Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

When does safety become dangerous?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

When does safety become dangerous?

Old 02-04-18, 08:10 AM
RidesaJapanese

Bikes: Takara Deluxe Touring 12 speed, Trek Tracklight 730

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are streets here I won't cycle or drive on, because it means running a gauntlet of unshielded LED glare bombs, horizontally mounted on the sides of buildings instead of directed downward. Many urban areas are far worse, drivers and cyclists are subjected to a sea of unshielded street lights, "insecurity" lights glaring out off the sides of buildings, LED billboards, headlights, the occasional emergency vehicle LED strobes, I could see even the most well lit bike not being noticed in all that light clutter.
Old 02-04-18, 10:50 AM
RidesaJapanese

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.change.org/p/u-s-dot-ban...and-save-lives

It is clear to anyone who drives, walks or bikes the roads: the trend toward LED and HID headlights has become a source of dangerous, blinding glare.

In addition, LED daytime running lamps, as well as overly-bright LED tail-lights, brake-lights and turn signals, are a source of fatal distraction, creating what is known as inattentional blindness or the “Las Vegas Effect”, a visual field so polluted by distracting glare that the brain has a hard time keeping focused on the important subjects like pedestrians in a crosswalk.
Old 02-04-18, 11:12 AM
RidesaJapanese

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bizman
Ridesajapaneze, I am with you on the light pollution, there are several residences around here that the glare from their dusk to dawn lights is terrible. It ruins the night scape and view of the stars and atmosphere. I agree, a motion light or a band around the light to contain the light into the property. It is very annoying, our twp has rules about this, it looks obvious that they are not enforcing it though.
Thank you for your support. Light pollution is certainly bad on many levels, we need all the activists we can get. Maybe you could write to the local paper, or talk to the people with the lights and suggest they save energy by using motion sensors? Last week I talked to a neighbor north of me, he was leaving on a light on the back of his house from dusk to dawn that was as bad as any streetlight, he has since left it off and said he wants to be a good neighbor.

I just posted a petition (not mine) to ban LED headlights, the comments are well worth reading, some even specifically mention bicycle lights. There is a lot of frustration being wrought by this dangerous LED revolution, and it's equally frustrating when people act like you're a conspiracy theorist or something.
Old 02-04-18, 01:11 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by RidesaJapanese
It is clear to anyone who drives, walks or bikes the roads: the trend toward LED and HID headlights has become a source of dangerous, blinding glare.
Absolutely!!!!!---except for facts, and reality, and that silly stuff.

Dude ... slow down and think.

Everyone Here walks, cycles and most of us drive ... and have done so for decades.

And guess what ... the cars around where all of us do those things are the same as the ones which you are telling us are intolerably dangerous.

Don't stress, you are not the first person who was unable to convince others that the Earth is flat ... or that 2+2=5.

First it was bike headlights, then "small-town mentality" (yeah, just like in big towns, small cities, and anywhere else ... people call a jerk, a jerk--not that anyone says that about you.) Then it was streetlights. Then it was light pollution. Now it is car headlights.

When I see someone so eager to fight, I walk away and let them fight with themselves.

Good luck. I hope you win.

By the way ... the freaking Sun is the brightest light in the sky half the day. I cannot even see my bike headlight, or car headlights, and forget about seeing other stars. Can you do something about that?
Old 02-04-18, 01:24 PM
RidesaJapanese

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Absolutely!!!!!---except for facts, and reality, and that silly stuff.

Dude ... slow down and think.

Everyone Here walks, cycles and most of us drive ... and have done so for decades.

And guess what ... the cars around where all of us do those things are the same as the ones which you are telling us are intolerably dangerous.

Don't stress, you are not the first person who was unable to convince others that the Earth is flat ... or that 2+2=5.

First it was bike headlights, then "small-town mentality" (yeah, just like in big towns, small cities, and anywhere else ... people call a jerk, a jerk--not that anyone says that about you.) Then it was streetlights. Then it was light pollution. Now it is car headlights.

When I see someone so eager to fight, I walk away and let them fight with themselves.

Good luck. I hope you win.

By the way ... the freaking Sun is the brightest light in the sky half the day. I cannot even see my bike headlight, or car headlights, and forget about seeing other stars. Can you do something about that?
What is it with mouth breathing, ignorant trolls like yourself? That was a quote from the person who started the petition if you'd bother to read it, you ought to also take a look at the comments. People are getting sick of this nonsense, whether it's administered by a city official, motorist, or cyclist.

