Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question on upgrade..

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Question on upgrade..

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 07:34 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Question on upgrade..

Hi all,

Have been thinking about upgrading my bike. This is my current bike https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5...d_8377755.html only things I have changed on it are the tyres (GP4 Seasons) and saddle. Have owned this for about 2 years now and am now thinking about an upgrade, but and this is a big but... on a fairly tight budget. I am wanting something carbon and am thinking about upgrading the frame to this https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXPC...n-evo-frameset and swapping over all the components.

Question is, will this make or would I notice much difference in swapping the frame? Am thinking I could upgrade the components a little at a time, ie groupset to 105, once i have the frame or would it be better to upgrade the groupset and change the frame later??

any help/advice appreciated.
Old 01-16-19, 09:03 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I would change the frame and transfer the components. The geometry and materials of the frame are very different. You will feel a big difference.
Old 01-16-19, 09:19 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Bike parts are a lot more expensive bought piecemeal than bought as a complete bike. Thorough upgrades are rarely economically sensible. Sora shifters tend to feel a bit plasticky, but is an otherwise OK group.

You'll need a new front derailer, but otherwise the parts should transfer.
I wouldn't swap a frame - particularly if I can't test ride it - unless there's something about my current frame I seriously don't like.
You're out of pocket for the frame, you're off the bike for what time it takes you to transfer the parts. With no guarantee for success.
Old 01-16-19, 11:11 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Buying complete bikes is much more cost-effective than assembling a bike from individual pieces, especially at the mid-ranges. It's a good way to spend $1000 to build an $800 bike.

Two ways I would look at this: IF you want to upgrade your components sooner than later, I'd see what kind of resale price I can get for my current bike, add that to the cost of the new frame, and see what kinds of (complete) bikes are available at that price range. Look at 1- and 2-year old models as well, good deals can be had there, if they have your size in stock.

If you're perfectly happy with the controls, wheels, and mechs on your current bike, then the frame swap would be pretty cost-effective. You will need a new front mech, (~$30), the BB may or may not be the same, and you will most likely need new brake calipers (~$50). Your current bike specs a 'long reach' brake for use with bigger tires and/or fenders, your 'new' frame is a lot racier, and those usually take the short-reach calipers.
Comparing the geometry of the assembled bikes, a new stem will probably be required to get you fitted right, and you always have a cable or two that's too short to fit the new bike.
I figure add ~$100 to the cost of the frame for the pieces you need.
Old 01-16-19, 01:57 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I agree adding good parts to a marginal frame is a bad way to go, usually. Also, buying parts piecemeal (unless you spend four hours a day online every day, looking for lightly used take-off parts)is very expensive.

You can buy a CroMo Motobecane with 105 from BikesDirect for about $800---a 105 group alone will cost half that as a group, and almost that much bought one part at a time. (But check this out--- https://www.ebay.com/i/263863509416?...r=563234283043 (not affiliated with seller, just spottd it.))

Your best bet is to save up for a better bike with a good frame and decent components and then upgrade That bike. (Giant bikes often have very good frames compared to the components hung on them.)

For $900 (not sure about shipping to UK or the Continent, but I am sure similar deals are available) you can get an all-carbon Motobecane with Weinnman rims, and a New, 7000-series 105 group. That is about $300 in brand-new 7000-series 105 parts plus the frame, plus decent wheels. (Save Up To 60% Off Shimano Ultegra Carbon Road Bikes- Motobecane Sprint CF PRO)

So … for about US$ 700 you could have old Claris triple running gear on a decent CF frame … and for a couple hundred more you could have a whole bike.

Save the triple for touring, commuting, hauling groceries, and use the quick bike for fun … or whatever.

I love to build bikes. I get pleasure from doing it and I have built a lot. But to build a Good bike almost always costs more than buying a similar bike pre-built. If you Want to build a better bike, then resign yourself to taking six or eight months (perhaps) to amass the parts (grab stuff like the EBay 105 group.) You can do it on a budget but it takes shopping dedication.

Otherwise, wait that same six months, save your pennies, and buy a complete bike. Then … next season you can think about upgrading That bike.

But really, of course, the answer is …. Do whatever makes you happy and keeps you riding.
Old 01-16-19, 02:09 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
The proposed updated frame is $442 in USD, where exactly is she going to get a new bike with upgraded components for that kind of price?

Frankly, it's easier to buy parts one at a time (for the pocket book) than to wait till you have the whole thousand to buy a new bike. You probably won't get much resale value on your old, bare frame though.
Old 01-16-19, 02:42 PM
hcgaloi

Bikes: Spcialized RockHopper (free) 1992 Trek T100 Tandem ($220) 2006 Quintana Roo Seduza ($350) 2016 Giant Fastroad ($1100)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just want to share my experience.

Last year I built two road bikes from frame sets. Local bike shops quoted for complete Dura Ace 9100 (mechanical) groupset from $2,700 to $3,400. I purchased individual parts from various online shops in Europe (Wiggle, Ribble Cycles, Chain Reaction, Probikekit, etc.) taking advantage of 30%-50% sales and additional 10% first time buyer (when possible). The total cost came to $950 for first groupset with brand new parts. For second groupset, I bought new and used (craigslist/eBay) parts for $600.

Anyway, it took almost two months to collect all the parts.

Gook luck