Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Semi-autonomous BMW forces close pass of cyclists

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Semi-autonomous BMW forces close pass of cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-17, 07:40 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by salcedo
Jesus, you are a feisty one.
lol.

Firs of all, your question is ill posted because I did read the article, and the articles linked inside the article, and I saw the video referenced in the article of a semi-autonomous car doing a close pass during a test drive. But I'll admit that my memory of the article is a bit fuzzy and I didn't pay too much attention when answering your rhetorical questions. Because what I wanted to do is get an answer.

I'll grant that your memory may be a bit fuzzy. There were no actual cyclists in the subject article, nor a reference to a related video. Perhaps you read a completely different article?

Why am I arguing? Again, because I wanted to understand your point, which you still seem reluctant to make clearly. I don't have a strong opinion about how dangerous are the passes that people on YT label as close passes. That is why I am asking your opinion.
I don't know the YT posts to which you refer, so it's not helpful to even bring them into the discussion, unless you're going to provide relevant links. My position is that the article does not contain a reference to a situation in which blame could be ascribed for the death of a cyclist.

How closely is "that closely"? It depends largely on context. If a compact car passes me very closely at 12mph when I'm riding 10mph, I would feel a lot safer than if a semi doing 65 passed 6 ft away.
You said, "I suspect that sometimes cyclists die due to accidents that could be avoided if cars didn't pass cyclists that closely." Now, you're suggesting that speed and physical size are more important than proximity? I guess I still don't understand what you meant by "that closely". If it's all relative, then, "that closely" doesn't really have any meaning, does it?

Again, your original post was "Death? In a close pass? How did the cyclist die? From fear? From pancreatic cancer? Old age?" But, I'll take it from your new answer that was not the point you were trying to make
The point was, there was no cyclist, and no "close pass", in the article, thus there was no possible way to ascribe any blame. Perhaps you've ignored the context of my original post, and that's what's upsetting you?

Just because a death hasn't occurred yet, doesn't mean that it is too early to speculate about how liability should be assigned. So, let me reformulate the original question.
You can manufacture a scenario, and then try to ascribe liability, based on your fantasy, but that doesn't change the fact that the subject of the thread: the article, does not contain a scenario from which we can extrapolate culpability. As much fun as it may be to go tripping down the yellow brick road, it's not relevant to the discussion at hand.

Consider the following hypothetical scenario. A driver tries to move away from a cyclist while passing without signaling, but the cars semi-autonomous driving systems prevent the driving from allowing sufficient space. The cyclist is clipped by the mirror, falls down and is seriously injured. How should liability be assigned? Is the driver completely liable? Or does BMW share some of the liability?
I don't care. It's not relevant. "Clipped by the mirror" is not a "close pass". And, since you've determined that "that closely" is an arbitrary standard, there is no scenario you can present that can produce a consistent outcome. I can simply say that the pass wasn't "that closely", and we can argue 'round and 'round, 'til the court locks both of us up for wasting its time.
Old 11-17-17, 12:36 PM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lol this is getting too long and childish.

I still think your initial post was completely misguided, and your defensive response to it was simply ridiculous. I think the problem originated because you miss-understood them meaning of the phrase "in this case" in the context of the original question which was "So who would be liable to death of a cyclists in this case? BMW the company or owner of the BMW?"

But I guess I'm being childish too. At some point we need to stop this and move on with our lives.

someones wrong on the internet
Old 11-17-17, 03:27 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
So who would be liable in the death of a cyclist(or cyclists'). Would it be, BMW the company or owner of the BMW?
What about both? BMW for inaccurate technology, and the car owner for improper reliance on the technology.
(I did edit your comment for my answer)
Old 11-17-17, 04:33 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516
What about both? BMW for inaccurate technology, and the car owner for improper reliance on the technology.
(I did edit your comment for my answer)
Not sure about BMW, but Tesla makes it abundantly clear that it accepts no responsibility when the driver chooses to engage their Level 2 Autopilot. Doesn't make it immune from being sued, of course, but they have pretty good protection, I think.
Old 11-17-17, 08:46 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
Not sure about BMW, but Tesla makes it abundantly clear that it accepts no responsibility when the driver chooses to engage their Level 2 Autopilot. Doesn't make it immune from being sued, of course, but they have pretty good protection, I think.
I agree.
Old 01-16-18, 08:47 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I'll play.

The question is nonsensical. The car in question was a Level 2 AV. No way would a Level 2 prevent the driver from allowing sufficient space. There is no point about speculating about an impossible hypothetical. Same with Level 3.

Only with Level 4 is it possible that the car would override the driver's steering inputs. Realistically, I can't imagine anyone will release a Level 4 that will close-pass cyclists, so practically speaking this is probably an impossible hypothetical too.

But if something like that does happen (and there is actually a crash and injury) with a Level 4 or 5 car, certainly the manufacturer would be liable.