The sun is out in the daytime, it's supposed to be dark at night, you idiot. There's a difference between using some simple common sense, and turning night into day with blinding glare everywhere. Can you not grasp that very simple concept?
Old 02-04-18, 01:46 PM
RidesaJapanese

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.ama-assn.org/ama-adopts-...-street-lights

My God, the AMA is a bunch of tinfoil wearing conspiracy nuts!

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/light-pollution

My God, the UK has succumbed to this madness!

Local group heading effort against city's new streetlights / LJWorld.com

Dr. Melott, the nutty professor, graduated with full tin foil honors.

Davis, CA LED Streetlight Retrofit - Smart Outdoor Lighting Alliance

Davis, CA, city of snowflakes. Why not use that tin foil to cover your windows instead?
Old 02-04-18, 06:40 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
What is it with mouth breathing, ignorant trolls like yourself? That was a quote from the person who started the petition if you'd bother to read it, you ought to also take a look at the comments. People are getting sick of this nonsense, whether it's administered by a city official, motorist, or cyclist.

The sun is out in the daytime, it's supposed to be dark at night, you idiot. There's a difference between using some simple common sense, and turning night into day with blinding glare everywhere. Can you not grasp that very simple concept?
Hard to imagine why you get so little support for your cause.
Old 02-04-18, 08:13 PM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Thank you for your support. Light pollution is certainly bad on many levels, we need all the activists we can get. Maybe you could write to the local paper, or talk to the people with the lights and suggest they save energy by using motion sensors? Last week I talked to a neighbor north of me, he was leaving on a light on the back of his house from dusk to dawn that was as bad as any streetlight, he has since left it off and said he wants to be a good neighbor.

I just posted a petition (not mine) to ban LED headlights, the comments are well worth reading, some even specifically mention bicycle lights. There is a lot of frustration being wrought by this dangerous LED revolution, and it's equally frustrating when people act like you're a conspiracy theorist or something.
I am considering writing some letters to these offenders suggesting motion lights if they have to have some kind of security light, dim it, and/or aim it down. I signed the petition too as there are allot of offenders on the road. I do use bike lights but make sure to keep them aimed down to not interfere with other road users or pedestrians on bike paths. I commute most of my miles at night.
Old 02-05-18, 02:21 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
There are streets here I won't cycle or drive on, because it means running a gauntlet of unshielded LED glare bombs, horizontally mounted on the sides of buildings instead of directed downward. Many urban areas are far worse, drivers and cyclists are subjected to a sea of unshielded street lights, "insecurity" lights glaring out off the sides of buildings, LED billboards, headlights, the occasional emergency vehicle LED strobes, I could see even the most well lit bike not being noticed in all that light clutter.
Just wear your sunglasses at night? I loved that song. Full of awesomeness. This is a BIKE forum, start there. Unless you're advocating for less street light for my safety when pedaling home. I run 8-10 lights on my bike, so awesome. bar light, blinky too, helmet light, wheel lights 3 blinkies on the back. My fav? A night strand of small battery op x mas light on my bike frame. I want to take away the saying" I didn't see you" from drivers. 12-1,500 lumens of the front is just about right. Might be 10% of a car. Very urban, suburban night commutes for me. Also need MORRR power for fast descents and bad weather light rain/fog/snow.
Old 02-05-18, 02:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
As mentioned earlier, there is a chunk of a median strip bike path with low light poles and traffic on both sides that just has too many lights to clearly see other trail users.

Yesterday, on another path, it was mostly off-street, but went parallel to a street for a bit. Two oncoming vehicles blasted me with their high beams, just as I passed a pedestrian with dark clothes and no lights. Whew, good think the pedestrian was to the left and I was to the right.
Old 02-05-18, 02:34 PM
CliffordK

A few years ago, I had a bus ride at night in central Egypt. Perhaps the perfect place for the OP.

Once one gets away from the river Nile, and away from the cities, there is just nothing but sand.

Vehicles do mostly use lights... I think. However, when passing another vehicle, it is common courtesy to turn off the headlights and just pass with the yellow clearance lights to not blind oncoming vehicles.
Old 02-05-18, 06:57 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
For cyclist riding at night, it is easy to solve the problem of bright lights from other cyclist and motorist, simply wear a helmet with a visor or a cycle/ballcap. Just move your head and you can block out the oncoming light and still see the road/trail

The lights Ridesajapaneze has posted and claimed are dangerous have never been an issue for me when cycling at night.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
... On a short segment of darkened bikepath I am occasionally blinded by oncoming cyclists with headlights suitable for riding a mountain bike trail in total darkness. My pupils are already dilated from the darkness of the MUP, exaggerating the danger of the glare....
I have previously replied to a thread, “Photochromic sunglasses – thoughts?”
I don't like them, and I wear my non-tinted glasses when riding in bright sunlight. I never wore sunglasses anyways before I got them. I find they diminish contrast on bright days. In particular when riding into the sun, I especially lose contrast when looking into my rearview mirror. I think it's because my pupils constrict even with the photochromes on, yet the lenses are already darkened.

