Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Mirrors... There, I said it.

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Mirrors... There, I said it.

Old 03-30-13, 07:57 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alan s
I tried a helmet mounted mirror once, and it only distracted me. There is nothing a mirror would do to make me feel safer
If you can't even recognize the potential benefits, I'm afraid that only proves you don't know how to use one.
Old 03-30-13, 08:00 PM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Count me as one of the mirror fans.

I tried a glasses mounted mirror about 30 yrs ago. But I found it distracting. I also seemed to have a hard time interpreting what I saw when I was actually trying to look in it.

But I'm very uncomfortable riding without a handlebar mirror. I use two, in fact.

Whether in a car or on a bike, I'm fond of thinking that NO ONE comes up on me without my knowing it. And it's very nearly true.
Old 03-30-13, 08:01 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil
The idiotic comments regarding mirrors and why people do not use them when sharing the road never ceases to amaze me. There is not a single good reason not to wear one. Any comment against it can easily be disregarded as nonsense.

Lastly, any mirror is better than none at all but if you truly want to be efficient with your vision, it needs to be head mounted.
The very last thing I need while riding in NYC is another distraction. I've been riding for almost 50 years and never felt that I made a bad decision because I didn't see BEHIND me. I ride and assume that there is something coming and I don't make stupid moves. I wish I could say the same for other cyclists. They are the only ones that will startle me.
Old 03-30-13, 08:06 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zacster
In NYC I don't need a mirror. I just assume there is someone right behind me as there always is. Don't make stupid moves, if you are unsure about what is behind you don't pull out. There's already enough visual stimulation on our streets in front and to the side of us. The instant I look behind will be the same instant that pedestrian steps right into my path.
The location doesn't matter if you're sharing the road. You're more aware with a mirror and with peripheral vision you can see front and back simultaneously. Thing is, you need one of these devices for it to work.

Last edited by daredevil; 03-30-13 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-30-13, 08:09 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The very last thing I need while riding in NYC is another distraction. .
I just don't understand the concept of being more visually aware as a distraction.

Last edited by daredevil; 03-30-13 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-30-13, 08:12 PM
HK2K13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't ride with mirrors and have never tried it either..... Maybe one day.. Who knows? For some reason I think that they'll be a distraction for me.
Old 03-30-13, 08:19 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
I don't give a rip if ur in timbuktu. You're more aware with a mirror and there exists a new exciting thing called peripheral vision that actually let's you see front and back simultaneously. Thing is, you need one of these devices for it to work.
Actually, you don't. That's what peripheral vision is, the ability to detect what's around you WITHOUT a device. With a device you have assisted vision. In a car you need a mirror because you're surrounded and your vision is cut. On a bike you still can see what's on the periphery of yourself even without looking directly at it. I can also HEAR what's coming at me, with 2 exceptions. #1 and the most usual suspect is another bike. #2 is an electric bus or car. We don't have either of those in NYC that I've seen since 1960 (really, you can look it upTrolley bus in Brooklyn). When I lived in Seattle I'd avoid the trolley-bus routes because I couldn't hear them. I haven't lived in Seattle in 30 years now, so not an issue.
Old 03-30-13, 08:32 PM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
The idiotic comments regarding mirrors and why people do not use them when sharing the road never ceases to amaze me. There is not a single good reason not to wear one. Any comment against it can easily be disregarded as nonsense.

Lastly, any mirror is better than none at all but if you truly want to be efficient with your vision, it needs to be head mounted.
So what your saying is if someone disagree with you they HAVE to be wrong? Wow, what an ego!

A mirror may work for you, but I, like others find them distracting. You can try and insist that's wrong, but the fact remains.

As for head mounted mirrors, that only really works for those that wear helmets, and even then they are still distracting. Not to mention I could never feel safe with glass that close to my eye.

I KNOW you'll disagree, but for me it's true and that's all that matters.

Last edited by harshbarj; 03-30-13 at 08:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-30-13, 08:59 PM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried a helmet mounted mirror once, and it only distracted me. There is nothing a mirror would do to make me feel safer or actually be safer. Not like a car is going to do anything different, and I already have 360 degree awareness.
I know I sure feel safer with a big blurry spot in front of me!

LOL I wonder if they make prescription mirrors for glasses.
Old 03-31-13, 01:53 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
On a bike you still can see what's on the periphery of yourself even without looking directly at it. I can also HEAR what's coming at me, with 2 exceptions.
1) When I wear a hood, peripheral vision is very much reduced. As well as vision when i turn my head.

2) In a car you are sitting in a chair and changing your balance, turning etc. won't affect your steering - on a bike it takes some conscious effort and concentration to keep a straight line when turning around.

3) Hearing can be deceptive, as you've said.

So mirrors do come in handy. There are, however, 2 reasons I DON'T use them:

1) One more thing on a bike that can attract thieves - I make it plain, simple and as ugly as can bee.

2) Cars in my country always drive as if they'll run you over, swerving to go past you in the last second. So having mirror always had me scared and stressed - better not to see. Especially since most of the time in places I commute, there's a 20 cm high road side barrier - so no place to run.
Old 03-31-13, 07:36 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Yes, what is up with these roads with no shoulder and a steep curb, anyway? I absolutely despise those things.

