Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever have a professional bike fit?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 02:22 PM
Harumph

Bikes: 2018 BMC RoadMachine 02

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I purchased a new bike last week and tomorrow I'm having a first. I'm going to have a professional bike by Tad Hughes in Houston.

Tad Hughes Custom Fit Studio | Texas' only independent Master Bike Fitter and retailer of 100% custom footbeds for any lifestyle.

My riding buddy had it done after he purchased a new bike last year. I could tell immediately his gain in performance so I'm looking forward to my session.

I'll update later next week the outcome.

Hurumph
Old 03-14-18, 02:58 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Just an fyi, a bike fit can also make you lose performance for a few months as you may have to acclimate to muscles that you haven't used much before the proper bike fit.

All in all though, it normally makes a pretty positive difference.
Old 03-15-18, 02:01 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Also keep in mind that fit changes throughout life for various reasons including:

- weight gain
- weight loss
- loss of flexibility
- increased flexibility
- loss of fitness
- increased fitness
- injury

So ... get the professional fit, see how it goes, but if things change for some reason, be aware that you might feel differently on the bicycle and might need to make some additional adjustments.
Old 03-15-18, 08:26 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I had one last year and it was great experience. I would highly recommend it!
Old 03-15-18, 08:32 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I've had 3 over the years with mixed results.

One of the fitters, as soon as I started pedaling, says "oh, I guess you've ridden a lot"... as if he expected it to be an easy session.
Old 03-15-18, 09:34 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Also keep in mind that fit changes throughout life for various reasons including:

- weight gain
- weight loss
- loss of flexibility
- increased flexibility
- loss of fitness
- increased fitness
- injury

So ... get the professional fit, see how it goes, but if things change for some reason, be aware that you might feel differently on the bicycle and might need to make some additional adjustments.
To OP - had a fit, and it greatly enhanced my comfort and thus my ability to cycle effectively.

As for these changes - how often should one get refit (or at least retested)? Bear in mind I'm not talking a pro who makes his living cycling and has access to a fitter for constant tweaks. I'm talking about someone who cycles a decent amount in a more recreational fashion.
Old 03-15-18, 11:23 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
I've had 3 over the years with mixed results.

One of the fitters, as soon as I started pedaling, says "oh, I guess you've ridden a lot"... as if he expected it to be an easy session.
Who was that? Good grief.

My last fitting featured the fitter complaining about modern saddles and espousing the benefits of brooks-style saddles. Oooooookay. But he fixed my cleats up nice for me.
Old 03-15-18, 11:34 AM
Hunterdog

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Expert. 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had a fitting a few years ago when I was having pain in right hip area. He recommended shorter crank arms. I have been very happy with the results as my hip pain has totally gone away! So, for me, a positive experience.
Old 03-15-18, 02:20 PM
hcgaloi

Bikes: Spcialized RockHopper (free) 1992 Trek T100 Tandem ($220) 2006 Quintana Roo Seduza ($350) 2016 Giant Fastroad ($1100)

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a recreational rider with front left knee pain issue. I went in for a non-computerize bike fit. It helped reducing 70% of the pain. So, I'm considering a Retul fit ($450), and hope that it would fix the problem completely.

Simply sharing bike fit experience of a newbie...
Old 03-15-18, 02:24 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I've had one done a month ago. It was an overall positive experience. Most useful was a takeaway sheet with all the settings that I immediately utilized on my other 3 bikes.
Old 03-15-18, 02:56 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Several people on my bike team use Tad Hughes. They all speak highly of him.

I had professional fittings on both my road bikes, but nothing as extensive (or expensive) as Tad Hughes. Maybe someday.
Old 03-15-18, 07:06 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

- weight gain
- weight loss
- loss of flexibility
- increased flexibility
- loss of fitness
- increased fitness
- injury

Great points. Add to that the type of riding. Fitting can be a continuous thing if disciplines vary.

