Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Small wheels MTB

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Small wheels MTB

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-16, 03:51 PM
manases

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Small wheels MTB

Hi guys

I got an unusual problem for you today.
I need a mtb with small wheels.
Does something like this exists?
I need 24 - 22 inch wheels.
I am 1.74 m height, 72kg.

I know about the BMX but they dont have suspensions and gears also they are 20 inch wheels isnt it?
I think you can find front suspensions form BMX with 2 inch travel and also can fit internal gears with 3 speeds or smth like that.

But still - nothing else? How about 22 inch MTB for adults full suspension and all that?

Why?
I do offroading (in a car) and then I would like to have a small bike to take it ouf of the trunk and explore the camping area.
The relief is usually forest so i need it to be very maneuverable. I used 22 before and cant go to 26 now for the forest - I need that menevrability.
Old 11-18-16, 05:07 PM
bikeclub

Bikes: Many machines in pieces on the ground.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by manases
I need a mtb with small wheels.

I do offroading (in a car) and then I would like to have a small bike to take it ouf of the trunk and explore the camping area
Bike Friday builds folding bikes, including a MTB version with 20" wheels called the Pocket Llama.
Old 11-18-16, 05:18 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Here's a good 24in suspension fork. SR Suntour XCR LO Air 24 Suspension Fork 24 1 1/8 threadless steerer disc brake
You could potentially use that with disc brakes and 20in wheels.

Other than folding/travel bikes, you're unlikely to find a small wheel bike that fits an adult. How long a distance are you talking about?
Old 11-19-16, 01:44 AM
manases

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would stay away from folding bikes - I would rather have quickrelease wheels.
Actually... can yo have quick release wheels on 22? At least front should be possible.
Distance.. not sure. Somewhere between 1 to 4 hours I think. Is not going to be the purpose of the trip - maybe half of it.

small wheel bike that fits an adult
- I think this is what I am looking for
I use to go with the bike on the hills long ago - 15 years or more but I would like to try again. I tried on a 26 recently and is not something I could do/like in a forest. I dont have time to build my own bike from parts and stuff (that would be cool...) So Ideally I am looking for a ready to buy bike.
But if not possible then I guess I will have to start making a plan for building from parts.

So.. I think I will go with a 22.
would this kind of frame be a good start? 2017 MX Expert XL | Redline Bicycles
I would put on it -
- front suspension,
- quick release
- maybe bigger tires if possible (at least rear),
- mud protections (if possible)
- internal gears
- a 24 inch bike handles - the 22 look too high? will have to test on that.
Old 11-19-16, 08:44 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Fuel EX Jr | Trek Bikes
will be very good for tight places ~
Old 11-19-16, 12:21 PM
FrozenK

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
Fuel EX Jr | Trek Bikes
will be very good for tight places ~
That's a 26-inch wheeled bike with a 13-inch frame. It will not fit a 1.74m (5'8.5") adult.

Nor do I understand why the OP could possibly want 20-inch tires and full suspension. If the trail is so tight you need a short wheel base you won't be going fast enough to need suspension. But what do I know?
Old 11-19-16, 03:49 PM
manases

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for replies. I replied yesterday but not sure what happened with the post. Do posts need to be reviewd by admins or smth? Or maybe internet was donwn for a sec..
anyway
let em try again

so I dont think a folding bike will work.
you're unlikely to find a small wheel bike that fits an adult
This is what I was hoping for but in this case i will consider making one myself from parts - 22in most likely.

I havent done this for 15 or more years so I dont know very much what is new.
I plan to start with a light frame smth like this type: 2017 MX Expert XL | Redline Bicycles
then put on it a few things like
- front suspension
- I think I might put handles of a 24 inch as they are a bit shorter?
- can I have quick release on the wheels - front should work not sure about the rear
- bigger tire on rear if possible
- mud protections
- gears into the wheels

Distance could be one - to 4 hours. Terrain - forest - no trail just exploring. It could go down and I am too old for this not to have suspensions.

