Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Friday Feb 9 2018 - International Winter Bike to Work Day

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-18, 07:36 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts

https://winterbiketoworkday.org/

Someone who doesn't winter bike on a regular basis (or at all) isn't about to haul out their old ten speed, strap the briefcase on the back and head off to the accounting office... not around here in Winter anyways. Yet, these types of organizations are making a positive attempt to get people out pedaling and there's not much harm in that.
Old 02-07-18, 07:08 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
My city (Novi Sad) is leading at the moment.

https://winterbiketoworkday.org/score/

Though I think, in order for it to be fair, they should divide the number of cyclist with the average temperature in Kelvin scale. Since this winter is among the warmest I remember - practically no snow. Feels like cheating.
Old 02-07-18, 08:54 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
...and there's not much harm in that.
It depends where one lives and the weather. In many northern cities an unprepared rider can suffer frostbite, or slip and fall, or slip and fall in traffic. Then there's the ride home which will probable be after sunset, so an unlit, under-reflected bike may be invisible.

Proper clothing and gear makes winter riding safe and enjoyable. Lack of gear, undrdressing (or over dressing) can make it dangerous.
Old 02-07-18, 03:30 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It's not happening here. Today school was canceled for snow and they expect it to start up again Thursday night and continue thru Saturday. I would love to ride but people weren't even driving this morning.
Old 02-08-18, 07:17 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Ironic, since I do it probably 90% of the time, but forecast calling for 5-10 cm of snow during the day which will make it an impossible ride home. So I'll be driving.
Old 02-08-18, 08:49 AM
55murray

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
It depends where one lives and the weather. In many northern cities an unprepared rider can suffer frostbite, or slip and fall, or slip and fall in traffic. Then there's the ride home which will probable be after sunset, so an unlit, under-reflected bike may be invisible.

Proper clothing and gear makes winter riding safe and enjoyable. Lack of gear, undrdressing (or over dressing) can make it dangerous.
This, every word. Stick to the bike to work days in May to pull people toward commuting...
Old 02-08-18, 12:48 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
My LBS (well, the one near my house) is actually having an event this year for Winter Bike to Work Day!

I've been spamming this event all over the place for the last few years, but nobody was too interested until fatbikes became ubiquitous.
Old 02-08-18, 01:44 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by wipekitty
My LBS (well, the one near my house) is actually having an event this year for Winter Bike to Work Day!

I've been spamming this event all over the place for the last few years, but nobody was too interested until fatbikes became ubiquitous.
Yes, the local Costco carries them now, for $500. Now everyone going to be ridin'em.
Old 02-08-18, 05:06 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Winter Storm Warning
Northern Indiana
WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM EST /8 PM CST/ THIS EVENING TO MIDNIGHT EST /11 PM CST/ FRIDAY NIGHT ... Total snow accumulations of 8 to 12 inches are expected ...

No biking to work for me.
Old 02-08-18, 06:52 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by baldilocks
Winter Storm Warning
Northern Indiana
WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM EST /8 PM CST/ THIS EVENING TO MIDNIGHT EST /11 PM CST/ FRIDAY NIGHT ... Total snow accumulations of 8 to 12 inches are expected ...

No biking to work for me.
If you had a fat bike you could

If my commute was substantially shorter than 20 km, say like 10 km, I might think about getting one. But the prospect of trudging through thick snow for possibly two hours does not fill me with joy, at all.
Old 02-08-18, 09:25 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Ironic, since I do it probably 90% of the time, but forecast calling for 5-10 cm of snow during the day which will make it an impossible ride home. So I'll be driving.
Unfortunately for me, my winter commuting is sporadic due to my workload (which I enjoy). It's often more efficient to stay overnight at work, save commuting time, and be at my desk at 5 AM when I’m at my energy peak; most of my work is solo anyways. I rode my 14 mile route earlier this week, and am staying over tonight, so though I technically rode to work, I won’t ride tomorrow, February 9.

