Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What Cycling Events or Trips Do You Have Planned for 2020?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What Cycling Events or Trips Do You Have Planned for 2020?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-20, 03:35 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"What do you find hardest about cycle touring now we aint spring chickens any more?"

...While I would still enjoy riding about 50 miles a day for an extended trip, the thought of the uncertainty of finding a place to stay for the night was unsettling. (Our previous tours were all self-supported and self-guided.)

If I/we were to resume touring, it would at least be a credit card style, if not an organized tour. On that [cross-country cycling] honeymoon though, finding a place to stay was a memorable part of the adventure:

I guess 30 years of a stable, predictable cycle-commuting lifestyle erodes that exhilaration of the uncertainty.
Ever since I heard about the Great Ohio Bike Adventure (GOBA) I have investigated riding it with my wife. It is a week long, seemingly fairly easy loop in Ohio; a one-day drive from Boston, and near Michigan where we could visit family.

Up to a couple years ago, GOBA offered an optional Hotel package rather than standard camping, but even now at least advises participants where to make their own arrangements in the various towns they visit.

A couple weeks ago my wife, who now rides only casually mostly on MUPS, and I discussed participating this June, our first cycle tour together since about 1986. However, the dates are not available to me from work.

So if anyone knows of any East Coast / mid Atlantiic / near Midwest (about as far west as Illinois) / Canadian week-long loop tours, within about 1000 miles of Boston, with the possibility of Hotel accomodations, let me know.

I prefer a loop rather than end-to-end to eliminate the transport back to the starting point.
Originally Posted by jppe
Bike Virginia???
Thanks for that tip @jppe, but it also occurs in June, and the whole month is socked in by other’s vacation requests.

That ride seems even more convenient than GOBA, besides closer to Boston, their arrangement is actually two 3-day hub and spoke rides, each day with about four choices of varying lengths and difficulty. So there is only one moving day, and they specifically contrast that with
GOBA, and other organized rides, with daily set up and break down shuffles.

Also they offer a choice of accommodations from standard camping; to suggested B&Bs, Inns, and Hotels with special rates.

Actually, before your reply, I had intended to add a hub and spoke request besides a loop. Other summer months have a few vacation openings, and May and September are pretty wide open.

I have even suggested to several requests for touring locations,
Personally. I'm very happy cycling in Metro Boston, and have posted an informal Cycling Guide to Metro Boston (link) that would make a nice hub and spoke tour of nine days [as a length of one request]…

It may seem parochial, but I think the cycling around here is great. One can be in scenic countryside within about one hour from downtown, while passing through an interesting, compact urban and suburban scene. Furthermore you can extend your range with a convenient Commuter Rail that allows fully-assembled bikes during off-peak hours. In Spring through Fall it’s a temperate climate

Besides the cycling, Boston is such a popular tourist destination that there will always be something interesting to do off the bike…culture, nightlife, sports and so forth…
Of course an organized ride with pre-arranged routes and accommodations, and groups pf similarly-minded cyclists makes vacations more interesting, efficient and relaxing.
I enjoy weeklong supported rides so I usually plan around those. I also enjoy riding in new areas..
So the search goes on.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-03-20 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-06-20, 01:51 PM
bikeldy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last fall I did a 7 day loop tide in Northern VT, you can see details on crazyguyonabike website. Search journals for " A 7 Day Ramble in Northern VT".
Likes For bikeldy:
Old 02-07-20, 02:01 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
God willing, I will again do the Ride Of Silence. That’s a priority for me. Some of us ride the oldest bike we have which might be mine this year.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 02-11-20, 11:54 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Nothing as extensive or as exotic as some of you, but I'm thinking about a couple of days on the loop around the Niagara Peninsula (North along the Niagara River, south along the Welland Canal). I'm also thinking about just a day ride on the Cuyahoga Valley National Park trail.
Old 02-17-20, 06:48 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
I hope to compete in a few Time Trials, a Hill Climb up the highest Point in NJ, a few gravel races and in fall the Escape NY road ride out of NYC
Old 02-18-20, 08:12 AM
gevad 

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Cannondale Topstone, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeldy
Last fall I did a 7 day loop tide in Northern VT, you can see details on crazyguyonabike website. Search journals for " A 7 Day Ramble in Northern VT".
Thanks for posting this. I read the whole journal and that sounds like a really nice ride through a really nice part of the world.
Old 02-19-20, 07:49 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I'm getting back in shape this year, but so far my plans include:
1. Day ride from DC to Mt. Vernon on the Mt. Vernon Trail. It's only 19 miles each way, but it's special since I'm traveling there on business from Florida. I'll ride my Bike Friday so I can fold it up and bring it on the plane with no problem.
2. American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure in Lake Nona at the end of March. I usually do the metric century, but I'm not sure which length I'll do this year. I'm helping with the event too, so I may be busy with that stuff.
3. Either the Crater Lake Century in Oregon in August or the Bourbon Country Burn in Kentucky in October. They are two different kinds of events, but I want to do one of them depending on my schedule.
4. Horrible Hundred in Clermont, FL in November.