My preference is for a billed baseball cap under my helmet [to block out the sun].
I think using a similar strategy at night would be much more difficult. Probably one’s pupils may already be constricted from the oncoming glare. I find I am just looking at a small field ahead to assess the road surface to avoid irregularities that might be fine surface details, like cracks, or the MUP edge.

In the bright sunlight of day by shielding in my eyes with a visor, I’m looking at a wide field for big structures, like cars. I don’t bother with a billed cap at night, but try to look away to the right from the oncoming lights, as I might when driving a car. FWIW.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-05-18 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 07:34 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
I have previously replied to a thread, “Photochromic sunglasses – thoughts?” I think using a similar strategy at night would be much more difficult. Probably one’s pupils may already be constricted from the oncoming glare, I imagine you are just looking at a small field to assess the road surface to avoid irregularities that might be fine details, like cracks. In the bright sunlight of day by shielding in my eyes with a visor, I’m looking at a wide field for big structures, like cars. I don’t bother with a billed cap at night. FWIW.
I have found that it has NOT been difficult at all for me, and has worked extremely well. If small cracks in the road are a serious hazard for someone at night, then adjust the angle of the visor with your head to block the oncoming lights while still being able to see out 20 feet in front of you tires. Someone with that problem might also mostly stick to the roads that they ride on a regular basis and they already know where the irregularities are in that road.
Old 02-05-18, 09:52 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Depending on the slope of the road, (both longitudinal and lateral) the width of the road, and ambient lighting, even dim headlights can be blinding---if one looks at them.

I did the majority of my night commuting between 1986 and 2002, but the majority of my riding nowadays is also at night--the problem has Not gotten appreciably worse with brighter car headlights. The old yellowish sealed-beam units were plenty bright enough to make it hard to see the road 30 years ago.

I learned not to look at them.

I learned to duck my head and to track the far right edge of the pavement just far enough ahead to ride safely---and to slow a bit if necessary, but it almost never is---and to use this amazing human brain people boast about in another thread to manage my environment.

Is it optimal? Surely not. However, so long as we have mixed-use roads, it will never be optimal for cars, trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, farm equipment .... all the various vehicles which can and must use the roads to move around.

I hate to be harsh, but if folks can't hack it, they should park it.

We All have to compromise.

If energy were not an issue, we could light every road like daylight all day and night .... but I happen to like being able to see the stars, and also, energy is not free.

If space were not an issue, we could have separate roadways for each vehicle type. I guarantee you that semi drivers and auto-pilots would vastly prefer not to have to deal with each other, or with cyclists. And I Know cyclists would love to never have to joust with motorized vehicles.

Of course, building and maintaining four times the roadway is simply not feasible right now ... so no point in worrying about that.

I keep coming back to the question .... how do we describe issues even less important than "first-world problems"?

I was going to try to get some insight on this whole bike-light matter from the orphaned child of some Chinese couple who had been tortured to death for their spiritual beliefs, but the selfish kid was too busy picking through a trash heap looking for scraps of food to even listen to my questions.

That's what's wrong with the world, eh? Starving kids are so selfish, they never want to help others.
Old 02-05-18, 10:01 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Old 02-06-18, 06:26 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
For cyclist riding at night, it is easy to solve the problem of bright lights from other cyclist and motorist, simply wear a helmet with a visor or a cycle/ball cap. Just move your head and you can block out the oncoming light and still see the road/trail.

If you mount your light on your helmet, you can even direct your light to where you need it most at that moment. It even works great for motorist that insist on keeping their brights on; just sweep your light across their windshield and they get the idea to turn off the brights pretty quick.
...I don’t bother with a billed cap at night, but try to look away to the right from the oncoming lights [and slow down], as I might when driving a car. FWIW.
I have found that it has NOT been difficult at all for me, and has worked extremely well. If small cracks in the road are a serious hazard for someone at night, then adjust the angle of the visor with your head to block the oncoming lights while still being able to see out 20 feet in front of you tires. Someone with that problem might also mostly stick to the roads that they ride on a regular basis and they already know where the irregularities are in that road.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
… ambient lighting, even dim headlights can be blinding---if one looks at them….I learned not to look at them.

