Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Frustrations Mount

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Frustrations Mount

Old 12-01-17, 03:50 AM
MrInitialMan

Bikes: Best described as "What is that?!"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Frustrations Mount

May I rant a bit here? It's a frame-building rant, so I think this is the right forum, but, well... It's a rant.

I'm getting really frustrated with my frame-building. It's not that my father isn't the welder he used to be (he isn't, but he's still good; I can't weld at all), or that some of the components are as much as a 1/4 inch out of alignment.

It's more that the more I work on this quadricycle, the more idiotic it looks. Some of the frame components look like a waste of space after I've put them on. It's hideously overbuilt, since I have no idea how light I can go. And more and more I'm beginning to realize--I have no clue what I'm doing.

Dunno if I'll get banned for this, but I just needed to get it off my chest.

Last edited by MrInitialMan; 12-01-17 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-01-17, 04:09 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
You've just taken the first step to recovery. Admitting that your beyond your level of expertise.

Short of some engineering courses, the hardest part of frame building are the structural issues like how strong is strong enough, and how much material and bracing is needed. Most builders don't need to know this, since they rely on established designs and buy materials from vendors who know.

With a bit of knowledge, one can safely venture off the beaten track, but shouldn't stray so far that they get lost.

Don't get frustrated or give up. Get some help from those who've built similar vehicles, or look at and dissect similar vehicles for some insights.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-01-17, 04:50 AM
MrInitialMan

My current problem is: my frame is more than half-built. And having to cut up that much square tubing and start over would irk my father to no end--it's his steel I've been using (with his permission)
Old 12-01-17, 05:29 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by MrInitialMan
My current problem is: my frame is more than half-built. And having to cut up that much square tubing and start over would irk my father to no end--it's his steel I've been using (with his permission)
So, you're at a logical break point. This the time to stop making scrap, and go back and reconsider the overall design. Then decide what of what you've done so far can be used, and what - exactly - has to go.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-01-17, 05:37 AM
MrInitialMan

I'll talk to my dad about taking about a foot of material out of some pieces already welded in place (the section they're a part of is not yet welded into place, though)
Old 12-02-17, 12:20 AM
MrInitialMan

Originally Posted by FBinNY
With a bit of knowledge, one can safely venture off the beaten track, but shouldn't stray so far that they get lost.
I had no clue where the beaten track was when I started, so I've been completely lost from day one.
Old 12-02-17, 06:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
don't have a metal cutting blade in an electric powered chop saw ? your hack saw arm must be tired by now..

Old 12-02-17, 07:43 PM
MrInitialMan

Originally Posted by fietsbob
don't have a metal cutting blade in an electric powered chop saw ? your hack saw arm must be tired by now..

Yeah, I'll take a cutoff wheel to some of it tomorrow. Right now, I'm tempted to use a sledgehammer.
Old 12-06-17, 05:13 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,809 Times in 1,534 Posts
When I am this frustrated with a project, I have learned that I have to step back and be really analytical. More often than not if I just keep going I will just throw more time,materials and money at something and then just have to scrap more than if I had stopped totally or restarted with I was at the frustration point

I am an inveterate DIY guy and often want to try my own thing and have paid the price

being direct, you have a super ambitious project, that right now seems like it will result in a vehicle that is super heavy and maybe not at all functional.

I suggest that you state your design goals and question ever decision about them

i.e
Goal build a velomobile that can be easily pedaled by one person of a 100kg and carry another 100 KG
in cargo or people for a cost of $1000

then start thinking thinks like
why 4 wheels vs 3? what is benefit, advantage of either

side by side seating or front and back?

what type of enclosure? fabric, fiberglass, clear vinal, corugated plastic or ????

look for prior art...search google and youtube for velomobile and see what people have done and leverage that

look at other areas for materials...ie clear sail material could make a good covering

question everything.......... don't see anything at all like you envision.....are you brilliant or is it non practical idea?

KISS Keep it simple silly, especially for first version

good luck

Old 12-07-17, 03:59 AM
MrInitialMan

Originally Posted by squirtdad
being direct, you have a super ambitious project, that right now seems like it will result in a vehicle that is super heavy and maybe not at all functional.
My dad often reminds me of the loads my grandpa took in his cargo bike, (You know those old-timey milk cans? Grandpa actually used them), so I didn't think of weight all that much.

why 4 wheels vs 3?
4 because I didn't want to build a pedal-powered Reliant Robin.

side by side seating or front and back?
Single; cargo space in the back.

what type of enclosure? fabric, fiberglass, clear vinal, corugated plastic or ????
Plywood. Dad's got a bunch of that stuff lying around.

As for other design choices, it's designed to be 30 inches wide because, well, I'm rather wide of frame and I wanted some room. It's length was to give me some space in the back.

And I'm using steel because I don't have the equipment to weld aluminum or the $$$ to buy the stuff.