Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you use this site?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-12-15, 11:45 PM
Indyspeeddmon

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I realized, while cruising the site, that I tend to routinely visit 3 forums in order. 1st I hit the general forum, then the Clydesdales/Athenas forum as I am near that size and their tips and training are motivational to me, last is the road bike forum as I only ride on the road and find a lot of good info from a lot of very focused people. I sometimes scan through other forums and I do check out the Mechanics forum when looking for a specific issue but it made me wonder how others use this site.
Do you only visit specific forums? Do you look for certain posters or topics daily? Do you post often or just read through like me? There is no right or wrong answers and I really have no reason for caring other than I am an inquisitive person and like to know answers to questions.
Old 12-13-15, 12:04 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I visit BF far too much so I generally browse the "New Posts" section. (Top left under the "Forum" button)
Old 12-13-15, 12:44 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 153 Posts
I like the guys and the vibe in Classic & Vintage; probably spend most of my time there. Also their bikes are beautiful. Even bought a frame I've always wanted from one of them. Honorable & decent fellows all.
Check in at the SoCal forum once in a while, but the weather's always so good here, they're always out riding instead of wasting time on the internet. Need to get off my butt and update the SoCal Century and Event calendar. I've posted so many pictures of myself therein over the last 8 years, that occasionally a stranger will say "T'sup Calamari?"
And I bop around to help and be helped.
Met a few dozen BF members and while the forum isn't perfect, it's an excellent resource and enhances my cycling experience.

Gosh-heck, half the time I Google a specific question, the top three pertaining links in the Google seach point back this forum.

Last edited by calamarichris; 12-13-15 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-13-15, 05:45 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Were you to use the forum properly, you'd have posted this question in foo - it has nothing to do with cycling.
Old 12-13-15, 06:39 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
I work my way down through most (but not all) of the forums from the top down ... but not as much in the top and bottom sections.

https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php
Old 12-13-15, 06:40 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Indyspeeddmon
I realized, while cruising the site, that I tend to routinely visit 3 forums in order…

Do you only visit specific forums? Do you look for certain posters or topics daily? Do you post often or just read through like me? There is no right or wrong answers and I really have no reason for caring other than I am an inquisitive person and like to know answers to questions.

Originally Posted by chasm54
Were you to use the forum properly, you'd have posted this question in foo - it has nothing to do with cycling.
Since the OP is itself off-topic, I may go off-topic in my reply, though I think it’s an interesting question I may have not seen in Foo, since I visit there sporadically.

I prefer more the experiential discussions on BF rather than the technical/materiel (hardware) Forums, so I daily visit General Discussion, Advocacy & Safety, Commuting, Fifty-Plus, Living Car Free, Road Cycling, Touring, and seasonally, Winter Cycling. As to my participation on the Forums,

Originally Posted by gerv
I often recall how BF played such a vital part in getting me out on the street and in better health....

What about you? What role did BF play in getting you out on two wheels?

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972; self-described year-round commuter, occasional centurian (in-training during the nice weather), and former cycle tourist, including a cross-country ride…I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF are:
  • the motivation and tips to ride in rain, and wintry roads, i.e. studded tires
  • the Fifty-Plus Annual rides that motivate me to train in the nice weather
  • the safety tip to watch the front wheels of a car rather than the body or hood to anticipate what the driver is going to do
  • the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise.
I have a style of posting that has been noted by others.

Originally Posted by Roody
…BTW, off-topic, I have often noticed your clever and helpful use of the forum's quote function. Along with your clear writing style, it makes your posts a delight to read.

Originally Posted by yankeefan
…Hey Jim, yeah I can never forget your trademark style of nested quotes.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
you have mad quotation skills…
By way of explanation,

Posting has become an avocation for me. Since my job requires writing formal reports, with legal implications, I consider myself a “wordsmith,” and beside the exchange of information and ideas, I enjoy the mechanics of writing, such as grammar, composition , style, etc. for that additional mental stimulation.

So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic, written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it. A further challenge then becomes finding the post.

Regards however to my specific style using the quote function, I have described it in previous Forum posts:

…Last year I came upon a post that to me embodied the communication style that I like about BF. In response to a long quote, turbo1889 wrote [not to me]:

Originally Posted by turbo1889
First of all you have no need to apologize for a lengthy post, least of all to me of all people. Part of the reason I like forums as apposed to other forms of written communal internet forms is because I consider it the "long deep conversation format" rather then the quick short snappy sound bite like format like twitter and such.
So when I nest quotes, I feel I’m emulating a conversation…”He said," then “You said," then “I said, and now I’m saying…” I leave my quotes as links to identify the author, and if anyone is interested in reading further, or verifying those quotes, they can easily be followed right from the post.

Instead of just snipping, or writing "<SNIP>” I use ellipses,"..." to eliminate as much as possible, and still leave the context of the quote comprehensible; and I bold key words and phrases to emphasize the core content of the discussion.