I learned to duck my head and to track the far right edge of the pavement just far enough ahead to ride safely---and to slow a bit if necessary, but it almost never is---and to use this amazing human brain people boast about in another thread to manage my environment….
Thanks for your reply, @CB HI. I find these encounters with obscuring headlights are usually brief. As I imagine adjusting my head position to avoid the light, and get a fix on my line of travel, that seems to be a complex maneuver to be performed quickly.

Sometimes I do wear my visor in the early morning anticipating dawn's early (bright) light, so maybe I'll give it a try. I have tried waving my hand back and forth across my beam to signal the oncoming car/bike to dim their lights, but usually to no avail.
...I once made a remark and received an unintelligible, but seemingly hostile reply...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-06-18 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-06-18, 09:24 AM
Maelochs

I want to clarify ... I am not saying car headlights are not an issue. I am saying that claims that they are now incredibly more dangerous and damaging and potentially lethal that they ever were .... flies in the face of reality.

I have this major shortcoming--I tend to get angry when people tell me, "Don't believe your lying eyes, believe my lies." I don't depend on others to validate my life experiences, but i do get upset when people deny my experiences and try to force their own inaccurate interpretations on me---because so far, no one who has ever tried that has been trying to do me good, or trying to do serious good at all (something about denying reality not Ever being the best path forward?)

Car headlights, being bright enough to safely illuminate the road far enough a ahead that at reasonable traffic speed, a driver can see an obstacle far enough away that human reaction speed permits a safe response, are simply going to blind anyone up close in the dark by contrast---Jim from Boston's "dilated pupils" are not the result of drug use (I don't think) but a normal physiological reaction.

I doubt phototropic lenses could handle the contrast, the speed of transition, and still retain enough transparency---needing to be very transparent at one edge of the lens (to allow a rider to identify road features) while being nearly opaque at the other edge (to block the car's glare.)

It is Not a "safe" situation.

But ... life is fatal.

I grew up with the mindset that acceptable risk and sensible risk management were how people operated .... nowadays people live in constant fear it seems .... and we still have 30-40K killed by guns and cars every year.

I grew up when reasonable risk, sensible risk management and personal responsibility were the legs of the tripod of daily living. Don't point the gun at yourself or others unless you Just fully unloaded it. Don't drive like Speed Racer on public roads. Don't expect cars to see you or make room for you--Make Sure they see you. And (I know this sounds really painful ... ) Slow Down a few mph if need be.

As Jim from Boston said, it is exactly what sensible drivers do when sensibly driving their cars. Adjust to prevailing conditions.

Yeah, I hate headlights---there is a curve near where I live, a slight uphill right heading out from home, so when cars come around their lights flash over the far side of the road until Bang, they stab me right in the eyes, because they are eye-level and I am on a very narrow road with no safe verge, lots of random debris and broken pavement, and often traffic both ways.

The only response is to slow a little, take more of the lane---if there is room, because cars catch up fast there--and then sort of wing it around the corner. Not safe. That is one part of the road where on the approach I have pulled over to let several cars pass because I hate having a long, impatient line behind me--there is always At least one complete idiot---even though there is no "safe" place to pull off once I enter the chute (so to speak.)

There is No good "compromise" through there. It is never completely safe in traffic in the dark.

On the other hand, I have always manged it with relative ease .... and a little unease, but still, never even a close call at night. (During the day I have had cars pull into oncoming traffic to race me to the sop sign and then cut back in front of me.)

It is not the intensity of LED lights at fault here, it is the reality that there are not enough people riding bikes to make a cycling roadway economically feasible. it might thrill me when I rode it but it would piss me off when the budget which went into the bike highway meant fewer fire men and my house burned down.

I just didn't mean to come of quite as harsh as I might have ... but there is no way I an ever going to apologize on the internet.

Be well.
Old 02-06-18, 11:15 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I think the increasing number of people in the world with eye problems has something to do with increasing brightness of living in modern world. harm our eyes. Too late for some of us though.
That is some compelling evidence.

Any chance that spending hours staring at a screen and not blinking could be a factor?

Yet again, we have a someone saying "I don't like this so i will invent a reason not to like it" and then trying to present that imagination as reality.

How do you feel about vaccination?
Old 02-06-18, 02:20 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
A few years ago, I had a bus ride at night in central Egypt. Perhaps the perfect place for the OP.
Or North Korea.

