Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone using Conti GP5000 TL?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-19, 08:39 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts

I have tried them and after maybe 6 weeks I cut the back tire. I replaced it and within 2 weeks I cut that one also. Both times I had to put a tube in it to get home. I have never cut a GP 4000. That is the reason I went the the 5000 when I went tubeless.

Is there a problem with them or is it just me having a run of bad luck?

Thanks
Old 09-18-19, 03:18 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
I have tried them and after maybe 6 weeks I cut the back tire. I replaced it and within 2 weeks I cut that one also. Both times I had to put a tube in it to get home. I have never cut a GP 4000. That is the reason I went the the 5000 when I went tubeless.

Is there a problem with them or is it just me having a run of bad luck?

Thanks
Probably the luck of the draw.

I had similar luck with GP4000 tires. Cut a sidewall almost immediately on my first pair. I think at mile 34.

My first pair of GP5000TL either came with an imperfection in the sidewall that I didn't notice, or maybe I hit some road debris and caused it. Hard to tell. Then I picked up a puncture that Stan's Race didn't seal and I messed the tire up trying to plug it. I don't recall how many miles I got out of those tires, but it was disappointing. Maybe 300-500. I contacted Continental via email when I noticed the sidewall defect, but they failed to respond. After I goofed the tire up trying to plug the puncture, it really didn't matter.

My second set of GP5000TL now have over 2300 miles on them and they're going strong. The wear indicators show plenty of life left in them. And with Orange Seal, I'm guessing maybe a couple of dozen punctures have held so far without a problem (based on tiny Orange Seal boogers on both tires). I've heard a couple of them and found a nice layer of latex sprayed evenly on the back of the seat post tube. So, lots of punctures. So far so good.