While even if nobody reads my posts, I do try to communicate clearly to the reader. At least I try to evenly space, and keep my paragraphs short for easier readability, FWIW.
The above reply may be "tl, dr" (too long, didn't read), but in a term borrowed from theology, it's my "Apologia pro vita sua."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-13-15 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-13-15, 06:55 AM
skye

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I generally see if I can get into any trouble on A&S; barring that, I come here and try to find trolls to make fun of. If all else fails, I poke a stick in the Helmet Thread sticky and stir up the residents there.
Old 12-13-15, 06:56 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
By looking at the various Original Posts and the corresponding views, it appears that there are a lot of people who do not necessarily contribute to a discussion for one reason or another.

This in itself has significance and also some of these Posts and views end up on the internet as a searchable item. Good for bike forums.
Old 12-13-15, 10:19 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,569 Posts
I use the Road Bike Racing and Singlespeed and Fixed Gear sub-forums primarily. I'll participate in Road Cycling and Mountain Biking as well, to a lesser extent.
Old 12-13-15, 12:20 PM
kylakemike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read the boards every day. One can typically find me in the touring section as that is my passion. I have found the forums to be an excellent source of information.
Old 12-13-15, 12:30 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
usually just refresh whats new. Sometimes look around at something I'm interested in be it ebikes, touring or mtn biking. I get sucked into controversial A and S threads but try to leave them to fear alone.
Old 12-13-15, 06:06 PM
GravelMN

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My surfing on BF is pretty random. I usually check any replies or post quotes first, but then it's whatever strikes me at the moment. My most frequented sub-forums are Road, Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking, Clydesdales and Athenas, 50+,Training and Nutrition, and Mechanics. I hit General and Recreational and Family from time to time. I'll check into several of the other forums like MTB and Winter once in a while. If I'm really desperate for entertainment, I'll stop in at A&S.
Old 12-13-15, 07:15 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
General, A&S, Mechanics, Commuting, 50+, Hybrid, Utility. Occasionally I'll peek at the recreational cyclocross, mountain biking, rando and touring forums.

I'm mostly looking for useful information, occasional conversations and anecdotes, but not pointless debates which never persuade anyone. Which seems incongruous with A&S, but occasionally I see useful tips.
Old 12-13-15, 07:37 PM
Hermes1

Bikes: Montague Para Trooper High line

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I start by selecting "New Posts" and look through all, stopping at those of interest to me. I also look at the over 50's, commuting, maintenance & general discussion forums.
Old 12-13-15, 07:39 PM
ltxi

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skye
I generally see if I can get into any trouble on A&S; barring that, I come here and try to find trolls to make fun of. If all else fails, I poke a stick in the Helmet Thread sticky and stir up the residents there.
you misspelled recidivists
Old 12-13-15, 07:48 PM
dunelt_1954

Bikes: 3 Speeds, DIY Recumbent Trike, Sun Tomahawk

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle mechanics, and Classic & Vintage are my two favorites. I do check for new posts in the top menu, and occasionally lurk in foo. Somehow wound up posting in the general cycling discussion, thanks to your inquiry! Have been a member for years, but don't think I am near 50 posts yet. There are so many more erudite regulars that I fear I couldn't contribute beyond comic relief.
Old 12-13-15, 07:54 PM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
I too have been led to these forums by various google searches while being housebound and disabled by spine surgery. I can now actually ride a bike now! I don't post a great deal but learn a lot!

Last edited by FBOATSB; 12-14-15 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-13-15, 08:57 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Squabble with people on P&R, A&S, LCF; check out Foo, see what's new in General, Bike Mechanics, Folding Bikes. Occasionally see what's up in SS/FG, Commuting, Trollheim. Opine when appropriate in Books and Videos.
Old 12-13-15, 11:02 PM
Indyspeeddmon

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like several people use this site in a somewhat similiar manner to myself and some use it much more extensivly. As I get more comfortable with the site and the people I may, or may not, post more if I feel I have something to add. I might even post things in the correct forum, if I don't...well there seems to ALWAYS be someone on every thread to point out mistakes. lol Seriously, thanks for the answers guys/girls it gave me a better idea of places to visit while here.
Old 12-14-15, 07:22 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 153 Posts
Forgot to mention before: I stay well-clear of the Asylum & Sanitarium subforum. Not sure if everyone in there is genuinely of unsound mind, or if a percentage of them are just trolling to stir up the inmates of that looneybin.

Old 12-15-15, 12:40 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yup, every day on A&S seems to be Opposite Day. But in an unfunny, non-ironic way.
Old 12-15-15, 10:20 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I go to 50+ and then Road. Then, if I'm feeling the burn of current events I will go to P&R and add to the lunacy. Everything else is on an "as needed" basis.
Old 12-15-15, 10:30 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Should have mentioned that the only reason I go to P&R is to educate other people and make friends.
Old 12-15-15, 10:57 AM
kuroba

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I usually start on General Discussion and then to Commuting (because that's what I mainly do with my bike), Recreational Gravel Grinding and sometimes Singlespeed & Fixies. My current crush are Gravel bikes, but before that I really wanted an SS (y'know, to be like the cool kids). And that's my story
Old 12-15-15, 12:34 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by skye
barring that, I come here and try to find trolls to make fun of.
You have to be careful about that these days. There are a few posters who get special protection from the mods even though they appear to many of us to be obvious trolls. I have gotten at least one point and one warning relatively recently. I won't even mention their names due to fear of sanction.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.