Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bikes you painted yourself

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bikes you painted yourself

Old 02-18-20, 01:55 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I have only done two complete repaints, both were rattle can jobs. I did prep the frames well. One was completely stripped, primed and painted; the other was wet sanded down to the good base primer and painted. I let the frames cure a few weeks and sold them. After those two I decided to only buy bikes with good paint or acceptable patina.

For the bikes that I keep I only do touch-up painting, though I did do an entire chainguard for a Raleigh Sports that turned out very well.
Likes For dweenk:
Old 02-18-20, 02:11 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,127 Posts
This one was my first. It was painted with those artist's spray cans that you can buy in a baffling array of colors at the art supply store. Not a very durably finish but my daughter is still riding it many years later.

Most of the rest of these were painted with 2-part Nason brand automotive paint.

To be continued.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 02-18-20, 02:28 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,127 Posts
I bought this one cheap and wanted to sell it cheap so I painted it with a better quality spray can paint. Automotive paint gets expensive fast.

More automotive paint, but I was able to blend some colors on hand to get the slightly creamy white and the caramel orange, so no additional cost for paint.

A couple of nice French bikes that came to me with bad rattlecan paint jobs. I repainted them with automotive paint.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 02-18-20, 04:58 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Motobecane(2), Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
How do you tell that?

I think someone played with that frame - it has both an under-chainstay stop for a gear cable and a top-of-the stay stop and loop on the seatstay just above the dropout.

I am going by the seat stay cap for the most part. Others used similar caps but it is a Lejeune and it is a known fact that BC's shop produced a lot of Lejeune frames.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Last edited by CV-6; 02-18-20 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-18-20, 09:55 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
sorta OK.. from a d i s t a n c e

Used a clunker build for a brush paint test. It's my first and last effort. I just don't have the patience to do it right.

Old 02-19-20, 12:08 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
Thanks Drillium Dude; boy you've got a good memory. I had painted a few bikes before I painted this one but I really wanted a frame with the drilled and tapped Campy RH rear dropout and was having trouble finding a frame with this feature. The frame I found was in really bad cosmetic condition and needed a paint job. Another real bonus was that it was a very early Columbus SLX frameset with the plastic Columbus inserts in the top of the front fork crown. One of the inserts was badly damaged so something had to be done, thus the 'Fountain' inserts. I tried for three years to find the original builder without any success, so I put my name on it.

I also wanted a pretty much complete 1978 bike with a 1978 Nuovo Record, 'Portacatena' groupset (except the 1st gen. SR seatpost) on a 1978 frame. I used a Columbus SL frame decal to make it look period correct even though it's really 1981 Columbus SLX. The frame, along with the Campy gruppo reflects 1978. Haha, haha, no one will ever know.

I based the paint scheme on an English Bob Jackson frame I admired. The paint job is pretty good but the lug lining paint I used did react with the other frame paint. At least I painted the lug lining evenly and it looks okay. I should fix it one day.

FOOTNOTE: Oh yeah DD, my favourite re-finished frame/bike is your raw tubed Colnago. This bike of yours really captured my imagination and I was blown away by your planning and execution. What a great bike and a real tribute to frame building.
Thanks for posting the additional pic, Gary - that's the shot I remember

I guess I'd forgotten that you also crafted and brazed that beautiful head badge, too. Thank you for posting it; what a classy final touch. That whole bike just comes together completely like nobody's business.

I suppose my paint-free Colnago works with its sand-blasted components in much the same way. Understated, but still draws the eye. That's how I like a bike to be!

Btw, I like the "reaction" look to the pinstriping around the lugs. Sometimes when we restore a bike the new paint ends up looking a little too new, you know? That little crinkle to the paint gives it patina that really works against the paint looking too new.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 02-19-20 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-19-20, 12:24 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Wow! Nice to see what this frame looks like with a great paint job

I'm leaving mine in bare metal for now, but this has me thinking about colors...