I may try for another century in the earlier fall season. We'll see.
Update:
1. Still doing the DC to Mt. Vernon ride next month.
2. ADA Tour de Cure in Lake Nona at the end of March.
3. I decided on the Crater Lake Century. My flight, hotels and car rental are all booked. The time has been reserved at work for time off.
4. I just registered yesterday for the inaugural GFNY Sebring, Florida for October 25.
5. I still plan to do the Horrible Hundred in November. I missed it last year and really missed doing it.
Old 02-19-20, 09:24 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
Update:
1. Still doing the DC to Mt. Vernon ride next month.
2. ADA Tour de Cure in Lake Nona at the end of March.
3. I decided on the Crater Lake Century. My flight, hotels and car rental are all booked. The time has been reserved at work for time off.
4. I just registered yesterday for the inaugural GFNY Sebring, Florida for October 25.
5. I still plan to do the Horrible Hundred in November. I missed it last year and really missed doing it.

When is the Crater Lake Century? I rode around Crater Lake twice last September. Perfect weather both days.
Old 02-20-20, 02:59 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
When is the Crater Lake Century? I rode around Crater Lake twice last September. Perfect weather both days.
Unofficially, it will be Saturday August 15. It becomes official and registration opens March 1.
Old 02-20-20, 08:43 AM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
I have been riding my Echelon everyday for at least 45 minutes to get in shape for the first outdoor ride of the 2020 season. This will occur in March in Solvang, California. I'm sick and tired of cold (minus 7 this morning) and snow and ready to ride!

https://www.bikescor.com/
Old 02-21-20, 01:59 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
Aug 1-2: Pan Mass Challenge. 161 mile 2-day ride across Massachusetts to the very tip of the Cape
Aug 30 - Sep 6: Bike and Boat Tour - Passau, Germany/Vienna, Austria/Bratislava, Slovakia/Budapest, Hungary
It's always nice to bump into a Bay Stater on a bike site.
Old 02-22-20, 06:31 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Really hoping to do Seattle to Portland for the first time.
Old 03-01-20, 09:45 PM
cbuddy2005

Bikes: old GT avalanche, Ribble Ti Endurance disc

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I'm 55 and planning to start training for the 2020 hotter n hell 100 in late August. I failed to complete it in 2012, the wind kicked us all and and showed I wasn't in good enough condition. That year I began trading in May and was 10 pounds heavier that May than I am right now. I dropped about 20 pounds during that training stretch. I'll be training longer, getting a new bike fairly soon and will be way lighter--I hope. I gotta finish the only ride/race in my almost 50 years of cycling, that I failed to finish.
Old 03-03-20, 08:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18414 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
Now wondering what effect, if any, this damn virus many have on my June tour out west. Sunk a lot of money into my flight.
Old 03-03-20, 09:07 AM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Now wondering what effect, if any, this damn virus many have on my June tour out west. Sunk a lot of money into my flight.
I'm wondering the same thing. I fly in and out of LAX next week to attend the event in Solvang, CA.
Old 03-03-20, 10:14 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
I've got a few rides lined up:

1. Marinica is a 70 mile ride that I lead each year just north of San Francisco. It's an unofficial precursor to Eroica California, held the week before (March 28).
2. Two days after Marinica a group of us are going to do a four day credit card tour from SF down to Cambria, where Eroica CA is held. We're calling this Touroica, or Tour d'Eroica, or various other silly names
3. I will of course be riding Eroica California. Almost certainly the 85 mile version, part pavement, part gravel, all vintage.
4. I just signed up to ride the Davis Double Century (aka the Heart of California Double Century). I DNFed last year due to major mechanical problems. My riding buddies also DNFed later on due to severe weather conditions. Hoping for better circumstances this year.
5. Cino! A vintage ride in Montana in mid-September. It's two days of gravel riding, something over 100 miles.
6. Post-Cino, hoping to ride the Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier National Park.

