Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Got an Ottolock lock

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Got an Ottolock lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 03:58 PM
bikemaster76

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ordered Ottolock from eBay. Will be usefull.
Old 02-17-18, 09:55 AM
transitguy

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Limited, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek 520, Specialized carbon Diverge

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ottolock-related question

Hello,
I'm new to this forum, but I've been following the discussion about the Ottolock with interest. Someone mentioned a tough-to-cut rope, and it reminded me of a German-made lock that I came across recently.
It's called the Tex Lock and it seems to be a multi-layered cable made of fabric and other materials with a mini-U lock for securing the ends. I don't know how much it weighs, but I sent the company an email in order to get that information. Apparently it is brand new and (possibly) fairly tough, but not yet available in the U.S.
Is anyone familiar with this lock?
Old 02-17-18, 10:54 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Tex lock requires a padlock in order to use which can be viewed as advantage or disadvantage depending on the point of view. Some may prefer a keyed lock over combination. On the other hand a padlock represents inefficient use of weight to provide security. For the type of lightened security that either lock can provide I favor the operational solution chosen by Ottolock. I doubt there is a significant security advantage in Tex lock, but it might have some marginally higher resistance to getting cut. Price per what you get is not appealing in the case of Tex lock.
Old 05-28-18, 10:32 AM
tex88

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm considering an OttoLock. I really like the bright green color. But I'm concerned it would attract more attention to MY bike, which is not a good security strategy. Also, a potential thief who hasn't seen an OttoLock yet.. might be curious if he can break it, and go for mine first. Seems like a black OttoLock is safer. Thoughts?
Old 05-29-18, 03:12 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by tex88
I'm considering an OttoLock. I really like the bright green color. But I'm concerned it would attract more attention to MY bike, which is not a good security strategy. Also, a potential thief who hasn't seen an OttoLock yet.. might be curious if he can break it, and go for mine first. Seems like a black OttoLock is safer. Thoughts?
I have one in black just because my bikes black tho. But now you mention it green may be more a warning bike is locked and they look for easier bikes. But other hand this lock is only for short distances and short trips for me.

Old 05-29-18, 04:45 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Originally Posted by tex88
You might look at it in another way. Bright green is a bit unusual for a lock suggesting to the potential thief that the particular lock might not be a run of the mill. It could be that the thief would have a second thought working against that lock as compared to a black one.

Myself I have a bright green one but may main motivation was to stick to a scheme where smaller items that belong to me are in that color so it is to easier for me to fish them out from the surrounding when I take off and need to take the items along. My wife's items are in bright orange for a similar reason.
Old 05-30-18, 06:18 AM
igorek

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2_i
Tex lock requires a padlock in order to use which can be viewed as advantage or disadvantage depending on the point of view. Some may prefer a keyed lock over combination. On the other hand a padlock represents inefficient use of weight to provide security. For the type of lightened security that either lock can provide I favor the operational solution chosen by Ottolock. I doubt there is a significant security advantage in Tex lock, but it might have some marginally higher resistance to getting cut. Price per what you get is not appealing in the case of Tex lock.
Tex lock was cut in 8 seconds

Old 05-30-18, 06:45 AM
2_i 

Originally Posted by igorek
Tex lock was cut in 8 seconds
Ouch! And I own the meager saw in this other demonstration:

but then the one below shows a similar feat on Ottolock and also defeating it with a small cutting wheel and a hammer

Last edited by 2_i; 05-30-18 at 06:55 AM. Reason: more info