I can't believe there are two of the exact same Casati frame in this thread. It's not like they were made in huge numbers back in the early 80s. Mine looks a little different now with all the added/changed braze-ons and the newer decal set, but it used to look just like yours with internal cabling and the same graphics package, too.

DD
Old 02-19-20, 12:45 AM
dudeliving

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Would be glad to know if anyone of you used glow in the dark paint and did it really "glowed" or should I just stick to neon?
Old 02-19-20, 02:18 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Thanks for posting the additional pic, Gary - that's the shot I remember

I guess I'd forgotten that you also crafted and brazed that beautiful head badge, too. Thank you for posting it; what a classy final touch. That whole bike just comes together completely like nobody's business.

I suppose my paint-free Colnago works with its sand-blasted components in much the same way. Understated, but still draws the eye. That's how I like a bike to be!

Btw, I like the "reaction" look to the pinstriping around the lugs. Sometimes when we restore a bike the new paint ends up looking a little too new, you know? That little crinkle to the paint gives it patina that really works against the paint looking too new.

DD
Thanks again DD. Over the years I have done things to bikes I never really thought I could do - like painting. I'm a bit lucky that I do have a reasonable mechanical appreciation. But, what I see other forum members doing, I'm blown away regularly. I know there are forum members doing (or have done) remarkable things with simple tools, such as your average, everyday Dremel to computer aided creations and everything in between that leave me gobsmacked.

I really appreciate being part of this community with it's collective knowledge and enthusiasm, support and generosity. Thanks DD for being a leading light in all these respects.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 02-19-20 at 02:24 AM.
Likes For Gary Fountain:
Old 02-19-20, 05:33 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
WOW! There are some really nice looking bicycles in this thread.

Back around 2001 I painted a MIELE Tange Infinity frameset in Italian colours. I did it because I wanted an Italian component bicycle and figured the Italian paint scheme would be unique. At the time I put on a mix of 9-speed Campagnolo Mirage and Veloce components. Just Mirage Ergo levers and front derailleur to keep the cost down a fair bit.

Soon I'll be putting a vintage Campagnolo Triomphe groupset on this frameset.

I even have a pretty full set of MIELE bicycling apparel to wear whilst riding this bike.

I just need a MIELE bicycling cap and gloves. LOL

Cheers
Old 02-20-20, 11:05 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Brushed on...

Rattle can and home made art...

Rattle can and art to follow when I get back from the islands...
Old 02-20-20, 11:34 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I used to brush paint my commuters with 2-part epoxy. Done carefully, it was surprising how good the end result was. 2-part epoxy goes to a state after the cure starts where if "flows". Brush marks disappear. (Just don't even think about touching the paint at that time! You will make a real mess of things.)

My paint jobs were pure utilitarian. Fire engine red on my beat up UO-8 because that was the color of my boat and I had left over paint. (In reasonably well-sealed cans, the 2 parts last a long time and work just fine 5, 10 years later.) That UO-8 was my bike for New England and Michigan salted roads. The perfect paint. Get a deep scratch down to bare metal. (Tough paint, those scratches were caused by something real!) Sand the showing metal. Wipe clean with epoxy/lacquer thinner. Mix up a little paint, dab it on with an artist's brush. Good as new.

Next bike was a Japanese built Schwinn sport bike. Been crashed hard. Freebie from the local shop after the UO-8 was doored, It took paint damaging work to straighten the frame. Black epoxy this time. Looked sharp!. Saw 2 Ann Arbor winters so lots of salt. Sadly, got stolen. Equally sad but also not: the beautiful leather Fuji seat, a nice Brooks copy was on the bike. Not sad because I hatred riding that thing. I ride like I did as a racer, a lot of the tme on the nose, but also pushed way back. Both positions sucked on the "You sit here or else" leather seat.

