Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Sweat management

Old 01-04-18, 04:49 PM
maletero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sweat management

Between the last time I was out riding a lot and now, I've somehow lost a bunch of hair.

Besides the aesthetic consequences I've noticed that I've lost some sweat-absorbing capacity (my helmet pads are no match for this sort of volume). I start getting sweat in my eyes pretty early in a ride, and it's not even hot out there, yet! This is not great. Do any of you have similar problems? Is there a better solution than rocking a 1980's style sweat band?

Feels like a weird thing to post, but I'm hoping some of you have solutions.
Old 01-04-18, 05:28 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I had the same problem this summer. Sweat was getting in my eye to the point I couldn't see. I was keeping a paper towel in my jersey pocket to mop, and one water bottle on the bike with just water to splash on my face. Didn't really come up with any real solutions.
Old 01-04-18, 08:03 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Halo II Sweatband
Old 01-04-18, 09:04 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Halo, head sweats, wristbands all work well. Have used all three methods and I prefer a headband. I feel your pain I too am a sweater.
Old 01-04-18, 09:07 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
I use a Headsweats coolmax cap in spring, summer, and fall. (Or a heavier cap for cold weather.) I started wearing it for sun protection on thinning hair. It soaks up quite a lot of sweat on hot days, and warms my head slightly on cool spring or fall days. Now it feels weird to ride without a cap under my helmet.
Old 01-05-18, 12:22 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
I've put vaseline above my eyebrows to try and direct the sheer volume of water. YMMV
Old 01-05-18, 01:02 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
I've tried the Halo (which kind of works, if you put in on just right and hold your head just right) and Sweat Gut'r (which works great if it's centered just right and the angle against your head is just right). But for most of my summer riding, I use two bandannas. Roll one up and tie it on your head; when it starts dripping, wring it out and hang it somewhere on the bike to dry, wipe the glasses with the other one, roll it up and tie it on. By the time the second one is dripping wet, the first is dry again.
Old 01-07-18, 09:58 AM
maletero

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, everybody. I've ordered some helmet liners and Halos.

Interesting so see the Vasaline tip. I've tried something like that and was surprised how well it worked. May have to revisit that and good ol' bandannas.
Old 01-08-18, 05:47 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
the other thing to consider if you have lost a lot of hair is, sunburn on the top of your head. Halo makes a summer skull cap that should address both problems.
Old 01-09-18, 03:04 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
I hang a washcloth on my front bars wedged between a cpl accessories & occasionally grab it to wipe the brow
Old 01-16-18, 08:23 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
I use a Headsweats coolmax cap in spring, summer, and fall. (Or a heavier cap for cold weather.) I started wearing it for sun protection on thinning hair. It soaks up quite a lot of sweat on hot days, and warms my head slightly on cool spring or fall days. Now it feels weird to ride without a cap under my helmet.
+1. I won't ride without a headsweat. It keeps sweat out of my eyes and aids in drawing sweat out for evaporation. They are very comfortable and cover up helmet hair.
Old 01-17-18, 01:43 PM
Fiend606

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maletero
Thanks, everybody. I've ordered some helmet liners and Halos.

Interesting so see the Vasaline tip. I've tried something like that and was surprised how well it worked. May have to revisit that and good ol' bandannas.

Duluth Trading company bandanas worked great for me. I wear them like a pirate.
Old 01-17-18, 01:54 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I have two SweatVac skull caps:

They come in a couple of colors.
Old 01-17-18, 02:41 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Similar to a couple others I've found that a thin breathable cycling cap works best for me. Sweat drips off the bill of the cap, but at least it's not in my eyes. I've tried a few Halo products and they didn't work that well for me. Never tried Gut'r, just looked uncomfortable.

I'm also a bit folicly challenged up top and prone to sunburns through the vents in my helmet. Cap helps prevent that as well in the summer.
Old 01-24-18, 04:12 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I never have a problem with sweat getting in my eyes, but if I ever do I have several do-rags I could put on underneath my helmet.
Old 02-06-18, 01:58 AM
ChuckD6421 

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Major sweater here, and when it gets in my eyes on a high humidity day it nearly blinds me it stings so. Also leaves lots of mineral deposits crusting up my face (usually after an hour or so, an indicator that I need to keep up with the electrolytes).

