Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

10 Finally

Old 12-26-17, 03:02 PM
copperfind

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Facet 105 Equipped, Centurion Carbon-R 105 Equipped,Diamondback Zetec 2.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
Nice work guys ... Made level 11 today while suffering through an FTP Test ...
Nothing like earning it the hard way.
Old 12-26-17, 08:56 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Nice work guys ... Made level 11 today while suffering through an FTP Test ...
very nice FTP tests suck so bad.....I did a 20 minute one and thought the heck with this..will never do the actual 1 hour one. Just no worth it!!
Old 12-26-17, 09:01 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Well I knocked it out today. Got home from Christmas back at home and after totally wrecking my diet I figured now was a good of time as any. Got the 15 laps and the 100KM ride knocked out. It did actually kind of suck but glad I get it done. I took many breaks so the actual time it took was well over 3 1/3 hours but the "riding time" was under 3 hours. I did 10, rested, 7, rested, 3, rested, 3, rested and 2 and then died.

I ate 3 gels, a granola bar, 106oz of water 3 NUUN tabs in the water and spent 45 minutes in the whirlpool so I could feel....well never mind but yeah it was a burner! Changed my shorts 2 times because of the sweat and was uncomfortable. I sweat so bad indoors, 2 fans aint cutting it. Glad I did though, was a great ride right after a bad eating holiday like Christmas!

I doubt I will ever try the 100 mile ride....that would be so hard!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5468.JPG (114.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_5471.JPG (114.1 KB, 82 views)
Old 12-27-17, 06:40 AM
copperfind

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Facet 105 Equipped, Centurion Carbon-R 105 Equipped,Diamondback Zetec 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Well I knocked it out today. Got home from Christmas back at home and after totally wrecking my diet I figured now was a good of time as any. Got the 15 laps and the 100KM ride knocked out. It did actually kind of suck but glad I get it done. I took many breaks so the actual time it took was well over 3 1/3 hours but the "riding time" was under 3 hours. I did 10, rested, 7, rested, 3, rested, 3, rested and 2 and then died.

I ate 3 gels, a granola bar, 106oz of water 3 NUUN tabs in the water and spent 45 minutes in the whirlpool so I could feel....well never mind but yeah it was a burner! Changed my shorts 2 times because of the sweat and was uncomfortable. I sweat so bad indoors, 2 fans aint cutting it. Glad I did though, was a great ride right after a bad eating holiday like Christmas!

I doubt I will ever try the 100 mile ride....that would be so hard!
How do you pause the game... I took 3 breaks but just left my guy sitting in the road with the time running?
Old 12-27-17, 07:20 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
I joined Zwift when I bought a trainer a few months back (my ten year old laptop was not up to the task) but in the last couple of weeks, I have been riding around and checking it out. About 1/2 way thru level 3 and realizing just how little of the surface of what this platform has to offer I have scratched. This time of year, it's dark when I go to work, there's not enough light to ride after work, and my spring riding always suffers. Hopefully I will be in better shape this year.
Old 12-27-17, 07:31 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by copperfind
How do you pause the game... I took 3 breaks but just left my guy sitting in the road with the time running?
That's how you pause the game

Just take a break, and let your avatar sit by the side of the road for a bit
Old 12-27-17, 08:16 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
You people are beasts...kudos! You’ve been making very rapid progress in the game and doing big, awesome rides! I’ve been on Zwift since it was in beta, which takes me back to ‘15, and I’m only on L15! I don’t really play the game at all, and just ride to get my workouts in, but I’m realizing that I may have been missing the boat all this time, as, clearly, playing the game has motivated so many to do some impressive rides! I’m not one much for setting goals, especially when they involve sitting on a stationary bike for hours, but I’m feeling inspired seeing your successes!
Old 12-27-17, 08:43 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Ill is correct, just simply stop riding. Your little guy will just pull over to the side of the road and your ride clock will stop. If your doing a lap or timed deal that clock will still keep running though. I think I had 4 laps over 20 minutes on the loop because of breaks but your total clock just pauses. I did a zwift blog search and you can "pause" the game for up to 24 hours before it will kick you off the system. Your sensors will go to sleep but you will stay on the side of the road with no motion for 24 hours. I guess that would be the only way I would get the 100 miles in, just let it run for a couple of consecutive days .....that would be very dirty though!
Old 12-27-17, 08:47 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by chaadster
You people are beasts...kudos! You’ve been making very rapid progress in the game and doing big, awesome rides! I’ve been on Zwift since it was in beta, which takes me back to ‘15, and I’m only on L15! I don’t really play the game at all, and just ride to get my workouts in, but I’m realizing that I may have been missing the boat all this time, as, clearly, playing the game has motivated so many to do some impressive rides! I’m not one much for setting goals, especially when they involve sitting on a stationary bike for hours, but I’m feeling inspired seeing your successes!