As for turning where you're looking, I have a bad tendency to do that in both my car driving and my bicycle riding. I blame power steering sensitivity for the former. So if I looked over my shoulder to see incoming traffic, I'd be steering INTO said traffic as I look, or overcompensating and hitting those despicable curbs instead.
Old 03-31-13, 07:41 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I use a mirror all the time, for road cycling, not for commuting. I never did see the need until I was helping a slower rider into a headwind, and had no good way to monitor the gap between us. Nearly all of the riders in randonneuring use one as well.
Old 03-31-13, 08:33 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by merkong
I have a buddy who is an old roadie and still trains as though he was racing. That's cool and all. He likes the big rides and does them often. Years ago, I purchased a mirror, the one that attaches to the bow of your glasses. He was like, "those ain't cool man..." Needless to say I never wore it. Recently, I came across it and have done a few rides while wearing it. I like it. I ride on the road and can't believe how easy it is to glance back versus the constant headturn. I still am prone to firsthand looks (non-mirror image) when maneuvering right hand turn lanes and a few other crucial and potentially dangerous situations. I like the mirror. Am I not cool anymore? Anyone else (I've seen a few in the profile pictures) wear a mirror or maybe, gasp, have one mounted on their steed? Safety first, convenience second, coolness third.
The moment you started riding a bike you left the "cool" sector according to about 90% or so of the people out there that refuse to ride bikes and have their feelings reinforced by car commercials.

If your mirror works for you... it is perfect for you... that is all that really counts.
Old 03-31-13, 09:58 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
If you can't even recognize the potential benefits, I'm afraid that only proves you don't know how to use one.
Let's see .... the mirror attaches to your helmet, glasses or handlebars, and you look at it to see behind you?
Old 03-31-13, 10:27 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let's see .... the mirror attaches to your helmet, glasses or handlebars, and you look at it to see behind you?
that's part of it, now you have to know where to look when...a lot of people are clueless. Ever heard of bad drivers?
Old 03-31-13, 10:30 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by harshbarj
So what your saying is if someone disagree with you they HAVE to be wrong? Wow, what an ego!

A mirror may work for you, but I, like others find them distracting. You can try and insist that's wrong, but the fact remains.

As for head mounted mirrors, that only really works for those that wear helmets, and even then they are still distracting. Not to mention I could never feel safe with glass that close to my eye.

I KNOW you'll disagree, but for me it's true and that's all that matters.
Yes I do disagree and your post points out the things you have to learn. There are helmet mounted and glasses mounted mirrors. Before you tell me you don't wear glasses, there are sunglasses and clear safety type glasses (not a bad idea anyway).

This has nothing to do with anybody's ego and everything to do with common sense. If you are distracted paying attention to all the traffic around you, you do not belong on the road with vehicles.
Old 03-31-13, 10:35 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually, you don't. That's what peripheral vision is, the ability to detect what's around you WITHOUT a device.
Oh my...so you can see in the back of your head with your peripheral vision? Congrats on that!

btw, mirrors are in car for visual efficiency, not because of blind spots. And head checks are necessary because of blind spots, not a problem with a head mounted mirror, there are no blind spots.

Mirrors are used in the same way for ALL vehicles that share the road. Those that know how to use them are not a burden on traffic while those that don't often are.
Old 03-31-13, 10:39 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The nonsense I spoke of:

I don't wear glasses so I can't use a glasses mounted mirror.

I get distracted with too much visual information.

The mirror blocks my vision.

I'm more concerned being injured by the mirror than a car.

All I need is my hearing to keep me safe.

Mirrors are necessary in cars because they are different than bikes. The same benefits that mirrors provide in a car don't work for a bike or are not applicable to a bike.

There's plenty more to come I'm sure.
Old 03-31-13, 03:10 PM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I'd say it's time to stop feeding the troll. Perhaps a mod can lock the thread?
Old 03-31-13, 06:45 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I have a real question about mirrors, since I am just starting to commute.

I have a MTB handlebar set with bar ends on. Will this mirror: https://www.amazon.com/Blackburn-2041...n+multi+mirror
slide into the hole at the end of them? I'm assuming I'll just swivel the mirror on that pivot so that it sits to the side (because the hole on the bar end obviously faces inward).

thanks!
Old 03-31-13, 08:53 PM
merkong
Cyclist, Runner & TRX'er

Bikes: Steel Bianchi, 29 inch Redline Monocog, a Carbon something someday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say not. The commuting forum is usually free of instigators. Hopefully the thread will live on a bit as some truly know little of the mirror benefit and maybe those who feel compelled can help them. Just saying...
Old 04-01-13, 04:51 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're referring to me as the troll, I'm sorry, that is not my intent. One of the biggest, if not the biggest keys to staying safe while sharing the road in any vehicle, is 360 degree visual awareness all the time. Active eyes, not an active body spinning like a top.
Old 04-01-13, 05:13 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
What troll?

I find this thread to be most interesting as I'm thinking about getting a mirror. If you are offended by the different opinions that are being expressed, why don't you just stop reading instead of calling for censorship?
Old 04-01-13, 06:43 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
I cycled daily to work and/or school for 15 years without a mirror and felt safe enough. Then I tried a helmet mounted mirror when i was 29 (1988) and have not been without it since.

I find it more a matter of convienence in a city with streets full of potholes and other debris. But it is not a safety cure-all as mirrors do have their limitations.

I would feel less comfortable without a mirror while cycling.
Old 04-01-13, 01:26 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I find it more a matter of convienence i
I see it that way too. I can ride on average faster and fit into the flow of traffic better with one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.