Do you guys think this sounds like a good setup?
Old 11-19-16, 06:17 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
OP your 5 feet 7 Inches tall..

Get a 27.5" wheeled hard tail, most ADULT small frame sizes should fit you.

But sounds like you need the help of a LOCAL BIKE SHOP,,, they should be able to fit you..

If your set on 20" wheels, well we do mountain bikes in this section,, try a BMX section..
Old 11-20-16, 04:00 AM
manases

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok yes will try in the BMX then
Old 11-24-16, 12:12 AM
MisterK
S'toon trail rider!

Bikes: 2011 Norco Mountaineer(XC/Trails), 2011 Jamis Commuter1(commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You say 24" wheels are acceptable? Maybe try a dirt jumper. There is lots of options at 24". Atleast more than you'll find at 22 or 20 without being a straight up bmx
Old 11-25-16, 11:03 PM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Burro Bikes used to make a 20" fat tire mountain bike made exactly for this. Google Burro Bikes bicycle and prepare to wait for a used one on eBay/Craigslist. The Cannondale Hooligan with knobbies should do well. Could also throw a 20" suspension fork on it. Heck, there's an Origin 8 Bully on eBay right now.

Last edited by ed; 11-26-16 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-27-16, 06:59 PM
BISCUT

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Get a 27.5" wheeled hard tail, most ADULT small frame sizes should fit you.

But sounds like you need the help of a LOCAL BIKE SHOP,,, they should be able to fit you..

If your set on 20" wheels, well we do mountain bikes in this section,, try a BMX section..
Plus 1. Sounds like a 27.5 hardtail would be a good fit for your needs. MTBS are largely thru axle and quick release makes removing the wheels pretty quick and easy.
Old 11-28-16, 04:54 AM
manases

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for reply guys.
Especially MisterK and ed - ed those look very nice but will be difficult to fit good suspension. I think I will go with MisterK suggestion as I dont have much time to fiddle with this.
I found this so far:
DJ 24 - KHS BicyclesKHS Bicycles
Ryde 24 - Steel - Bikes - Norco Bicycles (but cant find this in Europe sadly)
and
https://mountain-bikes.gearsuite.com/...015-GT-Bump-24

How can I tell if they are for kids or adults? Will they/any fit me? (1.74m - 5'8.5")
And what weight do they are usually? Would like a 10-11kg if possible.
Old 11-28-16, 11:10 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
With the OP's height, they could ride a 29er, 1.74m is not short ( I ride with people shorter than that who ride 29ers), for looking for anything below 27.5 today, nothing is designed (primarily)for them now, even tires are having the latest designs optimised for larger (27.5 & 29") wheels, for below 26" forget it, it never really existed in the first place.
Old 11-29-16, 08:57 AM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
People are all missing the OP's point. He wants a tiny bike that will fit in his car easily. Cannondale Hooligan, Origin 8 Bully, etc...

He doesn't want a 29er

Last edited by ed; 11-29-16 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-29-16, 09:05 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Have a look at this:https://www.montaguebikes.com/folding-mountain-bikes/

Folds up nicely, yet big enough so that you should fit well on it. No need to faff about building your own, adding sus forks to frames not meant for it etc.
Old 11-29-16, 01:11 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by ed
People are all missing the OP's point. He wants a tiny bike that will fit in his car easily. Cannondale Hooligan, Origin 8 Bully, etc...

He doesn't want a 29er
Heh, I love threads like this where most everything posted by the OP is ignored and suggestions are made that directly conflict with the OP's needs/wants.
The responses are all in good faith and a desire to be helpful, but it still creates chuckles when reading from afar.
Old 11-29-16, 01:18 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Heh, I love threads like this where most everything posted by the OP is ignored and suggestions are made that directly conflict with the OP's needs/wants.
The responses are all in good faith and a desire to be helpful, but it still creates chuckles when reading from afar.