If you get the achievements your "score" goes up pretty fast, but when you have no more to get your "score" will gain very VERY slowly. I at at level 11 now and only have a few of the show achievements left and I probably will not get the last 5 I need. The 7,15,31 days in a row bonus, the 100 mile bonus and get 15 ride on's in one game. I would like to say I will get the few secret bonus but they are all wattage based and they are super hard to get IMO.

So I will just have to get points the old fashioned way now buy riding in the game. I need major points to get to level 15 from my early level 11 now, I hope to just get there by spring but I doubt that will happen.
Old 12-27-17, 08:47 AM
copperfind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmmm when I do that elapsed time keeps ticking away... Probably has to do with the Powercal Powermeter still sending signal to the game when I stop... This all changes, after yesterdays ride I got my new Powerbeam Smart trainer delivered and it is set up and ready to go... Did a short ride last night shockingly moderate climbs 5% pushing it on the Supermagneto was harder than on the smart trainer... I am sure this will change with steep climbs... If I have the legs I may do Box Hill today just to feel the burn.
Old 12-27-17, 08:51 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Hmmm when I do that elapsed time keeps ticking away... Probably has to do with the Powercal Powermeter still sending signal to the game when I stop... This all changes, after yesterdays ride I got my new Powerbeam Smart trainer delivered and it is set up and ready to go... Did a short ride last night shockingly moderate climbs 5% pushing it on the Supermagneto was harder than on the smart trainer... I am sure this will change with steep climbs... If I have the legs I may do Box Hill today just to feel the burn.

Box/Fox hill sucks! epic KOM sucks, satellite tower is just punishment that is not for humans.....I HATE libby hill too....good luck now that I have spread the sunshine all around!
Old 12-27-17, 09:08 AM
ill.clyde

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
If you get the achievements your "score" goes up pretty fast, but when you have no more to get your "score" will gain very VERY slowly. I at at level 11 now and only have a few of the show achievements left and I probably will not get the last 5 I need. The 7,15,31 days in a row bonus, the 100 mile bonus and get 15 ride on's in one game. I would like to say I will get the few secret bonus but they are all wattage based and they are super hard to get IMO.

So I will just have to get points the old fashioned way now buy riding in the game. I need major points to get to level 15 from my early level 11 now, I hope to just get there by spring but I doubt that will happen.
Worth pointing out ... you earn slightly more points for KMs versus miles ... I often switch from miles to KM right after logging in and starting a ride.

Also ... if you're in it just for the KMs/miles and thus, the points, ride on the TT bike. It won't earn any power ups (Aero Boost, Featherweight, etc) so you'll only get either the small bonus or large bonus points each time you cross a sprint point or do a lap on the Volcano circuit.

I did this when I was pushing hard to make Level 10 and wanted to do it asap
Old 12-27-17, 12:49 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

There's a Pause button in the menu.

Edit: Rather, I should have said the game pauses when you pull up the Menu.

Last edited by chaadster; 12-28-17 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-27-17, 11:06 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
I probably will not get the last 5 I need. The 7,15,31 days in a row bonus
How much do you actually need to ride in a day to get credit for that day?

The real rides I do are pretty draining. But as long as I wasn't going out of town for some reason, I could easily just climb on the bike every day and ride a couple of easy miles.

Is 63mph the last speed bonus, or is there another one even higher (maybe 70)? I wonder if a clyde might be able to hit that on the radio tower, and the skinny guys wouldn't have any way to get it.
Old 12-27-17, 11:48 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
I hit the 50 mph on the downhill after Box Hill
Old 12-28-17, 12:29 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by ericy
How much do you actually need to ride in a day to get credit for that day?

The real rides I do are pretty draining. But as long as I wasn't going out of town for some reason, I could easily just climb on the bike every day and ride a couple of easy miles.

Is 63mph the last speed bonus, or is there another one even higher (maybe 70)? I wonder if a clyde might be able to hit that on the radio tower, and the skinny guys wouldn't have any way to get it.
I don’t know what officially constitutes a ride. I an sure it’s distance or time based but don’t really know. Need to research tjis.
Old 12-28-17, 12:30 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Worth pointing out ... you earn slightly more points for KMs versus miles ... I often switch from miles to KM right after logging in and starting a ride.