Sweat GUTR - Great success in the indoor spin sessions where no helmet is needed. But I can't get it to work with a helmet. I like to wear my helmet down on my forehead more. They did have one on the Amazon made just for helmets (hard hats, etc.) but that disappeared. I also just read that the sport version gutter is 7-3/4" (IIRC) while there's another you can request that has a 9" gutter which channels sweat further back from your brow.

Sweat cap (can't remember the brand) - Forget it if you've got a full head of hair, it needs to be as close to the skin as possible. It's like wearing a winter knit cap, totally counterproductive.

20 oz. water bottle of just H2O - The only thing I count on. On longer rides I conserve by injecting in the forward vents of my helmet so it runs down basically where the sweat is. Also (ala The Contador), I'll run it down the back of my head and neck occasionally. I mean look, you're running sweat all over you and the bike anyway, might as well flush the corrosive chemicals out with clean water while you ride.
Old 02-13-18, 03:23 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
I have two SweatVac skull caps:

They come in a couple of colors.

I have a couple of the beanies too - prefer the Sugoi to the Pearl Izumi, but both do the job of absorbing enough sweat that it doesn't get in my eyes.

https://www.backcountry.com/sugoi-co...yABEgLLc_D_BwE
Old 02-17-18, 03:02 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
I wear a buff sometimes. It does well for sweat and also to soak at water fountains and put back on. Ahhh feels so good.
Old 02-18-18, 10:24 PM
bigbiker1

Bikes: 2013 All City Mr. Pink, 2016 Jamis DXT Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for the halo do-rag. I sweat a TON and when I forget my halo do-rag not only does sweat practically blind me my head is MUCH hotter. It significantly reduces the temp of your head under your helmet in the heat.
Old 02-21-18, 08:28 AM
mthorste

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heavy Sweater

As a heavy sweater (especially from my head) I too have been looking for a solution to sweat running into my eyes. I recently bought a HeadSweat from Performance. They have two models and I purchased the cheapest just based on reviews. I live in Florida and it's already in the 80's and my HeadSweat has so far worked flawlessly! I'll be a true believer in the summer when it's in the 90's with high humidity but so far so good!
Old 06-30-18, 10:06 AM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Pesty, This works! Riding with a cycling cap bill down the sweat does drip off the front of the bill. Eureka! Over the past few month I've been experimenting with the skull cap, no bill, and with the traditional cycling cap. Cycling cap is the winner. The only catch is I can't see with the bill down in the drops so I've been flipping up and down as needed. So not prefect, but pretty darn good.
Old 06-30-18, 02:51 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by koolerb
Riding with a cycling cap bill down the sweat does drip off the front of the bill. Eureka! Over the past few month I've been experimenting with the skull cap, no bill, and with the traditional cycling cap. Cycling cap is the winner. The only catch is I can't see with the bill down in the drops so I've been flipping up and down as needed. So not prefect, but pretty darn good.
Same. The cap works well at managing sweat, but the sudden flipping down of the bill is a definite problem. I can't see past the bill on the hoods, much less the drops. I'm thinking a little clip or some Velcro, or something.
Old 06-30-18, 04:46 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 375 Posts
I use Headsweats classics and this: https://www.performancebike.com/shop...adband-10-0005
Old 06-30-18, 08:20 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I have the same problem, and I think my solution is going to be a shemaugh made out of a Cool-it towel from Wally World.
I need to keep the sun off the back of my neck, too.
Old 07-03-18, 09:42 AM
maletero

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Since this thread has recently been brought back from the dead, I'll give an update.

I've mainly been using the Halo skull cap. It has the rubber strip that's supposed to keep the sweat out of your eyes. This does a pretty good job at temps below ~80 degrees and/or rides <20 miles. On longer or hotter rides, I find I need to supplement this with a good ol' bandanna stuffed in my jersey pocket that I take out, as needed.

I also bought one of the cool-max skull cap/helmet liners. It seems to work as well as the Halo, even thought there's no rubber thing. It's a bit bulker, though, so I prefer the Halo.

Thanks for all the feedback. You guys are the best!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.