Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Torque Wrench Adapter

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Torque Wrench Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-19, 01:28 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Torque Wrench Adapter

I am trying to replace out-front Garmin mount on my bike with another brand. LBS had installed the first one but I can't tighten the bolts with the torque wrench that I have (the head of the wrench is too short). Should I get an extender or something or just take it back to the shop since they have the tools? Thank you!
Old 12-26-19, 01:58 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
If you're talking about little M5 bolts that take a 4mm hex wrench, and usually tighten to 5Nm, learn to tighten them with a short handled hex wrench. You really have to try hard to exceed 5Nm with a short handle.

The same goes for the bolts used to secure the seat post and saddle. If you can't make adjustments out on the road, without a torque wrench, you're in trouble.
Old 12-26-19, 02:04 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
If you're talking about little M5 bolts that take a 4mm hex wrench, and usually tighten to 5Nm, learn to tighten them with a short handled hex wrench. You really have to try hard to exceed 5Nm with a short handle.

The same goes for the bolts used to secure the seat post and saddle. If you can't make adjustments out on the road, without a torque wrench, you're in trouble.
Just remember to make the clicking noise and everything will work out just fine.
Old 12-26-19, 02:09 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Be sure to loosen those bolts with a torque wrench too.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-26-19, 03:22 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
The bolts on those out front mounts are usually rated for 1 newton meter of torque which will require a very expensive microtorque wrench
Old 12-26-19, 05:32 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,497 Posts
forget the shop,

use one of these;

https://www.amazon.com/IceToolz-Mult...2E0294XWTEBQW9
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 12-27-19, 08:28 AM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS

This is a very good tip thank you!

Originally Posted by '02 nrs
Excellent. I think this should take care of the job!

Last edited by rower2cyclist; 12-27-19 at 09:11 AM.
Likes For rower2cyclist:
Old 12-27-19, 05:15 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
If you have an aluminum bar tighten just enough so you can rotate the mount pushing by hand. This way if you fall the mount won’t break or break you. For carbon I’d do the same but use the torque wrench so as not to crush the bar. For round bars not likely but I don’t want to be responsible for your breakage.

I like to tighten my controls just enough so they will still rotate. Come from off road background.