Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Local news warning; Cyclist using Video

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Local news warning; Cyclist using Video

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-18, 08:58 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
I don't really post here much anymore, however it is easy enough to post a link to a file. (mp4, mov, ogv, should playback in most modern browsers)

Youtube sucks, I never had an account there, and never will, they make what should be a simple task, all too complicated.
The file has to be stored somewhere. You cannot just load the file in BFs because of their severe file size limits. Many of the free file storage services have moved to pay sites. I will not use a cloud due to their false claims of security. I discovered at work that the network that used the cloud from our work computers to print files to the shared office printer through the cloud, allowed the transmitted files to be accessed from outside the network; you should have seen the shock on the IT guys face when I told him about it.
Old 01-13-18, 12:47 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
I will not use a cloud due to their false claims of security.
Old 01-13-18, 07:02 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by KD5NRH
True that!
Old 01-14-18, 10:10 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
The file has to be stored somewhere. You cannot just load the file in BFs because of their severe file size limits. Many of the free file storage services have moved to pay sites. I will not use a cloud due to their false claims of security. I discovered at work that the network that used the cloud from our work computers to print files to the shared office printer through the cloud, allowed the transmitted files to be accessed from outside the network; you should have seen the shock on the IT guys face when I told him about it.
There are soooo many ways to host files, and if you are willing to pay a modest fee, the sky is the limit.

I use IPFS and can host from anywhere, perhaps beyond the skill-set of most Internet users, however it is free, and quite effective.

Also, never assume there is any security with anything that is remotely hosted, treat whatever you put online the same as a postcard.

Last edited by SHBR; 01-14-18 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-15-18, 01:41 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Indeed. Lol.
Old 01-15-18, 01:43 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
There are soooo many ways to host files, and if you are willing to pay a modest fee, the sky is the limit.

I use IPFS and can host from anywhere, perhaps beyond the skill-set of most Internet users, however it is free, and quite effective.

Also, never assume there is any security with anything that is remotely hosted, treat whatever you put online the same as a postcard.
Thanks for a few hours of good reading.
Old 01-15-18, 07:38 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Fantastic, I teach computer basics and you can be sure that picture is going to work its way into one of my presentations. It may even end up on the classroom wall.

Back to the topic at hand, I had a cam on my helmet on a ride last summer and I ran into a cop while i was coming out of a park restroom. He had a lot of good comments about my "body-cam" as he called it. He also pointed out that there was a place on the departments webpage for submitting cam footage, even if it had nothing to do with me. in all, it was a very positive encounter.

Last edited by Robert C; 01-15-18 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-17-18, 06:25 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Try this, its sooooo much better.

Neither of these pictures will load behind the great firewall of China.
Old 01-17-18, 06:27 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by f4rrest
Thanks for a few hours of good reading.
There is a video, but yeah, it took me a bit to understand the basics.
Old 01-17-18, 06:45 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
I had a cam on my helmet on a ride last summer and I ran into a cop while i was coming out of a park restroom.
I thought you were going to write that the cop threatened to arrest you for having a camera in a public bathroom...
Old 01-17-18, 08:19 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

thought you were going to write that the cop threatened to arrest you for having a camera in a public bathroom...
This would be an easy mistake to make, there are many cyclists, even motorcyclists that forget that they are wearing a helmet.

I bet facial recognition doesn't work so well when people are wearing a full face helmet, or even a dust mask, like many people in China do.
Old 01-18-18, 03:03 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
When videos of the offenders get on TV, it will be a great message to the would be road ragers. Any cyclist that is attacked should make their video available to the local press.
The problem here is that RAGE is a chemical reaction in the brain caused by an event. A person in a full-on rage has lost contact with their prefrontal cortex (the part that controls impulses) and therefore does not remember cameras even exist nor do they care at that red-hot moment.

Research has shown that low levels of serotonin (genetic flaw or other causes) in spinal fluid can predispose a person to extreme or recurring bouts of rage. A "short fuse" so to speak. So as PREVENTION goes...good luck with that. Evidence for use after the event my work if you have front and rear cameras rolling all the time.

Let's just say that for any sport I currently enjoy, when the day comes that I have to surround myself with cameras so my next-of-kin can use it to avenge my death, I am DONE with that sport.
Old 01-18-18, 03:45 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

This would be an easy mistake to make, there are many cyclists, even motorcyclists that forget that they are wearing a helmet.

I bet facial recognition doesn't work so well when people are wearing a full face helmet, or even a dust mask, like many people in China do.
How many people forget to leave their cell phones outside when using a public bathroom?

Oh wait, that is not a law?

I guess you guys should stop trying to make up laws.
Old 01-21-18, 09:24 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

How many people forget to leave their cell phones outside when using a public bathroom?

Oh wait, that is not a law?

I guess you guys should stop trying to make up laws.
What is or isn't legal isn't for me to decide.

I would say its bad form to make any sort of recording in any restroom, also its a bit more difficult to be discrete while wearing a helmet cam in a public restroom.

Good luck with that.
Old 01-21-18, 09:55 PM
detroitjim

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 48 Posts
""General Data Protection Regulations" (GDPR) in Ireland" Good thing this is the US where rights DON'T give you any expectation of privacy while in public. Take all the pictures you want.
Old 01-21-18, 10:12 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,512 Times in 2,855 Posts
What is or isn't legal isn't for me to decide.

I would say its bad form to make any sort of recording in any restroom, also its a bit more difficult to be discrete while wearing a helmet cam in a public restroom.
Also illegal by federal law (on federal land), otherwise by state law: https://victimsofcrime.org/docs/Polic...Aug%202009.pdf
Old 01-22-18, 12:54 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Also illegal by federal law (on federal land), otherwise by state law: https://victimsofcrime.org/docs/Polic...Aug%202009.pdf
To be clear, those laws only apply to areas where there is an expectation of privacy such as restrooms and change rooms.
There is no expectation of privacy in public spaces.
Old 01-30-18, 02:07 PM
JohnnyCyclist
Poseur Extraordinaire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Going back to the original topic:
- I have front- and rear-facing cameras. No use for the video so far (and hopefully never).
- There have been two hit-and-run's here in recent years, and the cops used video to help track the drivers down both times.

And addressing the shift-in-topic:
- I once pushed my bike into a public bathroom, front- and rear-blinkies bright as could be, and cameras also on (though their power lights were hidden). One of the people inside headed for the door - REAL QUICK. Ha, ha, ha. Taught me me to turn off my lights and cameras henceforth, however.