That should do it!
Old 03-03-20, 01:35 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by davester
5. Cino! A vintage ride in Montana in mid-September. It's two days of gravel riding, something over 100 miles.
6. Post-Cino, hoping to ride the Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier National Park.
Cino looks neat! I have done a fair amount of riding in the state, including some dirt. Passed by Kalispell last year and camped at Bigfork again but have always ridden on the east side of the lake.

I have gone up and back down the west side of GTS three times and up and over to St. Mary once. Make sure you check the road status on the park's official website. Sometimes they close the road at times in September if they are doing road work. Assuming it's open, September could be a great time. Fewer visitors. Fewer bugs. Still decent temps. Last time I was there (2017) the road opened all the way to cars while I was closing in on the loop. I had been taking my time since the campground host had told me there was no way it would open to cars that day. He was wrong. Disappointing, but still a good time. Make sure you check out the room at Lake McDonald Lodge with the fireplace. Crazy trophy heads on the walls. And the bar there is a great place to grab a drink to take down by the lake. The dining room at the lodge is also pretty darn good. Had a salad, mussels and steelhead in 2017. Line up before it opens for dinner to get a window seat.
Old 03-03-20, 02:00 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Cino looks neat! I have done a fair amount of riding in the state, including some dirt. Passed by Kalispell last year and camped at Bigfork again but have always ridden on the east side of the lake.

I have gone up and back down the west side of GTS three times and up and over to St. Mary once. Make sure you check the road status on the park's official website. Sometimes they close the road at times in September if they are doing road work. Assuming it's open, September could be a great time. Fewer visitors. Fewer bugs. Still decent temps. Last time I was there (2017) the road opened all the way to cars while I was closing in on the loop. I had been taking my time since the campground host had told me there was no way it would open to cars that day. He was wrong. Disappointing, but still a good time. Make sure you check out the room at Lake McDonald Lodge with the fireplace. Crazy trophy heads on the walls. And the bar there is a great place to grab a drink to take down by the lake. The dining room at the lodge is also pretty darn good. Had a salad, mussels and steelhead in 2017. Line up before it opens for dinner to get a window seat.
Hey, thanks for all that advice!
Old 03-03-20, 06:16 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Well, my first planned trip has been cancelled. I was supposed to go to Seattle with my wife next week while she is at a conference and the conference was cancelled. We still have an Airbnb in Vancouver though so I've suggested we do that by itself.
Old 03-04-20, 12:40 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
"If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans."
So far I've missed the first two long gravel rides I was planning this year due to lingering illness.
I think I'll wait to tell you about my big plans until after I complete them!
Brent
Old 03-05-20, 10:24 AM
zebra6331

Bikes: 2020 Verve 3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mackinac Island Michigan

Looking forward to 4 nights on the island in June. We'll be doing a lot of drinking and driving! (No cars allowed on the island )
Old 03-16-20, 05:38 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Maybe this thread should be renamed "What Cycling Events had you planned in 2020 that have been cancelled?"

Just got word this afternoon that my Clean Air Ride on Saturday has been postponed until mid-Sept. Ugh -- an event in north central Florida in September. I don't think the Devil himself does much riding in Florida in September...
Likes For davethelefty:
Old 03-17-20, 06:34 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Welp, I had planned to do the Seattle to Portland for the first time. They are making an annoucement on March 20, but it's a done deal. I already have my train ticket (from PDX to SEA) the day before. Unless either city is on lockdown, I am seriously considering doing the ride all by myself ayway. Why waste all that training for nothing?

Of course, safety first. And if all the gurus and public health folks say stay home. I will of course do that. But we shall see. Still hoping.
Old 03-17-20, 07:52 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
This was going to be my year to finally have the training and attitude to branch out and do some challenging century events. Well all that is plainly not going to happen. So I will plan local mountain solo rides to fill the gap. With any luck for us all, the National Guard will Not be chasing us down in HumVees.
Old 03-18-20, 07:44 AM
indyfabz

My long Easter weekend tour is dead. The campground at the NJ state forest where I was supposed to stay at the first night is closed until the end of April, as are all NJ state campgrounds. The ferry I need to take on day 2 stopped accepting foot traffic starting today. Going to lose some $$ on the Delaware state park campground reservations unless it shuts down. I need to check the cancellation policy to see if there is any harm in waiting for a while to see if that happens. Because I am less than 30 days out I may be able to wait until a week out without losing any additional $$.

PA state park campgrounds are closed until at least the end of March. If they open up in time there I one I can ride to for a couple of day. I also know a private place up on the Delaware River I can go to, assuming they are taking non-seasonal people.

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-18-20 at 07:47 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.