Old 02-06-18, 03:05 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Or North Korea.
An Astronomer's Paradise!!!
Old 02-06-18, 03:21 PM
Milton Keynes

An Astronomer's Paradise!!!
I wouldn't call North Korea any kind of paradise. I can find other dark places on the planet without worrying about being thrown in a gulag or being publicly executed with an antiaircraft gun.
Old 02-06-18, 03:54 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I wouldn't call North Korea any kind of paradise. I can find other dark places on the planet without worrying about being thrown in a gulag or being publicly executed with an antiaircraft gun.
Yeah... so much better to be strapped to a table for public execution by injection in the USA.
Old 02-06-18, 04:28 PM
Milton Keynes

Yeah... so much better to be strapped to a table for public execution by injection in the USA.
But at least if you're executed here you're executed for your crimes. Unlike in NK where you can be sent to prison because your uncle's second cousin on his grandma's side said something the current regime didn't like.

And being put to sleep by a needle in the arm is a much better way to die than being eaten alive by a pack of hungry dogs.
Old 02-06-18, 04:42 PM
Maelochs

Dead is dead .... but North Korea is one of the few places on the planet where most of the inhabitants might rather be dead than have t starve almost to death every day so the Fat Grandson of the fearless leader can afford stupid haircuts and weak missiles.

North Korea .... go to jail because you can't work hard enough because you have only had two handfuls of grass all day ... or maybe dared to point out that you could work as hard as you were supposed to if you were fed at all.

Simply no valid comparisons. The prisoners in the worst jails in the U.S. have more amenities, better food, and way better health care than the vastest majority of North Koreans.

Dude .... look at the two photos from this "Bike North korea" website and tell me you are signing up for their next trip.

https://www.north-korea-travel.com/c...rth-korea.html

And doesn't this sound inviting: "North Korea has installed cycle lanes on major thoroughfares in Pyongyang in an apparent bid to cut down on pedestrian accidents, as more residents are able to afford to buy bicycles.

"Bicycles are an expensive but increasingly popular mode of transport for many in the country where private car ownership, although on the rise, is still rare.

"They are often used by women to transport goods to semi-tolerated markets, where one of the most common services is bicycle repair." https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lane-pyongyang

But ... there are No bikes in the picture whatsoever. And with bike repair being the big industry ... one has to figure all the bikes in North Korea are left over from before the war.

And check out who else rides bikes ijnn North korea:

"Exploring the mysterious nation of North Korea just got a lot easier -- at least if you're Chinese.
A new scheme has been announced that provides Chinese citizens with an (almost) hassle-free visa to North Korea within a day, specifically for cycling day trips.
The trip, including the visa, costs around $50.
Some 35 Chinese tourists embarked on the first short cycling tour on May 2.
They cycled across the border from Tumen, in the northeast of China, and visited Nanyang City in North Korea before returning to China the same day.
The group visited Nanyang train station, the Korean War Hero Martyrs Monument, a portrait of Kim Il Sung, The Tower of Immortality, attended a show and sampled local snacks from a small farm market behind Nanyang International Hotel.
That hotel is where Kim Il Sung reportedly met Zhou Baozhong, a famous Chinese World War II general.
The first trip took a little more than three hours.
Zhao Xin, one of the cyclists on the trip, told Xinhua, China's state news agency, "In North Korea, the food was pollution-free: vegetables, fish, eggs, they all tasted not bad. We had no worries eating there." https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/c...rea/index.html

So ... no bike stores, and the food is "not bad" compared to the food of people who eat pollution.

Yahooo.
Old 02-07-18, 09:48 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...er-led-lights/

I'm a cyclist, I'm also a Dark Sky activist. This article isn't from the stance of a cager, but vehicle LED glare bomb head lights, and roadside LED glare bomb insecurity lighting are just as bad as anything we could deliver. Driving at night even in rural areas is now an ordeal. I use minimal night lighting, and I could definitely see a cyclist being lit up to where you'd want to run them off the road just as you'd want to run a coal rolling truck off the road, grab the driver by his redneck scruff, and shove his face in that headlight.

I have made a lot of local noise about insecurity lighting, the local paper is publishing my letters, and the town is wanting to run me out. I hounded the state representative to address a light trespass issue here that made me enemies when all I ever did was appeal to common courtesy. You can learn of my crusade if you go to my FB group LED's: The Sun of Hell, it's resource rich if you want to learn about light pollution and the many ills thereof.

I'm about the only regular cyclist in this town, and I've been accused of endangering my child for her being in a Burley trailer. So I have conceived a way to make my message seen since they refuse to hear. Riding all over at night in a bike weaponized with light, just as vehicles and streetlights and exterior lights have been weaponized to assault our retinas, our circadian rhythms, and our night skies.

What's sad is they wouldn't see the light as the problem, but cyclists.
Your last statement is a common problem. That all cyclists' have to deal with.