Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Test/Bike Review (1982) Small Frame (18") Bikes

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-22-20, 01:55 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts

Three articles are presented here. The first is a road test of seven small frame bikes (PANASONIC Sport, UNIVEGA Nuovo Sport, SEKAI 2700, RODRIGUEZ, MARIPOSA, PROTEUS, MEDICI Pro Strada).
The second article , "Getting Started with a Small Frame", is a brief review of test riders' opinions.
In the third article, framebuilder Bill Boston is portrayed as a "Crusader for Short Cyclists".

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 02-22-20, 02:18 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,580 Times in 1,762 Posts
Thanks again! I really appreciate these posts.

Mrs non-fixie never managed to grow above 5'4" so the subject of small frames with short top tubes is of particular interest.

The Panasonic bent top tube seems to be "inspired by" the Francis Quillon design he made (and patented) in 1978 for Méral:

Old 02-22-20, 04:55 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Interesting how the solution for toe overlap has long been known (smaller front wheels), but so many bike makers refuse to learn.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-23-20, 02:02 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Interesting how the solution for toe overlap has long been known (smaller front wheels), but so many bike makers refuse to learn.
Oh they know, they just don't care. It's much more profitable to stick with the broad middle section of riders than the few outliers, i.e. the tall and the short. Even Liv, which is supposed to be all about women, puts 700c wheels on all their bikes.

I'm 5'4" myself, and very happy to ride my converted classic mountain bike (the RockHopper). Shorter stem and swept bars = decent reach, and 26" wheels feel perfectly proportional. I do wish someone would make brakes for smaller hands, but I cope. And cranks. Great Ghu why does no one make 160 cranks for under $200? Okay, SunTour makes short mtb cranks, but they're 9-speed, only available in black, and they may not be an easy swap for the original SunTour X1 7-speed. And what about road bike cranks? I have a Trek MultiTrack I want to build up as a rando/tourer, but my short legs (and knees, and hips) don't appreciate 175 cranks. /whine, sorry.
Likes For Korina:
Old 02-23-20, 04:07 PM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
It's easy to blame profits, but if it costs more, it's reasonable to expect the costs to be passed down to the consumer, a cost a consumer may not want to bear. These are things that bike companies have to bring in from outside too. It's not that they're making rims and tires too big, they're designing framesets around industry standards and bringing in industry standard parts. Anything less standard either means either they have to use different specs for different sizes at which point the XXXS is basically a different bike with different cost, or they have to offset increased costs of small sizes unnecessarily on the middle of the bell curve bikes because small riders aren't paying the additional marginal costs of designing an entire bike line up around small sizes.

Also with smaller wheels, the consumer ends up holding the short end of the stick in terms of replacement parts. It's relatively easy to find 559 slick tires of medium width. It's harder to find high quality skinny road 559 tires and tubes in stock. It's even harder if you have some weird size like 24" or 650B skinny road tires. If a 650c bike is really that desired, there's always the companies actually making 650c junior bikes and selling it as a different product because it is a different product.

In regards to cranks. there are a few different 152-155mm square taper crank arms for under $50 like the Origin8 ones.
Old 02-24-20, 11:22 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by Kuromori
It's easy to blame profits, but if it costs more, it's reasonable to expect the costs to be passed down to the consumer, a cost a consumer may not want to bear. These are things that bike companies have to bring in from outside too. It's not that they're making rims and tires too big, they're designing framesets around industry standards and bringing in industry standard parts. Anything less standard either means either they have to use different specs for different sizes at which point the XXXS is basically a different bike with different cost, or they have to offset increased costs of small sizes unnecessarily on the middle of the bell curve bikes because small riders aren't paying the additional marginal costs of designing an entire bike line up around small sizes.

Also with smaller wheels, the consumer ends up holding the short end of the stick in terms of replacement parts. It's relatively easy to find 559 slick tires of medium width. It's harder to find high quality skinny road 559 tires and tubes in stock. It's even harder if you have some weird size like 24" or 650B skinny road tires. If a 650c bike is really that desired, there's always the companies actually making 650c junior bikes and selling it as a different product because it is a different product.
I don't buy that for a second. Smaller wheels of some kind have always been available (longer than 27"), and when the will is there, good products are made. The proof is that plenty of high-quality small-wheeled bikes have been made throughout history. There is no need to make excuses for the bike companies.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-24-20, 11:42 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 3,098 Times in 1,953 Posts
I remember that article. Especially remembering the Proteus bike.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 02-24-20, 12:18 PM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I don't buy that for a second. Smaller wheels of some kind have always been available (longer than 27"), and when the will is there, good products are made. The proof is that plenty of high-quality small-wheeled bikes have been made throughout history. There is no need to make excuses for the bike companies.
You can't blame profits then claim there's no additional costs. If there's no additional costs, how can it be eating into profits? Likewise, if there's additional costs that the consumer is unwilling to bear, why would they even enter that market? If the demand isn't there and people don't pay for products to justify the cost of manufacture and distribution, they don't get made unless you can con investors to keep funneling you money. This isn't about unfair and manipulative business practices. If you want to blame ignorance of manufacturers for leaving potential profit on the table, that's a different issue, but really it's just short people getting shafted from being a niche market because they are on the tail end of the bell curve.

If you want small wheel bikes, they exist, and you have to pay for them. No one said you can't make a high quality small wheel bike, that's a nonargument. Even if you bring cost down at the manufacturer, small wheel parts still suffer from economies of scale in both manufacture and distribution due to being a niche market. It's also incredibly silly to obsess over wheel size when you have things like cranks which are actual biokinetic fit points not being being proportionally short.

Last edited by Kuromori; 02-24-20 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-24-20, 12:38 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

I'm sure the most profitable thing would be to only make one frame size, that which fits people at the very top of the bell curve. (Raleigh did this with a few models BITD.) From there, every additional size is a judgment call.

I'd argue whether the smallest sizes need be that much more expensive to make, though -- small wheels allow you to keep about the same frame angles down to the smallest sizes, allowing you to use the same lugs. Then it's just a matter of cutting the frame tubes shorter and sourcing smaller wheels and tires for the smallest sizes.

I agree that crank length needs to be a part of the solution. 175mm cranks have no business being on Korina's bike! In the smallest frame sizes, a slight up-charge for shorter cranks (or downgrade in prestige branding) would probably be acceptable.

We're probably more on the same page than I give credit for, but I just chafe at some of the tired excuses that are thrown around instead of serving the smallest and tallest cyclists. Shutting them out hurts cycling as a whole, IMO.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 02-24-20 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-13-20, 08:45 PM
shkimjohn

Bikes: Foundry Overland Rival 22, 2008 Mercier Elle 650c, Specialized Langster, 1989 Schwinn Prelude, 2017 Norco Valence 650c

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the share! It's good to know that there have been bikes made before the 00's for smaller riders. I'll be adding some of these on my radar to look out for on craigslist...