.

Dummy me, missed the page numbers at the bottom... This is what happens when you are away for a bit and forget how much fun it is to look at the websites. nm me, carry on. And thank you,
Old 03-13-19, 06:54 AM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by munkeyfish
The Crosstrail.

Dummy me, missed the page numbers at the bottom... This is what happens when you are away for a bit and forget how much fun it is to look at the websites. nm me, carry on. And thank you,
They did stop making the upper level models, no more carbon bikes on the Crosstrail, but the Ariel has a carbon? Guess the sales are still there.

What is confusing is Specialized doesn't even offer the Crosstrail Elite anymore in the U.S. Just the Sport and below. Wondering if the Gravel bikes are biting at sales on these bikes in the U.S.?
Old 03-13-19, 01:36 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked 1,184 Times in 603 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
They did stop making the upper level models, no more carbon bikes on the Crosstrail, but the Ariel has a carbon? Guess the sales are still there.

What is confusing is Specialized doesn't even offer the Crosstrail Elite anymore in the U.S. Just the Sport and below. Wondering if the Gravel bikes are biting at sales on these bikes in the U.S.?
Peculiar thing is, the Crosstrail Elite -- 2019 -- actually is on the U.S. site, but buried in Bike Archive. Very odd. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/cr...=237275-157784

As far as sales, I think it simply comes down to the fact that folks in N.A. generally won't pay for a 'hybrid' above a certain price point. Makes absolutely no sense to me, but there it is. I've ordered a Sirrus X Comp, but had something like a carbon Crosstrail w/Paragon fork, XT drivetrain/brakes been available at a not-excessive price that is what I would have gone for. But it isn't, so I didn't.
Old 03-26-19, 05:40 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I rode my CrossTrail again after a break of many months. I had an awkward start to CrossTrail ownership with poor braking, inability to find new brake pads (even after asking Specialized!), some problems with brake bleeding, and a stripped rear calliper thread to top it all.

I avoided riding the bike as a result.

However, the bike was sorted out by the Specialized store that I bought it from last year, and I went out for a 2-hour ride last weekend.

I'm back in love with the bike again!

It's probably the best bike that I currently own and the addition of a Topeak Super Tourist DX Rack with a Topeak MTX Trunk Bag DXP clipped onto it has made it a very versatile bike. By the way, I really recommend that rack/bag combo. It's a clip-on bag so not secure, but that's not an issue for me. The bag itself is just brilliant with superb levels of cushioned storage and expandability.

As for the poor braking, I've figured out what the issue was. I was comparing it to one of my other bikes where the brakes 'grab' instantly and the wheels are easy to lock. With the CrossTrail, I found that the braking is more progressive and that it needs more pressure to get strong braking, so it's just a matter of adapting.

I'll definitely be riding it more this year.
Old 03-26-19, 05:43 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
They did stop making the upper level models, no more carbon bikes on the Crosstrail, but the Ariel has a carbon?
So was the 2018 CrossTrail Expert Carbon the last carbon CrossTrail model?
Old 03-26-19, 01:42 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by taz777
So was the 2018 CrossTrail Expert Carbon the last carbon CrossTrail model?
For the U.S. market, it appears so. Not sure if it's selling in other country's.

I never got a chance to really look at one, other than images in this forum. No LBS in my area ever had one. So I'm assuming even the LBS's were thinking it was too expensive for consumers in this country. ??
Old 04-25-19, 06:02 PM
Jakespaar

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Sirrus X Comp Carbon & 1990's Diamondback Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyone tell me how much a 2018 or 2019 Specialized CrossTrail Elite weights in Medium? I haven't been able to look up this information, or get it from Specialized.

I'm trying to decide between the Specialized CrossTrail Elite vs Trek Dual Sport 4 vs Cannondale Quick CX 1/CX2, and weight is one of many factors that I'm considering (I created a post about this yesterday in the Hybrid section).

Apologizes if this has already been asked and answered (I haven't read through all 33 pages of this thread).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.