Haven't painted a bike since. If I can find good safety yellow 2-part epoxy I might try fenders. (My best bike is fire engine red and I envisioned the yellow fenders Planet Bike made years ago when I choose the color. But PB had discontinued them and I've never seen a yellow road bike width fender by anyone since.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-20-20, 11:53 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26245 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Wow! Nice to see what this frame looks like with a great paint job

I'm leaving mine in bare metal for now, but this has me thinking about colors...

I can't believe there are two of the exact same Casati frame in this thread. It's not like they were made in huge numbers back in the early 80s. Mine looks a little different now with all the added/changed braze-ons and the newer decal set, but it used to look just like yours with internal cabling and the same graphics package, too.

DD
...when I bought it year before last, it was powder coated white, except where the powder coat had been burned off when the bottle cage braze on's were added.
Old 02-20-20, 01:43 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
cocoabeachcrab , shouldn't that read "NCC1701"?
Old 02-20-20, 04:00 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 225 Posts
here are some of my repaints. all done with Rustoleum spray enamel. The raleigh sport had good paint that I cleaned, rubbed out with white polishing compound and clear coated with rustoleum automotive clear enamel/

Old 02-20-20, 04:39 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 1,743 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
( ...) Rattle can and art to follow when I get back from the islands...
Oh yes. I'm looking forward to that one.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 02-22-20, 02:03 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 355 Posts
Like a lot of other folks here, mine look much nicer in pix than in person. Here's a couple of all-time great 20-footers. No, make that 25

Fake Leganano (1980ish Apollo Prestige):

1972 Lambert Frankebike with Alfine-8 drivetrain:
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 02-22-20, 03:01 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman

Fake Leganano (1980ish Apollo Prestige):

Congratulations on a couple of lovely paint jobs. I think a closer than 20ft inspection would prove a great finish.

Over my bike obsession years the Legnano colour scheme you have used has always been my all time favourite. Cinelli also has a very similar colour to your fake Legnano (I'm sure you know this) going back to the 1950's too. I wouldn't say "No," to either.
Old 02-22-20, 03:03 AM
Gary Fountain

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Brushed on...

Rattle can and art to follow when I get back from the islands...
All frames are absolutely stunning. Love them all.
Old 02-22-20, 08:36 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
I've learned that what I lack in skill and equipment can be made up for with hours of compounding, polishing and touching up with an artist brush. In the end, it does look like a professional job. I just used a Rustoleum rattle can and lots of elbow grease on this one.

Old 02-22-20, 02:16 PM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
My Gitane
Nice ! I made MANY attempts at putting a leather on the bars of my Jackson but was never happy with it. Great Job !
Old 02-22-20, 10:25 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 282 Posts

Carlton paint and decals. Even painted the pump!
Likes For 1simplexnut:
Old 02-24-20, 01:25 PM
Mr Carl

Bikes: Too many personal bikes to mention on here

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
A friend wanted a black cruiser bike showing her love for the Oakland Raiders.
Likes For Mr Carl:
Old 02-24-20, 10:04 PM
wschellen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 32 Posts

Likes For wschellen:
Old 02-24-20, 10:49 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
This subject thread for the most part I assume are pictures of hobby and/or amateur painters making old frames/bikes look good again. I've been a professional builder and painter for over 40 years. I've painted hundreds and hundreds of frames. I hang out here so I suppose I kinda qualify. I was fortunate that when I went to learn in England at Ellis Briggs they had a paint shop on the 2nd floor along with their frame shop where I was able to learn the principles of painting details. The pictures I'm posting here are mostly of students that have taken my frame building class and hung around to help me paint them too. I've also taught painting classes to mostly professional builders. I've posted some of these pictures before on various forums.

This gal also designed and cut out her lugs out of blanks. She is a botanist and trillium flowers inspired her design.

This guy is from Michigan and he also designed and cut out his lugs. You an see the MI influence in the name and seat tube badge. He also cut the badge out of stainless steel.

This is the bike I made for my daughter using 650C wheels

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.