This is done when the OP's directives and wants are completely illogical and not in tune with anything even remotely close to being available -

As for my advice, I would advise the OP to sack up and learn to ride a 26" MTB, --- takedown and setup is pretty easy when the seat and wheels are equipped with quick releases

If the trail is genuinely too tight to ride a 26'er, its time to start hiking
Old 11-29-16, 01:30 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
This is done when the OP's directives and wants are completely illogical and not in tune with anything even remotely close to being available -

As for my advice, I would advise the OP to sack up and learn to ride a 26" MTB, --- takedown and setup is pretty easy when the seat and wheels are equipped with quick releases

If the trail is genuinely too tight to ride a 26'er, its time to start hiking
Sure, if the search isnt possible, then suggest other things. But there have been responses like suggesting a 650b bike with a 12" frame for kids and to ride a 29er. That isnt even close to the same thing as what the OP wants.

Example-
I asked in the mechanics forum for suggestions on a quality MTB crank thats for kids as I have only found 2 and neither is exactly cheap. and by cheap, Im talking like $50ish, what a Deore crank and BB cost new on ebay.
Nobody had specific options, but did help in other ways. I would have laughed had posters linked 175mm Deore cranksets and suggested I try those. It would have been funny to me as the help was giving me an option that is totally useless due to being the opposite of what I am looking for. Same as suggesting a 29er to someone who wants a small wheel for maneuverability and easy packing(into the car).

Just posting- 'I am not aware of what you are wanting, but if you would be willing to ride a 26er, then you could look into .......' is way more helpful.
Old 11-29-16, 01:56 PM
manases

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure how this website works - my posts seem to stay with days until are approved by admins.

I used both 20 and 26 and I am very happy with small wheels and unhappy with big ones. This should not be a pb for anyone to accept it.
Anyway I wont buy anything more than 24 so who is advising this is a waste of time and everything else - please stop.
Lots of thanks to the ppl answering my questions they are very helpful I am searching all day long what they said.
Old 11-29-16, 02:57 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Not sure how this website works - my posts seem to stay with days until are approved by admins.

I used both 20 and 26 and I am very happy with small wheels and unhappy with big ones. This should not be a pb for anyone to accept it.
Anyway I wont buy anything more than 24 so who is advising this is a waste of time and everything else - please stop.
Lots of thanks to the ppl answering my questions they are very helpful I am searching all day long what they said.

Someone already mentioned the Cannondale Hooligan -- try to find one of those on ebay, --- and then prepare to be under-whelmed at how bad it sucks on a real trail with roots, rocks and other things

There's a reason small wheels are relegated to either bmx, or little kid's bikes
Old 11-29-16, 03:20 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Not going to find a full suspension bike with 24" wheels. Not made. They make jump bikes and park bikes with 24" wheels. Not with suspension. Get a bike rack for the back of the car? Or the roof of the car. Any sized bike will fit on it. What will 2" difference of wheel size make? Not much. Tighter singletrack than here in New England? People ride all sized wheels on it. Good luck finding unicorn tears carried by bigfoot.
Old 11-29-16, 03:42 PM
yak bacon pie
Banned

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about 22 inch MTB for adults full suspension and all that?

I used 22 before and cant go to 26 now for the forest - I need that menevrability(sic).
This is the crux of the issue:

Millions of adults around the world have fun riding in the forest on tight trails using adult bikes with wheels ranging from 26" to 29" (even 36" but I won't go there because your head will probably explode).

The problem is not with the valid suggestions that folks have provided but rather with that guy you see when you look in the mirror.

p.s. you can fit 26, 27.5, and 29" wheeled bikes in most trunks. Or back seats. Or bike racks.
Old 11-29-16, 03:43 PM
yak bacon pie
Banned

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Not going to find a full suspension bike with 24" wheels. Not made.
Try again?

Just one example:

KONA BIKES | MTB | KIDS' | Stinky 24
Old 11-30-16, 03:11 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Well there ya go. Kids bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.