Reference: Levels of driving automation

On this point, there is a trade-off to requiring passes of cyclists to be wide, isn't there? If the passing car goes across the double-yellow line, it encroaches on the traffic going in the opposing direction. Ok for the cyclist, but it imposes a new hazard, unless mitigated. And if the cyclist is not as far right as practicable or there is a lot of damage and debris on the right side of the road there will either be no passing of cycles or drivers will take chances, either encroaching on the cyclist or encroaching on the opposing traffic.
Old 01-16-18, 09:08 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'll play.

The question is nonsensical. The car in question was a Level 2 AV. No way would a Level 2 prevent the driver from allowing sufficient space. There is no point about speculating about an impossible hypothetical. Same with Level 3.

Only with Level 4 is it possible that the car would override the driver's steering inputs. Realistically, I can't imagine anyone will release a Level 4 that will close-pass cyclists, so practically speaking this is probably an impossible hypothetical too.

But if something like that does happen (and there is actually a crash and injury) with a Level 4 or 5 car, certainly the manufacturer would be liable.

Reference: Levels of driving automation
Google ‘hypothetical’.
Old 01-16-18, 09:59 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
On this point, there is a trade-off to requiring passes of cyclists to be wide, isn't there? If the passing car goes across the double-yellow line, it encroaches on the traffic going in the opposing direction. Ok for the cyclist, but it imposes a new hazard, unless mitigated. And if the cyclist is not as far right as practicable or there is a lot of damage and debris on the right side of the road there will either be no passing of cycles or drivers will take chances, either encroaching on the cyclist or encroaching on the opposing traffic.
False dichotomy alert. There is a third option: slow down and wait!!!
Old 01-16-18, 10:00 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Google ‘hypothetical’.

???

noun
a hypothetical proposition or statement.
"Finn talked in hypotheticals, tossing what-if scenarios to Rosen"
Old 01-16-18, 11:19 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That’s the definition, now try to understand it. Your response above to the hypothetical scenario lacked that.
Old 01-16-18, 11:45 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
That’s the definition, now try to understand it. Your response above to the hypothetical scenario lacked that.
My response: "There is no point about speculating about an impossible hypothetical."

In other words, if the hypothetical scenario is unrealistic, what's the point in speculating that it might happen?

How is that misunderstanding "hypothetical"?

Last edited by Ninety5rpm; 01-17-18 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-17-18, 03:50 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
As far as danger to cyclists... I consider any close pass where I don't get hit safe enough.

However, laws vary from state to state, often defining 3 to 5 feet minimum passing distance. Did BMW forget to program that into their cars? Especially considering laws vary from state to state.

Hopefully they did program in automatic brakes, so if I'm "taking the lane" at 3 MPH with my cargo bike, I'll get a long line of BMW's patiently following me.

BMW.jpg

Part of the reason for a buffer is that it is awfully easy to swerve just a little bit with a bike. Pedestrians, of course, can be unpredictable too. However, two things occur with bicycles. First of all, they're subject to many road obstructions that are often unseen by drivers. Second, a small swerve is often amplified. So one can accidentally swerve by 3 feet or so, perhaps even more. That may be in part due to essentially counter-steering to recover.

This, however, seems to be a HUGE OVERSIGHT by BMW. Mom's Prius has beepers for lane drifting. They can be most annoying. And, if one gets too many reminders, it pops up with a Coffee Cup suggestion. Nonetheless, annoying or not, the subtle reminders to hold one's lane can be a good thing.

What I've decided, however, is that not all "drifting" is in fact bad.

Obviously it should be done safely. But, there are instances where one may slightly cut a corner.

The bicycle might be one instance where one would at least put one's left wheel on the center line.

If it is a multi-lane road, then all other vehicles (either direction) should also naturally compensate some. And doing so becomes very natural for drivers. So, oncoming traffic might put their right tire on the fog line, or even cross the fog line slightly.

Drive with the flow of traffic, not based on little white lines painted on the road.

Hopefully if a Semi Truck starts drifting towards a BMW, it will get out of the way, rather than insisting it is RIGHT to stay in its own lane. Stand one's ground!!
Old 01-17-18, 12:48 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Lane assist is not autonomous driving. It is drivers assistance. It is there to keep the driver from drifting out of lane causing a wreck.

Use the blinker, or turn the system off. I'd be shocked if the system allowed a close pass at any sort of speed anyhow, collision avoidance shouldn't allow it.
Old 01-17-18, 04:40 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Lane assist is not autonomous driving. It is drivers assistance. It is there to keep the driver from drifting out of lane causing a wreck.

Use the blinker, or turn the system off. I'd be shocked if the system allowed a close pass at any sort of speed anyhow, collision avoidance shouldn't allow it.
True, but I think there is both safe, and unsafe drifting associated with driving, and not all of it truly requires blinkers.

