Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What causes a tire to do this?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-19, 06:44 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

Hello there.

I was riding the other day and noticed what felt like a light thumping on my rear tire. I rode again tonight and noticed that the wheel was dragging at one spot when I was walking the bike along the hallway. I thought it was a brake pad rubbing on an out of true wheel but it wasn't that. It's a side-to-side deflection on the tire. Here are two images of it. ANy idea as to what would cause this?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and cheers
Old 10-31-19, 06:48 PM
darkhorse75

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
The carcass the tire has been compromised in some way causing the bulge. Bin it before it explodes.
Likes For darkhorse75:
Old 10-31-19, 06:49 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
A hard hit on a curb or other bump. Time for a new tire
Likes For DOS:
Old 10-31-19, 07:39 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Yes sirs. I know the tire is toast. I'll be cutting it in half before tossing it. I do that to all scrap tires so that some unsuspecting person doesn't try to use it. We used to taco damaged wheels at one of the shops I worked at and we also cut damaged tires so they couldn't be used. There are a surprising number of people who scavenge the garbage at bicycle shops in the hope that they'll find something useful. Unfortunately many of those scavengers don't know what to look for to be sure an item is safe to use. I figure if it's in the garbage it's there for a pretty good reason.

Cheers
Old 10-31-19, 07:45 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Yes sirs. I know the tire is toast. I'll be cutting it in half before tossing it.
I work in the electronics industry and do the same thing with bad cables, cut off the ends or crush the connectors. It is surprising how many times people will take something out of the trash and try to put it back to use; it never seems to occur to them that it is there for a reason.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 10-31-19, 07:59 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I work in the electronics industry and do the same thing with bad cables, cut off the ends or crush the connectors. It is surprising how many times people will take something out of the trash and try to put it back to use; it never seems to occur to them that it is there for a reason.
Or they don't have the money to buy the item and hope they can scrounge something to make do with. One bike shop that I know of here in town also destroys unwanted stuff so it can't be taken from the garbage and used. They do that to avoid potential lawsuits in case someone has an accident with a scrounged item.

Cheers

Cheers
Old 10-31-19, 09:27 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I call this tire affliction "the dreaded S-bulge". Happened to me once at mile 80 of a century on relatively new tires. Made it the final 20 miles and finished with the cords starting to show.
Old 10-31-19, 09:47 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 661 Posts
yes, the cords in the casing have broken / sheared off. Early Grand Bois tires which were very nice would develop a bulge after about 500 miles.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 11-01-19, 12:27 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
On the other hand, they likely evoke the old adage: "one man's trash, is another man's treasure."

Last edited by KraneXL; 11-01-19 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-01-19, 12:55 AM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by KraneXL
On the other hand, the likely evoke the old adage: "one man's trash, is another man's treasure."
Or "One man's garbage is another man's salvage and accident waiting to happen". LOL VBEG

Cheers
Old 11-01-19, 06:32 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
I've had the same thing happen with Performance Forte tires that were virtually brand new. There were the cheapest tires I could buy at the time and I guess they proved it.
Old 11-01-19, 11:21 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I have a brand new Vittoria tubular with the same problem
It's my spare.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-08-19, 08:41 PM
Ronsonic 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
I like when someone brings in something for repair and the power cord is cut off and the fuse cap missing. "Oh, just replace the cord and the cap, I'm sure that's all that's wrong with it."
Old 11-09-19, 01:08 AM
JoeKahno

Bikes: Bridgestone Albelt with a second Bridgestone chain drive as a backup

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronsonic
I like when someone brings in something for repair and the power cord is cut off and the fuse cap missing. "Oh, just replace the cord and the cap, I'm sure that's all that's wrong with it."
I wasn't going to comment. I'm a life long, hard core, dumpster diver. What I can't get my head around is the notion that somebody would retrieve a lump of discarded technology knowing they weren't competent to evaluate or repair it, then consider paying a tech to do that for them. That's like going to an insurance auction for "total loss" vehicles, then paying a mechanic to bring it back from the dead.
Old 11-09-19, 05:56 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeKahno
I wasn't going to comment. I'm a life long, hard core, dumpster diver. What I can't get my head around is the notion that somebody would retrieve a lump of discarded technology knowing they weren't competent to evaluate or repair it, then consider paying a tech to do that for them. That's like going to an insurance auction for "total loss" vehicles, then paying a mechanic to bring it back from the dead.
That is my experience with friends who went to police auctions to buy their bikes. Very popular in the '70s. They'd bring them to me or to the shop I worked at and were shocked to learn what it would take to make them right. My favorite was the Falcon road bike with a fork whose steerer was held to the fork crown by one blob of braze at the front; nothing for about 300 degrees of arc around the rest of the bottom of the steerer.
Old 11-09-19, 08:16 PM
JoeKahno

Bikes: Bridgestone Albelt with a second Bridgestone chain drive as a backup

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
That is my experience with friends who went to police auctions to buy their bikes. Very popular in the '70s. They'd bring them to me or to the shop I worked at and were shocked to learn what it would take to make them right. My favorite was the Falcon road bike with a fork whose steerer was held to the fork crown by one blob of braze at the front; nothing for about 300 degrees of arc around the rest of the bottom of the steerer.
My last three cars were bought off the impound lot. However, I made my bids fully aware that the person most familiar with the vehicle thought it wasn't worth the storage charges. I was buying raw material, not reliable transportation.
Old 11-10-19, 06:52 AM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
In automotive tires thats whats known as a “broken belt”. Damage is usually the result of a hard, offset impact.

In bike tires there is typically one, thin belt and this may also be the result of an in-service impact, or even damaged initially when it was installed (folded, twisted, creased, stretched, mis-stored etc.) and now thats its gotten quite thin, the symptom is allowed to exhibit itself.

In any event, broken belt or not that tire is certainly used up and due if not overdue for replacement.
Old 11-11-19, 02:43 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
When my kids where younger, they had quite a few bikes that came home with the 'EVIDENCE' tag still attached. Of course they where all striped down and refurbished before they rode them.
Old 11-22-19, 08:14 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
Well Joe and Ronsonic,
I have been to more auctions in a university setting than I wish to recall, and I sometimes live in a junkyard world, but I still can find a bargain or two. Last week it was a wheel that needed four spokes to be reconstructed, into a usable item. What you decide to retrieve is up to you but a knowledgeable purchase works quite well. I think that a good eye in dumpster diving, and junk yard scrounging, can work to your favor. Smiles, MH
Old 11-24-19, 04:48 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
my cheap tires bulge experiences

Neither tire had more than 400 miles on them