Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Litmus test for first century

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-10, 07:49 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

What level of weekly training should you be at before thinking about your first century?
53 y/0 5'8" 237lb .
Old 09-19-10, 08:25 PM
hammond9705

Liked 598 Times in 106 Posts
If you can do a 60-70 mi ride a couple of weeks ahead of time and feel OK, you should be ready.
Old 09-19-10, 08:27 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I'm not sure what a good answer would be for that.

For me, I started riding some of the charity rides and just increased the milage. When I could do a 100k and still feel pretty good at the end, I went for a flat century.

Part of it is your expectations on the century, too. If you think doing a 10-hour century is okay, it makes it easier. If you're a roadie that thinks anything under 20 mph is unacceptable, then it takes a bit more doing.

Also consider that there is a big variation in hilliness of the average century depending on where you live. On a flat century, nearly anyone can eventually mosey their way through it given enough time, and assuming wind and heat aren't terrible problems.
Old 09-19-10, 09:50 PM
dbikingman

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the 60 - 70 mile mentioned above is a good test. A metric century fits the bill. I find that once you get to that distance you start to have the bike fit drilled in. If you get done and feel good then going the extra distance is just a matter of nutrition, a break, and pacing yourself. With a 30 - 40 mile ride you can just get by on fitness and hydration going furhter starts to deal with nutrition and breaks, taking a break earlier than you think you need one.

How quickly you can get to the century depends on you past fitness level or bicycling history. If you have ridden for a few years never going over 40 miles, but riding 20-30 miles regularly to increase to the century can be fairly quick. If you haven't been acitve it might be good to plan for a century next summer or fall depending how much you ride during the winter.
Old 09-20-10, 06:03 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
You should be riding at least 100 miles per week. That is 5 days a week of 20 mile rides. A few weeks before the century do a 50 miler. Then a 60 or 70 miler the next weekend to get used to being on bike for longer periods of time.
Old 09-20-10, 08:52 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Sounds like I'll be extending my 11 mile daily commute and continuing the work on weekends.

Thanks guys!