Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

At what temp does a water bottle freeze up?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-17, 07:39 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts

was wondering the other night, riding in 30 degrees, at what temp will a regular water bottle freeze up after only 30 minutes of riding? I'm guessing 17 degrees
Old 11-17-17, 09:28 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
was wondering the other night, riding in 30 degrees, at what temp will a regular water bottle freeze up after only 30 minutes of riding? I'm guessing 17 degrees
It depends on a number of factors: the amount of water in the bottle, whether the bottle is sitting still or being shaken, how you define "freezing up", local water quality, etc.

All parts of the bottle aren't equal. A partially full bottle is going to splash water on the valve and it will freeze to the point where you can't get it to flow. (I'm talking traditional water bottle here. Camelbak bottles might not freeze the valve as quickly because of the structure of the valve.) If you can't use it, I would consider that to be frozen. Same thing if you have a shell of frozen water around a core of liquid water.

If the bottle is only partially full, it will freeze faster than a full bottle...less mass of water freezes faster. If the water is mixing, it will probably freeze a little faster than water that is static. Ice can insulate a little so water in a static bottle will take longer to freeze all the way through than if you are mixing the cold outer layers with the warmer inner bulk of water...it's called heat transport.

And, finally, there is a some impact on the freezing point if the water contains dissolved salts. Those actually lower the freezing point slightly so that the water takes a little longer to freeze. The impact of the dissolved salts is going to be minimal, however. At best, it will be tenths of a degree.

And before you start adding stuff to the water to depress the freezing point, be aware that it takes a bucket load of what every you want to put into it to keep it from freezing...depending on how low you want to go. Alcohol will work but you'd have to have enough in there to give you a massive hangover before it would depress the freezing point significantly. You'd also need more as the temperature drops. Salt will work also but, again, you'd need enough to make it either unpalatable or dangerous to drink or both. Same with sugar.

Basically, you can't adulterate water to get it to a suitable freezing point to keep it from freezing without causing other problem. It's better to insulate it and/or carry a larger mass of it so that it doesn't freeze as quickly. I use a Camelbak with an insulated tube for just that reason.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-17-17, 10:01 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

thanks Doc! yeah I was referring to the point at which one can't drink from the bottle, so, frozen mouth valves & slush in the bottle ...
Old 11-17-17, 10:20 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12757 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts
thanks Doc! yeah I was referring to the point at which one can't drink from the bottle, so, frozen mouth valves & slush in the bottle ...
In 20 below, I had to take little sips every 5 minutes to keep it drinkable for a while, it eventually froze up cuz I didn't do it frequently enough
Old 11-17-17, 10:25 AM
FrozenK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Keep the bottle upside down.
Old 11-17-17, 10:42 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
My 66 mile ride last Friday started with the temperature at 17 degrees. Was 23 degrees at mile 18. 28 degrees at the halfway point and then 31 degrees at the end. My 2 bottles never froze. But I had Tailwind mixed into both of them.
Old 11-17-17, 11:26 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Gatorade slushies for the win ! But at 7F for 1.5 hours it freezes solid.
Old 11-17-17, 11:43 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
In 20 below
Old 11-17-17, 11:44 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by FrozenK
Keep the bottle upside down.
seriously? that's brilliant. the mouthpiece should be protected by the downtube I guess
Old 11-17-17, 11:46 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
Tailwind
tempting! commonly found? buy online?
Old 11-17-17, 11:58 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I don't recall ever having trouble above 20°
Old 11-17-17, 12:02 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I rode 5-7 days a week all winter in Wyoming. I always dreaded that it might warm up too much on my days off, as I didn't want any chance of the trails turning to mud.

