Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Meridian Trike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Schwinn Meridian Trike

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-17, 09:26 PM
hippiechickkari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn Meridian Trike

I have noticed while riding my Schwinn Meridian tricycle, there is a 'thunk' noise that seems to be coming from the axle. is this a problem I need to be concerned about? Thanks for any help in advance.
Hippiechick Kari
Old 04-24-17, 05:34 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hippiechickkari
I have noticed while riding my Schwinn Meridian tricycle, there is a 'thunk' noise that seems to be coming from the axle. is this a problem I need to be concerned about? Thanks for any help in advance.
Hippiechick Kari
"Thunks" ain't never good.

It's a wally world sold bike, so first I would check that all nuts, bolts,and fittings are tight, and that bearings are adjusted properly. Box stores are not known for bike shop quality assembly. (I could tell you stories like the man who told me his rear wheel was "clunking" Too loose bearing adjustment and absolutely no lubrication of any kind on a brand new bike he had ridden twice for just a short distance)

If you don't know how to do this, ask a knowledgeable friend or ....take it back to the store and tell them you want a replacement.
Old 04-24-17, 10:58 AM
hippiechickkari

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I obtained this item 'used', but not much 'used'. The sprocket already broke once and has been replaced, (but not by Schwinn). Do you think it needs to be taken off and lubricated? I really need and enjoy riding this for exercise.
Thanks in advance,
Kari

P.S. Just a quick update: I reached out to Schwinn. They told me it might be axle not quite lined up properly and sent instructions for fixing that problem. My friend and I did this, and it seems, (after a short spin around the street), that it is 'fixed', at least for now. Thanks for your efforts!!

Last edited by hippiechickkari; 04-24-17 at 01:45 PM. Reason: may have 'fixed' problem
Old 04-24-17, 02:09 PM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hippiechickkari
Thanks for your reply. I obtained this item 'used', but not much 'used'. The sprocket already broke once and has been replaced, (but not by Schwinn). Do you think it needs to be taken off and lubricated? I really need and enjoy riding this for exercise.
Thanks in advance,
Kari

P.S. Just a quick update: I reached out to Schwinn. They told me it might be axle not quite lined up properly and sent instructions for fixing that problem. My friend and I did this, and it seems, (after a short spin around the street), that it is 'fixed', at least for now. Thanks for your efforts!!
When ever I get a bike, old or new, I always check the bearings for lube/adjustment.

Old bikes often have hardened grease and new wally world's sometimes have none at all (as in my first reply), and in my experience, brakes and bearings are frequently out of adjustment. Obviously something was wrong with the sprocket.....defect, assembly, or misuse....and that would raise a red flag for me.

Better if you have a knowledgeable person to assist or guide you but there is enough info on line or in this forum that you might be able to do it yourself. And you learn a new skill.
Old 04-24-17, 02:10 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Good to hear that manufacturer is responsive and helpful.
Old 02-18-18, 01:51 PM
BikeDood53

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I got the same 'thunk' on a Schwinn Meridian.

Last edited by BikeDood53; 12-01-19 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-26-19, 08:08 PM
condor1947

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meridian bearings

The rear axle bearings in a Schwinn Meridian are sealed 17mm x 34mm, marked "6003RS". I found them locally for $5 each. Head bearings are caged, so are crank bearings, front wheel bearings are loose.
Here's a part # cross-ref for the 6003 - https://www.nationalprecision.com/bal...detail/6003-RS
Old 04-27-19, 04:42 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by condor1947
The rear axle bearings in a Schwinn Meridian are sealed 17mm x 34mm, marked "6003RS". I found them locally for $5 each. Head bearings are caged, so are crank bearings, front wheel bearings are loose.
Here's a part # cross-ref for the 6003 - https://www.nationalprecision.com/bal...detail/6003-RS

Linky no worky

Do you mean this

https://www.nationalprecision.com/ba...etail/6003-RS/