A good performance fitter will fit at power, not static. Kind of silly to fit someone without knowing how much push they are getting off the pedals.
Old 03-15-18, 08:47 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I had one done a couple of months after I had begun cycling, experiencing problems with tricep and toe numbness. In addition to adjusting my cleats and fit which eliminated the tricep numbness and significantly reduced toe numbness, my fitter also spent the session coaching me on my pedaling and posture -- so it's not just about the bike.
Old 03-15-18, 10:41 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Nope. No one has ever had a bike fit.
Old 03-15-18, 11:02 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
All the fitters here are so busy and overbooked, no one goes to them anymore.
Old 03-15-18, 11:03 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Butt seriously, I had one done for my custom bike, and have successfully transferred the measurements to my others.
Old 03-16-18, 06:17 AM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I had one, didn't work out for me. I was not particularly more comfortable and I developed knee pain that took quite some time to resolve. It did make me aware how much I was dropping my heels, and it did push me to try some different things on my own, so I guess I did end up with a better fit than I started with even if I did have to do it myself.
Old 03-16-18, 10:08 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Had one done about 7 years ago and it made a HUGE difference for me.

I had been road riding as a secondary option to mountain biking for the previous 12 years, but never loving it, as I was often running into some kind of joint or muscle pain after a few hours road riding. Over 60 miles and I could not be sure if I was going to be in pain.

The fit changed this and since then I can ride as long as I want and I started doing things like solo centuries. I now like road riding almost as much as mtb.

Interestingly, what worked well for me was pretty much the opposite of what many self-described experts (both in person and even more so online) were preaching.

One of the things I discovered was that pretty much no stock performance road bike frame at the time was going to fit me well. The upside was that frames that did fit me were mostly part of the oncoming wave of “all road” or gravel bikes which opened my eyes to the benefits of tires over 32mm wide for road use.
Old 03-16-18, 10:26 AM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts

My guess is :
most here have not.
But
Would like to.

DIY with help from folks here
& www articles for most of us
Old 03-16-18, 10:35 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I guess they can be useful (a lot recommendations here). And I suppose sometimes an "off-the-rack" bike simply won't fit and you will need to different crank or saddle or stem.

But if you're a recreational rider you should be able to adjust the bike to fit you without a professional fitter.
Old 03-16-18, 10:48 AM
silverado8405

Bikes: 2007 Trek 820, 2014 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I had one a year ago after my first season of riding left me with some knee pain. He raised my saddle almost an inch and a half and had me put on 165 mm cranks. Honestly best money I’ve ever spent as my knee pain is gone and so is my hip pain. What I did discover is that I’m solidly in an endurance setup due to my flexibility suckage and that the frame I wanted is out of my reach (quite literally) so my dreams are shattered there but I feel a lot better.
Old 03-16-18, 01:54 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Yep, got a RETUL at the Specialized dealer. Very thorough, but didn't change much. I've been riding a road bike for 2 years going into my 3rd year, and apparently already had my fit pretty well dialed in. I don't have any issues that necessitated much change. Mostly just validated what I already have and set some numbers to it. So in that aspect it was a good thing to do.

If you can afford it, I think just about everyone will benefit from it in some way.
Old 03-17-18, 08:00 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was told by two stores today that I have to buy a bike from their respective stores to get a bike fit...
Old 03-17-18, 01:38 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by San Pedro
I was told by two stores today that I have to buy a bike from their respective stores to get a bike fit...
I don’t think they are talking about the same “fit” process that most people here are talking about.

The fit I got took about three hours, and normally cost several hundred dollars (I traded for some carpentry work for the shop) and involved some speciallized equipment including a video camera setup with software that tracks your motion and various joint angles.

No shop that provides this is going to decline to offer this paid service just because you are not buying a bike at the time.
Old 03-17-18, 04:18 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I don’t think they are talking about the same “fit” process that most people here are talking about.

The fit I got took about three hours, and normally cost several hundred dollars (I traded for some carpentry work for the shop) and involved some speciallized equipment including a video camera setup with software that tracks your motion and various joint angles.

No shop that provides this is going to decline to offer this paid service just because you are not buying a bike at the time.
Quite the opposite surprisingly. The one shop said they could do the basic fitting for about $50, but for the full fitting one would have to have bought the bike there. Japan does things that don't really make sense at times. I'm sure I can find a shop that would do if I look long enough, but it'd probably be not so convenient.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.