Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Recommendation needed: Puncture resistance and clearance under fenders

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Recommendation needed: Puncture resistance and clearance under fenders

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-20, 08:18 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobLee
I second, or third, the Portland experience, or lack thereof, with flats. I’ve never flatted in this town from a puncture in ten years. That’s gotta be dumb luck, or I’ve got a whole heap of flats coming my way. Last year I did 1000 commute miles on an old pair of Maxxis Afterburners without a single problem. They have a kevlar belt, but are nothing special.
see because of you I got three flats in am month thanks so much
Old 02-22-20, 09:09 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I second, or third, the Portland experience, or lack thereof, with flats. I’ve never flatted in this town from a puncture in ten years. That’s gotta be dumb luck, or I’ve got a whole heap of flats coming my way. Last year I did 1000 commute miles on an old pair of Maxxis Afterburners without a single problem. They have a kevlar belt, but are nothing special.
Depends on where and how much you ride -- roads are cleaner some places than others. I encounter rock chips in areas where it's scattered for traction and glass is a problem in certain areas. From your commute mileage, I'm guessing you must be near the core? If so, it's pretty clean there.

I get a few flats a year, but it's no big deal. Overall, roads are good.
Old 02-24-20, 09:46 AM
PDXCarless

Bikes: Priority Continuum Onyx, Brompton, Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I just fixed a flat on my wife's bike, yesterday. OEM tires on her Jamis Aurora. It was a shard of glass and she was biking solely in NE (Portland) for the last week. I ride 4-6k miles a year and, on a set of typical tires I only get a flat every couple of months. However, that is still too often. It means I'm late to work or to an appointment or even to meet a friend. We are dedicated carless so a flat is usually more than a minor inconvenience. I was having flats at about the same rate on my Brompton until I switch to a set of Marathon+ and I'd estimate there is at least 4k miles on those with no flats. Whatever downsides came with the Marathons are/were not noticeable to me,other than the feeling of trying to bend rebar when mounting them on 16" wheels. I thought my backup hybrid (my primary until a month ago) had M+ on them but I looked and they are Continental Contact Plus. I had forgotten the shop I went to didn't have the M+ but they said they would install the toughest set they had in stock. I'd guess those have seen at least 3K with no flats.

I'm not arguing here. Maybe that is coincidence or dumb luck. However, maybe "overkill" is working.

Last edited by PDXCarless; 02-24-20 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-24-20, 10:06 AM
PDXCarless

Bikes: Priority Continuum Onyx, Brompton, Specialized Crossroads

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
You might look into carrying one of these with you. They are terrific. https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tir...2339893&sr=8-2
OMG, thank you. I didn't know that existed.
Old 02-24-20, 09:51 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
I had three flats on my marathon + in am month when it was always wet. a sharp nail on the road a blind metal piece in Home Depot parking lot. the a tiny wire on the road. so portland is not always safe. but I put in 20+ miles a day on my bike anti is a e bike so it weights more and goes faster.
Old 02-24-20, 10:38 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by PDXCarless
Noted. Thanks.

Any others? I'm open to other brands.
I had these for mixed road/crushed limestone/gravel commute. These have been bombproof for my commute. Never flatted and they wear well and are good on pavement as well as the middle section is flat like a slick. May not be the best choice if you are strictly pavement, though they work on pavement well (note Donnelly tire used to be Clement tire).

https://www.amazon.com/Donnelly-Stra...8PF?th=1&psc=1

Last edited by GeneO; 02-24-20 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-24-20, 10:52 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by PDXCarless
How difficult are the Bontrager Hardcases to mount when compared to the Marathon+? It would be nice bonus if I was actually able to mount the tire myself. I have jacked up thumbs from years of jamming them playing competitive dodgeball and have a really difficult time getting the last bit over the rim.
Here is the trick to mounting a difficult tire. When you get to moving the last, hard section of bead over the rim, make sure the bead of the rest of the tire is in the *deepest* middle section of the wheel. Just go around with your free hand and pinch it towards the middle. This loosens the remaining bead and it will usually easily slip over the rim once you do this. I had some tires that were a bear to get on until I came across this trick. It is obvious - once you think about it
Old 02-28-20, 07:53 AM
rivers

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
I've been using pirelli cinturato velos in 32mm for winter commuting. Excellent puncture protection, they roll well, easy to mount, and tubeless ready if you want to go down that route.
Old 02-28-20, 03:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
That’s gotta be dumb luck, or I’ve got a whole heap of flats coming my way.
I can never tell when people are joking, so forgive me. You know it doesn't work that way, right?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-28-20, 08:25 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I can never tell when people are joking, so forgive me. You know it doesn't work that way, right?
I was sorta joking, but maybe a little superstitious?
Old 03-04-20, 09:55 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
The tire that gives me the least flats is the continental ride tour. In 32mm its not large. They are cheap 20 or 25 bucks. They also suck for feel compared to a pasela but you likely wont get a flat.
Old 03-04-20, 10:54 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
https://tannusamerica.com/pages/tannus-tires

Impervious to nails, pinch flats, drywall screws, beer bottle bottoms. Weight gain offset by ditching the pump, C02, tire levers, patches, spare tubes.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but one more flat on my commuter and I'm doing it.
Old 03-25-20, 06:59 AM
Wendell F
My pants used to fit me

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, All-City Super Professional

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I know I'm a little late to the game here but I've had great luck with Vittoria Randonneur 700x32. They pump up closer to 29 or 30 and top out at 85psi. My GF and I use them on 3 different daily-used bikes including a skid-happy fixed gear and the only flat we've gotten in 3 years was when a creep knifed my GF's tires after she rebuffed his advances.