So don’t be morose, @mcours;, I read and enjoy your posts whenever I encounter them. An admirable New York commuter is also taking a break.
Originally Posted by Ferdinand NYC
On the way into work last Friday, I had finally had enough. I did not complete my ride; instead, I rode over to the subway and got on.

After seven winters of near-daily bike riding, I think that I might have almost run out of tolerance for the cold. The freezing riding is starting to get to me; so perhaps I won't ride so much this month. As a result, this year I probably won't hit ten thousand kilometres or six thousand miles; but, having achieved that distinction three times, maybe I have earned the right to ease up a bit…

Not only had I not ridden in the cold before, I had in fact never before even been outside in the cold so much!…But I put up with riding in the winter for seven years. I am proud of that; but my will to deal with it is, as we say in Esperanto, elĉerpita.

So I am taking it easy this February. I will miss the daily riding. But I will not miss the constant extra wind of 10 to 20 miles per hour that riding generates, a wind that makes every cold day that much more miserable. Nor will I miss the elaborate dressing ritual that is meant to protect me from the cold, but in the end can do nothing about my hands and my face.
One of my favorite aspects of the winter commute is the problem solving to face the challenges. One of the most enthusiastic posts I have read about winter commuting is:
Originally Posted by HypnoToad
I made the transition from daily, year-round bike commuter to a home office last year. It has been an interesting challenge. I miss my daily commutes, funny as it will sound to many, I miss the rainy rides, the dark sub-zero mornings, and all the challenges that come with bike commuting
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Nicely said; spoken like a true cycle-commuter.
… I have extracted this slogan [about winter cycling] from a post by @scoatw of Ohio, "Gear and gumption." Always on bad weather days someone at work will ask me,"You didn't ride your bicycle today, did you?."

When it’s really bad out, my wife will chide me, You just want to ride your bike today, so you can write about it to Bike Forums."
Finally to the naysayers,
Originally Posted by BobbyG

Proper clothing and gear makes winter riding safe and enjoyable. Lack of gear, undrdressing (or over dressing) can make it dangerous
Originally Posted by 55murray
This,every word. Stick to the bike to work days in May to pull people toward commuting...
In reply to the thread, When does Hardcore become Stupid, StephenH wrote,
Originally Posted by StephenH
…When Hardcore becomes stupid is when it becomes dangerous...

In each case, it's not just the weather that makes it hardcore or stupid, it's the degree of preparation and knowledge used in dealing with the weather.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-09-18 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-08-18, 10:07 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
Signed up, committed, and it looks like there's an event on my route.
Old 02-09-18, 06:50 AM
mcours2006

So don’t be morose, @mcours;, I read and enjoy your posts whenever I encounter them. An admirable New York commuter is also taking a break.[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]One of my favorite aspects of the winter commute is the problem solving to face the challenges.
Thanks for that, Jim

What do you know though, I did ride in today, but I have a Plan B and C for the trip home when there will be 5-10 cm of snow on the ground. I'll let you know how it goes in about ten hours.
Old 02-09-18, 09:57 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
So don’t be morose, mcours, I read and enjoy your posts whenever I encounter them.
Thanks for that, Jim

What do you know though, I did ride in today, but I have a Plan B and C for the trip home when there will be 5-10 cm of snow on the ground. I'll letyou know how it goes in about ten hours
Thanks for your reply mcours. After I posted, I thought it might be too …treacly…,but I did have in mind your recent thread, “Winter wearing me down..”.
..and we're just about half way through.

The constant threat of snow, extreme cold temperatures, and nasty NW wind is making bike commuting very dreadfully difficult and stressful. I've run out of chemical warmers for my toes. I had to pick up an extra set of studded tires…And I'm just tired of riding on studs.

I just picked up a pair of winter cyclingboots to help with the cold toes. The battery on my lights and camera don'tlast too long because of the extreme cold. I hate having to wear goggles. I'mhaving to spray down/dry/lube my bike multiple times a week.

This has been a bad winter so far.

