Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Does bicycle education work?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Does bicycle education work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-18, 06:32 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Only problem is, in the UK it would have to follow the Highway Code, so would end up being the same as all the other cycling safety courses. That highlights the main problem with cycling savvy: for it to work properly and not endanger both cyclists and other road users, eveybody has to be working from the same book.
The highway code is (and should be) the "same book" everyone is working from, and as far as I can tell, CS is in compliance with it. It's just teaching (legal) techniques that may enhance cyclist safety. Can anyone show where something from CS training is in violation of the highway code? I'd be surprised if there was.
Old 01-24-18, 07:35 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
In the UK, all the coursework would need to be revamped for a start, if only owing to the Brits having decided not to go with Napoleon!
Old 01-24-18, 01:36 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
The highway code is (and should be) the "same book" everyone is working from, and as far as I can tell, CS is in compliance with it. It's just teaching (legal) techniques that may enhance cyclist safety. Can anyone show where something from CS training is in violation of the highway code? I'd be surprised if there was.
The CS technique of "control & release" is influenced by John Franklin's Cyclecraft approach defined in terms of primary and secondary lane positions. which was developed in the UK.

The fundamental principles underlying traffic law are sufficiently uniform for techniques to be legal across all countries. It's the same reason someone from Texas can board a plane, land anywhere in Europe, rent a car, and drive safely and legally without learning anything about the traffic law there, beyond knowing to drive on the left in the UK. When in doubt, don't turn on red.
Old 01-24-18, 02:13 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
So, not necessarily compliance at all. Thznks for sharing
Old 01-24-18, 02:21 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
I think that rather makes my point.
How? I just described cyclist behavior that doesn't confuse drivers, removes the cyclist from congested, dangerous situations and is technically illegal.
Old 01-28-18, 10:38 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Teaching my bicycle is worse than teaching me.