Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bells (the noisemakers, not the helmets)

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bells (the noisemakers, not the helmets)

Old 12-17-19, 12:23 AM
Umeme
Frontiers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Knog Oi bell or cheaper copy you can find on eBay if you want sleek design...

Best looking, and best sounding IMHO, Crane E-Ne bell, or Spurcycle bell.

Loudest, Crane Suzu, Crane Riten and Lion Urban.
Old 12-17-19, 02:36 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I have bought most of the clone/copy Oi-lookalikes on fleabay but they've only copied the silhouette, none work or sound the same as the proper original.
Old 12-17-19, 03:26 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Loud voice better than a bell any day, at least for me. My ears are ringing all the time. But, if you have to get that, inner Pee Wee Herman out, go for it. The ear bud thing negates anything though.
Tim
No its not. Yelling is the worst thing you can do since your voice will just startle people. Or they will freeze like a deer caught in the headlights trying to figure out what all the shouting is about. A bike bell, on the other hand, is instantly recognized as a bike approaching by most of the population. No analysis necessary.

Last edited by KraneXL; 12-17-19 at 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-17-19, 08:45 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I have Incredibells from Mirrycle on most of my bikes. I like the Brass Duet model best. These are relatively inexpensive, but have a nice tone. If you buy on Amazon, be careful. Many of the Incredibells are counterfeit (any ones other than the black, chrome, and brass) and are not of the same quality.

Those Lion bells look sweet.
Old 12-17-19, 09:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Lion. Word. Alpha and omega. Sustain into next week. Endorsed by Quasimodo. Suitable for ringing the Nine Tailors. Has a written part in Josef Strauss' Vélocipéde Polka.

I generally hate bells on bikes, but this is a great post!
Old 12-17-19, 09:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by KraneXL
No its not. Yelling is the worst thing you can do since your voice will just startle people. Or they will freeze like a deer caught in the headlights trying to figure out what all the shouting is about. A bike bell, on the other hand, is instantly recognized as a bike approaching by most of the population. No analysis necessary.

You post a variation of this every time the subject comes up, and it's completely the opposite from my experience and really contrary to logic. I've seen person after person have to explain to the pedestrian what to do after they ring their bell, and the vast majority of people I encounter do the right thing when I announce "passing on your left". There's an advantage to the human voice, you can actually use words. Ringing a bell tells the pedestrian you're there, but doesn't tell them what to do about it.
Old 12-17-19, 01:11 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Who said anything about yelling? A polite, on your left or right, seems to work quite well, although yelling does work quite well with actual deer. With a bell, if I do hear it, I’m wondering what kind of ice cream I want.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 12-17-19 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-17-19, 01:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tkamd73
Who said anything about yelling? A polite, on your left or right, seems to work quite well, although yelling does work quite well with actual deer.
Tim
I've had to yell at cyclists on the wrong side of the path engrossed in conversation or whatever, oblivious to the fact that they were about to have a head-on collision with me. Not too worried about tact in that situation. Works like a charm.

Yelling also works with wild turkeys, but best if it's a gobble-gobble scream.
Old 12-17-19, 02:17 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
Speaking of Bells

I would like to add an electronic version of a bicycle tingle bell as a second horn on the shop vehicle. Anyone ever seen a 12vdc unit?
I have a car horn on my e-bike. Any e-bike can use one with a step-down voltage module of the relevant voltage.

The problem with it is that pedestrians don't seem to think it's for them, more assume it's a motorist moaning at another one, as i ride cycleways/MUP only. So i also have a classic two-ring bell (not the modern single ping type), and usually get a better response from the right people - seemingly because they know instantly that it's a bicycle..
Old 12-17-19, 02:23 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
I have a car horn on my e-bike. Any e-bike can use one with a step-down voltage module of the relevant voltage.

The problem with it is that pedestrians don't seem to think it's for them, more assume it's a motorist moaning at another one, as i ride cycleways/MUP only. So i also have a classic two-ring bell (not the modern single ping type), and usually get a better response from the right people - seemingly because they know instantly that it's a bicycle..
I'm not looking for a car horn to mount on a bike, I'm looking for an electronic version (12v) Bicycle bell (tingle-tingle) to use on my portable shop vehicle when we do charity service work.

Old 12-17-19, 02:30 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 12-17-19, 02:39 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Are there bells that still work well when they get wet? I've got a Spurcycle, an Incredibell adjustabell, and some random generic cheapos. All of them make more of a thud than a clear resonating ring when it's raining.
Old 12-17-19, 02:46 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Seńor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
It depends on how 'racy' you want your bike to look. The 'Incredibell' (and other similar ones) are great if you want a sleek and unobtrusive bell to satisfy laws (bells are required by law if you ride ont he road in my jurisdiction). They are also generally loud enough to alert your approach to anyone no wearing earbuds.

