Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

High visibility clothing

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

High visibility clothing

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-15, 04:31 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Burton
Anyone here wear reflective vests or high visibility clothing as an aid to night-time or day-time visibility?

How do you figure it stacks up compared to flashing lights?
I use both. During the day, if the weather is inclement, I have a blaze red hunting vest (no reflective stripes) that I wear. It's good for those really overcast days. For night riding, I have one of those yellow/green vests with reflective stripes. It looks a lot like a hi-vis vest the local police Dept. wear. When I go back to work in the spring, I'll have an orange hi-vis vest that I'll wear.

As for lights... If I need them during the day, I have my dynamo driven headlight and ny LED tail light on my fender and helmet. At night, I have two LED headlights that I use.

As for how one compares to the other, that will be situation dependent.
Old 01-02-16, 01:17 AM
Kaiory

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
Reflective ankle bands are perhaps more important than a vest - moving up and down, drawing attention when shone upon.
Couldn't agree more. Recently I was driving at night approx. 200-300 yards/metres behind a cyclist who was wearing reflecting gaiters. The very bright reflections moving up and down like pistons instantly told me that the "object" was a cyclist and not a road-works barrier nor a parked tractor-trailer nor a cow*. I pulled up behind him at the next traffic lights and was able to inspect the gaiters. They appeared to be made of a lightweight Lycra-like material, extended from just below the knees to under the shoes and - this was the curious bit that I couldn't understand - the whole gaiter reflected brightly. It wasn't just the usual thin strip of Scotchlite down the back and the reflection wasn't coming from the usual strips of reflecting tape. I wasn't aware that there is a fabric that reflects (i.e. reflects like Scotchlite, not just hi-vis yellow) and I couldn't get out of the car to ask the cyclist where he got the gaiters.

Has anyone here ever heard of such gaiters and/or knows where they can be bought ?

Of course, I can't exclude that he had simply taken a set of normal gaiters and sprayed them with some kind of reflecting paint.

* In the Highlands of Scotland cows sometimes lie on the roads at night because the tarmac retains the day's warmth. Those cows are a major hazard. Run into one at any speed and you, the cow and the car will be a writeoff. So a farmer hit on a bright idea. He got some reflecting or luminous paint and slapped it on his cows to make them visible. One night a motorist from the city checked in at a local hospital emergency room in a panic. He said that he was a recovering alcoholic and had just seen a luminous cow and assumed that this was the dreaded delirium tremens that his doctor had told him about.
Old 01-02-16, 02:05 AM
Ball Bearing

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Viz? Apparently the latest trend is camouflage cycling gear! Might just as well lie down in the middle of a freeway in the middle of the night!!!

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...soDoMQ_AUIBygB
Old 01-14-16, 06:49 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
I like the luminous cow story.

I don't know where to get luminous gaitors but there were some luminous shoe covers earlier in the thread, and these cheap reflective trouser clips (garters?) are better than the ones available from 100 yen shops since they are a little stronger and longer. I keep them on my (super long) stem and wear them on my hands and ankles at night. At 39 cents a clip, they are highly recommended.

Protable Road Mountain Bike Bicycle MTB Reflective Leg Pants Clip Strap Beam Band Bottom Belt Lightweight High quality-in Other Sports & Entertainment Products from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

There are also these moer traditonal C shaped trouser clips with reflective coating but they would not wrap around my stem for storage.
Reflective Cycling Trouser Clips: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
Here in Japan I can leave things attached to my bike without their being stolen.
Old 01-15-16, 07:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I have several reflective ankle straps/bands. I wish they were longer and could reach around a thicker ankle particularly when I'm wearing overshoes & rain pants
Old 01-15-16, 08:04 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
I don't know where to get luminous gaitors but there were some luminous shoe covers earlier in the thread, and these cheap reflective trouser clips (garters?) are better than the ones available from 100 yen shops since they are a little stronger and longer. I keep them on my (super long) stem and wear them on my hands and ankles at night. At 39 cents a clip, they are highly recommended.
https://www.adventurecycling.org/cyc...-bike-gaiters/

Attached Images
Old 01-08-17, 04:51 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

was in the woods for yesterday's storm so I didn't need either hi-vis or lights but I used both. the cycling jacket is perfect for any conditions. used my lites just for fun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Untitled 4.jpg (75.5 KB, 149 views)
Old 01-09-17, 07:57 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Thank you very much. I only now notice the response. $30 is very reasonable but I have become poor so I think I will stick to using two of these on each leg at $2.4 for the four (plus two more one for each arm).
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-...608.0.0.5boAKg
Old 01-09-17, 08:13 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I like the luminous cow story. .
Sounds like Blarney... whatever the Scottish call it...
Old 01-10-17, 07:51 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you very much. I only now notice the response. $30 is very reasonable but I have become poor so I think I will stick to using two of these on each leg at $2.4 for the four (plus two more one for each arm).
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-...608.0.0.5boAKg
Yes, much less expensive.

I might consider these gaiters if I get a fat bike, they'd do double duty, keep the snow out and increase visibility for winter commutes.
Old 01-10-17, 08:18 AM
rumrunn6

ankle bands are great for keeping the bottom of rain pants snug even if you don't need hi-vis like on an off-road trail. I forgot mine the other day & had to keep tugging at the outside of my right ankle to keep the extra material from flapping around the chainring
Old 01-15-17, 12:47 PM
Onyxaxe

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm usually stealthed out with minor reflectors on my bags and jacket. With this setup I rely on my lights more. Two rear taillights, one minor that flashes, one steady at 130 lumens. I use my 300 lumen headlight on flashing in the daytime. 300 lumens is bright enough for a be seen headlight. I caught it flashing in a yellow road sign a good distance away the other day.

With it being winter now though I bought some hot pink jerseys. Not technically hi-viz but bright enough. Be warned I saw a guy biking the other night in a full on hi-viz jacket with reflectors and couldn't see him well. I just saw him because I'm always looking for fellow cyclists. It could be because it was in the depth of downtown. Kentucky has this weird darkness that lights don't affect in town.

Getting ready to get a HI-Viz helmet.
Old 01-15-17, 07:00 PM
rumrunn6

headlight died after dark last night. had rear strobes but was wearing black cuz I didn't expect to be out after dark. would have been nice to have a reflective vest to whip on. I had been carrying in my rear trunk, a fleece vest & wind pants & never used either. should have carried my backup headlight & a reflective vest!
Old 01-22-17, 06:44 PM
timtak

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
headlight died after dark last night. had rear strobes but was wearing black cuz I didn't expect to be out after dark. would have been nice to have a reflective vest to whip on. I had been carrying in my rear trunk, a fleece vest & wind pants & never used either. should have carried my backup headlight & a reflective vest!
I usually have some of those 60 cent reflective bands on my stem (which is very long). With four of them, one for each limb, on ones seat post and stem, one could have quite a lot of visibility for emergencies and meanwhile increase the visibility of bike. But then, I live in a no theft country.
Old 02-03-20, 01:49 AM
Alan ingram

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, i wear many times in day time