Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Just bought an inversion table

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 06:38 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts

I found a really good deal on a Teeter EP 860. Waiting for delivery. Anyone have any experiences with inversion tables or advise?
Old 01-10-18, 12:26 AM
timsmcm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have had a teeter inversion table for 15 years. I worked for ups for 30+ years and in that time I hurt my back. If it had not been for the inversion table I would not have been able to make retirement. They work. All humans should have an inversion table imho.
Old 01-10-18, 04:37 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I had an inversion table for a few years. Unfortunately, my lower back is so messed up that it only helped temporarily. If my back weren't so messed up I would still have it and still be using it today. I think they're a good thing to use, even for healthy non-injured backs.
Old 01-11-18, 12:42 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I've had a Teeter inversion table since my back issue in 2010. My spinal surgeon said that it was the only thing that kept me off of his operating table for 6 months.

I don't use it regularly anymore as the above referenced surgeon did a great job but I do use it from time to time.

Not much to it really. Hang for several (2-3) sets of 2-5 min with a min break in between to let the blood flow back out of your brain. If your back was as jacked up as mine you'll feel this amazing pop and rush of...don't know how to describe it...but you'll know it if it happens.
Old 01-12-18, 08:57 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
I think my Teeter saved both my husband and I.

Because of work, I have two herniated disks in my back and was paralyzed for 6 months. Went to the Chiro 2-3 times a week for a few years.

$$$$$

Decided to invest in this and it allowed me to go on it whenever I need to. And just to make a point, I have not needed to be on mine for over 3 months.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 01-13-18, 03:52 AM
ModeratedUser17082018

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bruce19
I found a really good deal on a Teeter EP 860. Waiting for delivery. Anyone have any experiences with inversion tables or advise?
I'd be very interested in your initial impressions of this product. May I ask the price and where you bought it?
Old 01-13-18, 08:07 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by SpinThrift
I'd be very interested in your initial impressions of this product. May I ask the price and where you bought it?
I got it from COSTCO on-line. It was $330 or so. That included shipping. They advertise the unit at $299. This is new but last year's model. I think they are discounted by about $100 from original list.

Last edited by bruce19; 01-13-18 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-13-18, 08:11 AM
bruce19

Still waiting for delivery. Should be here on Monday. My motivation for getting a table is loss of height and stiffness in my lower back. I don't expect to get height back but am concerned that the spinal compression could lead to nerve impact.
Old 01-13-18, 01:30 PM
bruce19

Hmm. Came home from doing errands and the table was here. Going to put it together now.
Old 01-13-18, 07:18 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

BIG TIP!

Remember that it's your arms that make it balance! Bring your arms slowly to your chest and it will start to lay back. Whatever you do, don't do it fast or you will freak yourself out!! My brother in law did it and he will never go on it again LOL
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 01-14-18, 10:33 AM
bruce19

Jeeezus....so much cardboard, foam and plastic packing. About to put it together but I have to run down to meet moto friends in New Haven for pizza at Pepe's and cigars and whiskey at the Owl Shop near Yale.
Old 01-14-18, 11:45 PM
timsmcm

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What stogie are you going to smoke? Man I love a great well kept cigar.
Old 01-16-18, 01:41 PM
bruce19

It was an Arturo Fuente Churchill.
Old 01-16-18, 01:55 PM
bruce19

So, put my new Teeter inversion table together and tried it out. Full disclosure......while I make no claims to tech/mechanical genius, I do have a certification to teach Industrial Technology (aka: SHOP). The quality of the materials used is quite good. This is a piece that should last for many years. Probably a lot longer than I will. I decided I would abandon my usual approach and actually read the directions. The first sheet said I should insert the 'bridge" onto the table. So, what's a bridge? It turns out it's a piece of flat plastic and can actually be bent and inserted onto the table to form a support for the hollow of your back. Not obvious and several views and readings of the directions were needed to identify the part and install it. Installation was simple. There were a couple other similar issues but the actual construction of the table (in retrospect) was not difficult.

Use: After a few misadventures it occurred to me that the basis for successful use was in the balance of body weight over the pivot point of the table. Once I established that fact I was able to get my body into a proper position. Then I tried it out for a few minutes and I found it to be comfortable. I'm looking forward to longer sessions to see how it actually affects my body. I'm optimistic.
Old 01-16-18, 11:59 PM
timsmcm

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It was an Arturo Fuente Churchill.
My usual smoke is Arturo Fuente magnum r sun grown 54
Old 01-17-18, 03:43 AM
ModeratedUser17082018

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
So, put my new Teeter inversion table together and tried it out. Full disclosure......while I make no claims to tech/mechanical genius, I do have a certification to teach Industrial Technology (aka: SHOP). The quality of the materials used is quite good. This is a piece that should last for many years. Probably a lot longer than I will. I decided I would abandon my usual approach and actually read the directions. The first sheet said I should insert the 'bridge" onto the table. So, what's a bridge? It turns out it's a piece of flat plastic and can actually be bent and inserted onto the table to form a support for the hollow of your back. Not obvious and several views and readings of the directions were needed to identify the part and install it. Installation was simple. There were a couple other similar issues but the actual construction of the table (in retrospect) was not difficult.

Use: After a few misadventures it occurred to me that the basis for successful use was in the balance of body weight over the pivot point of the table. Once I established that fact I was able to get my body into a proper position. Then I tried it out for a few minutes and I found it to be comfortable. I'm looking forward to longer sessions to see how it actually affects my body. I'm optimistic.
Thanks for the info. It's on my list.
Old 01-17-18, 10:35 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
BIG TIP!

Remember that it's your arms that make it balance! Bring your arms slowly to your chest and it will start to lay back. Whatever you do, don't do it fast or you will freak yourself out!! My brother in law did it and he will never go on it again LOL
You didnt see my post.
Old 01-17-18, 01:21 PM
bruce19

What I failed to realize initially was that I had to get my body into a neutral weight distribution before the arms would be helpful. Using the Teeter scale vis a vis height was not quite accurate. A lot of my weight is through my chest and shoulders. So, I had to play with the settings.
Old 02-26-18, 05:05 PM
The next level

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What I failed to realize initially was that I had to get my body into a neutral weight distribution before the arms would be helpful. Using the Teeter scale vis a vis height was not quite accurate. A lot of my weight is through my chest and shoulders. So, I had to play with the settings.
Do you have an update?
Old 02-26-18, 07:07 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
A lot of my weight is through my chest and shoulders.
Lucky you. Good on ya, mate.
Old 02-27-18, 05:17 AM
bruce19

I wish I could give a better update but I haven't been able to use the table consistently. Since Thanksgiving I've been sick several times with something that lasts for 3 weeks each time. A consequence of running into people who declined to stay home when they were sick. Thus, spreading their illnesses to the rest of us. The limited time I've had has been positive. I'll try to get back into a groove and post.
Old 02-27-18, 11:45 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Looking forward to the results when you have time.
Old 03-11-18, 01:27 AM
bikebasket

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried some inversion therapy using just a sheet and rope like this ;

Worked great and comfortable as doesn't dig in to the body. Great hearing the back joints click. Any old strong sheet works.
I did however get a bad ear infection shortly after so stopped doing it as read inversion can cause this.
Old 03-13-18, 07:29 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Looking forward to the results when you have time.
So, I have had some time with the table. Basically, once you set it up for your height/weight distribution, it is easy to use. (Setup is very important) You are supposed to use it for 5-10 minutes a session about 3 times a day. I use it with some music in the background and I find it relaxing. It does stretch you out and I have had occasion to use it when my lower back felt tight and achy. I found that it helped significantly. Happy I have it.