Just wanted to rant a bit. Carry on.
Similar to complaints expressed by Ferdinand NYC, "a bit of a pause."
Originally Posted by Ferdinand NYC
…After seven winters of near-daily bike riding, I think that I might have almost run out of tolerance for the cold. The freezing riding is starting to get to me; so perhaps I won't ride so much this month…

So I am taking it easy this February. I will miss the daily riding. But I will not miss the constant extra wind of 10to 20 miles per hour that riding generates, a wind that makes every cold daythat much more miserable.

Nor will I miss the elaborate dressing ritual that is meant to protect me from the cold, but in the end can do nothing about my hands and my face…

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-09-18 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 04:42 PM
mcours2006

So the snow didn't come until mid afternoon. I was really optimistic about being able to ride home, but decided last minute to implement Plan B. Plan B is running 11.13 miles on snow covered sidewalks. I've done it before, but not at the end of a long day of work.

So after 0.50 km, and seeing how the roads were actually pretty good, despite the light dusting of snow, and how difficult it was to get good traction with my running shoes on the yet-to-be-plowed sidewalks I headed back to work and got on the bike. Well, wouldn't you know it, the streets further north had much more coverage than near my work, and then the snow came down much more heavily.

TLDR, made it home under very difficult and dicey conditions. Not sure if Plan B would have been any better, though.
Old 02-09-18, 10:49 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Stopped by the LBS and picked up some nice Bike to Work schwag...a water bottle (always helpful) full of coupons for stuff from local businesses, like cookies, sandwiches, and beer.

It sounds like they had a pretty decent turnout. The main streets were actually fine, despite snow last night - there's so much brine mix down that it melts pretty much immediately now. The side streets, on the other hand...we'll probably see pavement again sometime in late March or early April.
Old 02-10-18, 05:59 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

I rode yesterday - the snow banks were significant, we had two significant snowfalls this week with a bit of a smattering during the day to make the way home harder than going to work. My route is mostly not too bad, a couple sections of cleared mup, a lot of side streets, but where I was on main streets, the snowbanks were bad enough in a couple sections I abandoned to the sidewalk when I normally wouldn't.

Met someone from envirocentre.ca handing out bike lights and coupons for a coffee.
Old 02-10-18, 06:19 AM
Viich
Hack

Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
https://winterbiketoworkday.org/

Someone who doesn't winter bike on a regular basis (or at all) isn't about to haul out their old ten speed, strap the briefcase on the back and head off to the accounting office... not around here in Winter anyways. Yet, these types of organizations are making a positive attempt to get people out pedaling and there's not much harm in that.
@prairiepedaler, I'm not sure I agree completely. If someone has a BSO with knobbies, and dress like they would to go for a walk of the same duration, they'd be fine. My ride is ~45min in the summer, closer to double that in the winter. I push harder than most people would - if I lived half the distance I do, I'd be much more likely to bike in normal work clothes. For someone to bike 5-10km with their normal wardrobe I wouldn't think is unreasonable.
Old 02-10-18, 08:50 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
TLDR, made it home under very difficult and dicey conditions. Not sure if Plan B would have been any better, though.
We got some very nice snow cover yesterday, too. The roads were constantly plowed down to maybe 2-3 cm of snow stuff. This would have been quite nice and challenging winter biking weather and I currently need to commute more (additional 2x6km a day). But thanks to a lingering flu, I had to stop cycling - plan B is taking the bus to that semi off-transit location . Why do viruses always show up when you don't want them to right now?
Old 02-11-18, 08:09 AM
mcours2006

How about this commute...well, it was a short trip to the library and store, but it was so dicey going on the road that I ended up riding on the sidewalk, which was marginally better.
IMG011.jpg
Old 02-13-18, 12:50 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Novi Sad has won the city "competition" and Serbia - in the country list - is in the 3rd place.

It's a bit funny since I'm sure it boils down to percent of people bothering to register, but it's nicely used by local bike-organizations to popularize cycling and get people to using bikes in stead of cars more.