Other bells mentioned here, like the Lion pictured, can be a beautiful accessory for a more casual looking and riding bike, or for a touring or vintage-styled bike. And the clear "Brringg-Chinnng" of most more elaborate bells is like an international signal for 'BICYCLE COMING!', compared to the 'PING!' of simpler bells that is heard but sometimes not immediately recognized as a bike.

Whatever bell you get, I expect you will find you use it much more often than your might think, especially on MUPs.
Old 12-18-19, 07:56 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
...bells are required by law if you ride on the road in my jurisdiction
Different jurisdictions and locales have different requirements for bicycles, but for international cycle tourists, there are just three requirements to ride your bike into another country: a brake, a bell and a headlamp & rear red reflector.

International Convention on Road Traffic

Vienna, Austria November 8, 1968

Chapter V

CONDITIONS FOR THE ADMISSION OF CYCLES AND MOPEDS TO INTERNATIONAL TRAFFIC

ARTICLE 44

Cycles without an engine in international traffic shall:
(a)Have an efficient brake
(b) Be equipped with a bell capable of being heard at a sufficient distance, and carry no other audible warning device;
(c) Be equipped with a red reflecting device at the rear and with devices such that the cycle can show a white or selective-yellow light to the front and a red light to the rear.
Old 12-18-19, 08:09 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I had a bell once and ended up hardly using it... then it fell apart. I usually just say "on your left" or make funny noises like Taz or something. People tend to notice something going "glurgity blechooha" coming up behind them. I am thinking if I can get this ratrod build together; a small klaxon horn.
Old 12-18-19, 08:47 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Long ago, I had bulb horns on my bikes, but you can't get a well-made one anymore. The good ones worked great.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-18-19, 09:01 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I love that. I bet it makes all people above a certain age look for a phone ringing.
Old 12-19-19, 07:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tcs
Different jurisdictions and locales have different requirements for bicycles, but for international cycle tourists, there are just three requirements to ride your bike into another country: a brake, a bell and a headlamp & rear red reflector.

International Convention on Road Traffic

Vienna, Austria November 8, 1968

Chapter V

CONDITIONS FOR THE ADMISSION OF CYCLES AND MOPEDS TO INTERNATIONAL TRAFFIC

ARTICLE 44

Cycles without an engine in international traffic shall:
(a)Have an efficient brake
(b) Be equipped with a bell capable of being heard at a sufficient distance, and carry no other audible warning device;
(c) Be equipped with a red reflecting device at the rear and with devices such that the cycle can show a white or selective-yellow light to the front and a red light to the rear.

Look, ma, no horns!
Old 12-19-19, 08:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by FiftySix
I love that. I bet it makes all people above a certain age look for a phone ringing.

Honestly, if I heard one of those behind me, I'd probably think it was a ring tone.
Old 12-19-19, 08:38 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 115 Posts
'

Old 12-19-19, 09:06 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
SpurCycle. Get the genuine article....the knockoffs invariably suck in either sound, or in durability, or both.

People with air horns make me want to put a steel pipe in their front wheel. And equally, no pedestrian likes being yelled at--whether legally correct or not.
Old 12-19-19, 09:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
SpurCycle. Get the genuine article....the knockoffs invariably suck in either sound, or in durability, or both.

People with air horns make me want to put a steel pipe in their front wheel. And equally, no pedestrian likes being yelled at--whether legally correct or not.

I don't "yell at", I speak loudly, and pedestrians often thank me for it. If it weren't possible to make one's self audibly loud without being unpleasant, there would be no theater.
Old 12-19-19, 11:36 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Get the cheap round Bell that all bike shops and even places like Kmart sell. It sounds like bring bring, pedestrians universally understand that Bell. They will move over without even looking backwards because they know there's a bicycle in back of them and it's not an obnoxious air horn or some other contraption that idiot bike riders have =13pxAnd you don't an artisanal, curated very expensive Bell.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 12-19-19, 11:47 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I'm a Spurcycle fan, but for your purposes a Rockbros copy would be a good choice.

I have both, & the copy has held up fine. Not quite as good a ring as the original, but still substantially better than Crane, etc. etc. etc..

Last edited by woodcraft; 12-19-19 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-19-19, 11:56 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't "yell at", I speak loudly, and pedestrians often thank me for it. If it weren't possible to make one's self audibly loud without being unpleasant, there would be no theater.
People expect to be yelled or exclaimed at/to in a theater show.

People on a quiet walk on a secluded MUT don't. Purely anecdotal, but I get far more waves and smiles with a bell-ding than I ever did shouting. And what is more...people don't leap to their left like they do if you say "on your left" or "passing left". In My Fair City, of 300,000 or so, in 10 years, I've had a grand total of one grumpy old fart shout "ON YOUR LEFT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE PAL!" after a bell ring.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.