Also ... if you're in it just for the KMs/miles and thus, the points, ride on the TT bike. It won't earn any power ups (Aero Boost, Featherweight, etc) so you'll only get either the small bonus or large bonus points each time you cross a sprint point or do a lap on the Volcano circuit.

I did this when I was pushing hard to make Level 10 and wanted to do it asap
Both great tips. Thanks!!!
Old 12-28-17, 02:40 AM
PaddleFoot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

To get credit for a day, you simply log in and it thinks you went for a ride. Only important at first when the silly achievements actually seem to mean something. Just enjoy your rides and your levels rise. Many awards are anti-climatic later on. I have my steel bike and I am set. Only jersey worth wearing in a Century.

If you think you're doing great, raise the gradient slider from the default easy zone of 50%. More realistic speeds going up hill. Eye opener.
Old 12-28-17, 07:02 AM
PaddleFoot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

I thought I would post this here as there is a lot of enthusiasm for Zwift in this group. I recently tested this...

https://zwifthacks.com/zwiftpref/

It allows changes to Zwift to be made like map/route selection, plus some optional changes like No Hud (you use the ZML). At any time, you can ride any map in Zwift, you are not obligated to follow the calendar rotation. Of course, the map may be far less populated, but that is not always a bad thing as it is like finding a needle in a haystack to ride with someone sometimes. I just tested Watopia and there were people riding there.

I had hopes it would allow me to use workout mode with sim mode, but it still gets easier going uphill and harder going down and I just don't want that.

Anyhow, I thought I would share it here.
Old 12-28-17, 07:45 AM
ill.clyde

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I think I read somewhere that the minimum distance ride to get "credit" in Zwift is three miles ...

Also, yes, Clydes could definitely hit 63mph going down the radio tower. There's a "tutorial" somewhere on the Internet ... with Shane Miller (GP Lama), shows how to hit 63 mph with the use of a power up coming down off the radio tower, but I could see us Clydes achieving it without a power up.

As for the secret wattage based achievements ... you'd be surprised. I've earned a few.
Old 12-28-17, 06:16 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

I think I read somewhere that the minimum distance ride to get "credit" in Zwift is three miles ...

Also, yes, Clydes could definitely hit 63mph going down the radio tower. There's a "tutorial" somewhere on the Internet ... with Shane Miller (GP Lama), shows how to hit 63 mph with the use of a power up coming down off the radio tower, but I could see us Clydes achieving it without a power up.

As for the secret wattage based achievements ... you'd be surprised. I've earned a few.
Yeah next ride I am going to the top and try to get the 63mph. I got my 50 there and thought I might be able to punch it if I take a good break at the top. Hopefully I can get a wattage bonus in the process too.
Old 12-29-17, 12:42 PM
copperfind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah next ride I am going to the top and try to get the 63mph. I got my 50 there and thought I might be able to punch it if I take a good break at the top. Hopefully I can get a wattage bonus in the process too.
So I am really like the switch to the Smart Trainer... Did Box Hill today with trainer set to 100% and though I see I am having some tire slip issues (time for trainer tire) even though it hurts the legs a bit more I can climb faster than I could with the non smart trainer.

This was after climbing Box Hill... Powerbeam Pro claims + or- 5 watts either way I was pretty stoked... Also knocked out the 500 watts for 10 seconds thing.

Old 12-29-17, 02:04 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Damn. Nice job
Old 12-29-17, 10:59 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
So I am really like the switch to the Smart Trainer... Did Box Hill today with trainer set to 100% and though I see I am having some tire slip issues (time for trainer tire) even though it hurts the legs a bit more I can climb faster than I could with the non smart trainer.
Well done. That climb is hard enough with the thing set to 50%.

I am sold on smart trainers as well - it makes the thing more immersive - when you see the grade starting to go up, you shift the same way you would outdoors.

I got the call today - my bike is ready to be picked up. Needed a new bottom bracket cartridge, and I didn't have the tools to wrench that myself. Besides, I would rather ride than wrench.
Old 12-30-17, 08:13 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

This was after climbing Box Hill... Powerbeam Pro claims + or- 5 watts either way I was pretty stoked... Also knocked out the 500 watts for 10 seconds thing.

The most impressive part is that you managed to grab a pic while knocking out 1k watts!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.