Old 11-17-17, 12:03 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
My 66 mile ride last Friday started with the temperature at 17 degrees. Was 23 degrees at mile 18. 28 degrees at the halfway point and then 31 degrees at the end. My 2 bottles never froze. But I had Tailwind mixed into both of them.
Notice that the temperature was increasing during your ride. I doubt, based on the nutritional information (0.3g sodium and 25g of sugar) of the that the Tailwind, that it depresses the freezing point much. Water by itself would probably give similar results. If the temperature would have been steady, I doubt that it would have stayed liquid as long.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-17-17, 12:06 PM
GadgetGirlIL

tempting! commonly found? buy online?
You can buy it online. I get mine at my local running store as I want to support an independent merchant.
Old 11-17-17, 12:08 PM
GadgetGirlIL

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Notice that the temperature was increasing during your ride. I doubt, based on the nutritional information (0.3g sodium and 25g of sugar) of the that the Tailwind, that it depresses the freezing point much. Water by itself would probably give similar results. If the temperature would have been steady, I doubt that it would have stayed liquid as long.
I concur about the rising temperature. I do mix 2 scoops into my 26 oz water bottle. But I have successfully made Tailwind slush when I've done runs in colder weather

Honestly, I was surprised that it didn't freeze up as it was really darn cold last Friday with the wind! My toes certainly were very cold which has led me to order winter cycling shoes and thicker wool socks.
Old 11-17-17, 01:17 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I rode 5-7 days a week all winter in Wyoming. I always dreaded that it might warm up too much on my days off, as I didn't want any chance of the trails turning to mud
think I remember that photo! beautiful except if there's wind!
Old 11-17-17, 06:28 PM
FrozenK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
seriously? that's brilliant. the mouthpiece should be protected by the downtube I guess
I have a frame bag, so bottle stays there. Or I use a Revelate Feedbag. But yes, keeping a bottle upside down will help with frost forming on the mouthpiece. I guess it'd be harder to do with a regular bottle cage.
Old 11-18-17, 03:30 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
I use two insulated bottles for long rides. Fill one with warm water, the other with HOT water. Drink the warm one first...
Old 11-18-17, 10:45 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
I use two insulated bottles for long rides. Fill one with warm water, the other with HOT water. Drink the warm one first...
No guarantees that will work: https://cosmosmagazine.com/physics/mystery-solved-why-hot-water-freezes-faster-than-cold
Old 11-19-17, 04:54 AM
rumrunn6

if the 2nd one is really insulated they can both be the same temp to start. daughter gave me a Corkcicle
Canteen last year. wound up using it quite a bit

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-19-17 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-19-17, 08:18 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by jefnvk
I can absolutely guarantee that if you start with hot water in an insulated bottle it will freeze slower than starting with cold water in the same bottle under the same conditions. That article has nothing to do with cycling water bottles.
Old 11-19-17, 10:20 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
I can absolutely guarantee that if you start with hot water in an insulated bottle it will freeze slower than starting with cold water in the same bottle under the same conditions. That article has nothing to do with cycling water bottles.
I've tried to test the effect, in a freezer, and I have to admit that I could not make hot water freeze faster than cold. If there is some way that it works, it's an edge case.

FWIW I believe that there exists a temperature range where: if the water in the bottle is constantly sloshed around it will delay the formation of ice, but it will all freeze at once. So I would try filling the bottle only partially, and keeping it upside down as someone suggested. It also occurs to me than having a tube extending to the bottle center would make it more likely for liquid water to be available, but you'd need two nozzles or some other way to disengage it.

Aren't insulated bottles available?
Old 11-19-17, 02:36 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton

Aren't insulated bottles available?
Apparently, there is a real need for someone who is not me to create a cycling-friendly bottle that will hold hot beverages and allow easy access while riding. The bottles that keep beverages hot, from what I've seen, are designed for taking coffee to work or sitting at a campsite, and are difficult to navigate while riding a bike...

Related thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ter-rides.html
Old 11-19-17, 03:15 PM
dmanthree

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...hat-hot-water/
Old 11-20-17, 09:29 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Apparently, there is a real need for someone who is not me to create a cycling-friendly bottle that will hold hot beverages and allow easy access while riding. The bottles that keep beverages hot, from what I've seen, are designed for taking coffee to work or sitting at a campsite, and are difficult to navigate while riding a bike...

Related thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ter-rides.html
Interesting. The first thing that comes to mind given those requirements is insulate the bottle holder instead of the bottle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.