Forcing a single solution in all driving situations is incorrect.
Old 01-19-18, 05:13 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by kevindsingleton
Death? In a close pass? How did the cyclist die? From fear? From pancreatic cancer? Old age?
This sounds like BMW forgot to consider cyclists when designing or "training" its semi-autonomous software. This is a big omission in a country like the UK with so many car-bicycle interactions
It would seem prudent to allow a little extra room for the cyclist possibly needing to veer to avoid a road hazard. In Illinois, State law requires motorists to give at least three feet of clearance when passing in recognition of this possibility.

I wonder if autonomous or semi-autonomous systems are designed with this in mind.
Steve
Old 01-19-18, 07:38 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
It would seem prudent to allow a little extra room for the cyclist possibly needing to veer to avoid a road hazard. In Illinois, State law requires motorists to give at least three feet of clearance when passing in recognition of this possibility.

I wonder if autonomous or semi-autonomous systems are designed with this in mind.
Steve
Yes, of course they are.
Old 01-19-18, 09:50 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Yes, of course they are.
@CliffordK said it better (#38) than I did.
Steve
Old 01-25-18, 02:52 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I'm never driven in California. But I have driven in places where people don't signal because it makes it harder to switch lanes.

That is a symptom of a bad driving culture.
Dallas, TX is like that. You use your turn signal to change lanes and other drivers see it as a challenge.
Old 01-28-18, 09:49 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Modern cars have sophisticated controls built into the vehicular computer. The manufacturer has to choose which settings should be the defaults when the vehicle is delivered to the customer. The BMW is shipped with settings that emulate the "classic BMW driving experience." This includes both the "buzz cyclists" and "frighten your passengers" modes. To disable these, you have to go into the Control Panel, "Advanced Settings," and "Driver Entitlement Modes."
Old 01-28-18, 12:48 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Dallas, TX is like that. You use your turn signal to change lanes and other drivers see it as a challenge.
I've seen this many times and have never understood the behaviour. What I do know is that karma will eventually catch up to the "me first" drivers.
Old 01-31-18, 08:53 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
True, but I think there is both safe, and unsafe drifting associated with driving, and not all of it truly requires blinkers.

Forcing a single solution in all driving situations is incorrect.
Blinkers at least signal intent... lane drift without intention is a collision about to happen.
Old 01-31-18, 09:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
I've seen this many times and have never understood the behaviour. What I do know is that karma will eventually catch up to the "me first" drivers.
I saw a case of instant karma on this score. I had plenty of room to merge in front of someone and they sped up to keep me from doing it, but I had already gotten in front of them. So on the next block, the driver tried to put me on the sidewalk. Unfortunately for him, the car behind me was a cop.

My car has what's called "lane keeper assistant" if you change lanes, it will fight you unless you have the blinker on. But it lets you change lanes.

Nissan autonomous car recognizes cyclist and still doesn't give enough room
"Tetsuya Iijima, global head of autonomous drive development at Nissan, is behind the wheel, but fails to over-ride the car and move out either" Video: Nissan driverless car in cyclist close pass | road.cc
That's why the autonomous car motto should be "autonomous cars, u gonna die"
Old 01-31-18, 11:16 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I saw a case of instant karma on this score. I had plenty of room to merge in front of someone and they sped up to keep me from doing it, but I had already gotten in front of them. So on the next block, the driver tried to put me on the sidewalk. Unfortunately for him, the car behind me was a cop.

My car has what's called "lane keeper assistant" if you change lanes, it will fight you unless you have the blinker on. But it lets you change lanes.

Nissan autonomous car recognizes cyclist and still doesn't give enough room https://twitter.com/Korben/status/837990377097428992
"Tetsuya Iijima, global head of autonomous drive development at Nissan, is behind the wheel, but fails to over-ride the car and move out either" Video: Nissan driverless car in cyclist close pass | road.cc
That's why the autonomous car motto should be "autonomous cars, u gonna die"
Really? You draw that conclusion from a single event among thousands of safe passes of cyclists by AVs, during a beta test of a Nissan AV from almost a year ago?
Old 01-31-18, 11:56 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Really? You draw that conclusion from a single event among thousands of safe passes of cyclists by AVs, during a beta test of a Nissan AV from almost a year ago?
Why not?

Don't you do the same hyping routine with every optimistic (only optimistic!) press release you can find on the Internet that you can spin into your fanciful predictions about the imminent arrival of inexpensive driver less vehicles available for safely transporting passengers at bargain prices, presumably all the while making profits for the organizations producing, owning and/or operating these miracle vehicles?
Old 01-31-18, 12:06 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Why not?

Don't you do the same hyping routine with every optimistic (only optimistic!) press release you can find on the Internet that you can spin into your fanciful predictions about the imminent arrival of inexpensive driver less vehicles available for safely transporting passengers at bargain prices, presumably all the while making profits for the organizations producing, owning and/or operating these miracle vehicles?
No, I don't do the same.

And even if I did...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.