Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to access Ideale 80 tension nut?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-12-20, 07:46 AM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts

I'm reviving an old Ideale 80, and I want to loosen the tensioning nut before soaking and reshaping the saddle. However, the little Brooks saddle wrench I have does not fit the Ideale nut--- the nut looks to be about a 12mm. I've tried to wedge a standard open-end 12mm wrench in there, but no luck so far--- I don't want to damage the saddle or its hardware by getting too ham-fisted with it.

Anyone have any tips/tricks? I've tried searching this site and found posts which recommend detensioning saddles before working on them. I just can't figure out how to detention mine.

Thanks in advance,

N
Old 03-12-20, 08:10 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 336 Posts
I can measure the nut on one of my Ideales next time I get to the workshop. If 12mm is too tight but almost there, try a 13mm wrench. Or get a small adjustable wrench.

Another neat trick to make using the nut easier that I've seen but not used is drilling a small hole in each face of the nut and using a rod of the same diameter as the hole to turn the nut. Removes the issue of a crescent wrench's sides hitting the saddle skirts.
Old 03-12-20, 04:37 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
You might have to grind a wrench that fits the nut so that it will fit into the space available so you can reach the nut. Man is a toolmaking animal.
Old 03-13-20, 09:07 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 747 Posts
I'm away from the workshop for several weeks, but there is a cheapo MAFAC tool kit wrench which is (I think) 12mm. I've cut their boxes in half before turning them into open end wrenches. There's not much meat on that, so it might well fit better than the Brooks wrench. If you do need to grind/file it further, it shouldn't take much effort.