Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The dangers of protected bike lanes

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 04:18 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some of this stuff seems obvious, but I guess some people have to experience it to realize the dangers.

Many cyclists are unaware of the additional hazards, especially at intersections with side streets and even driveways.

EXCERPT:

The tiny spaces we carve out for cyclists in a city built for cars can be traps as well as havens.
By Philip Montoro @pmontoro

... I'm talking specifically about lanes that cross side streets, where only traffic on the side street has to stop. (Milwaukee Avenue is a good example.) Cyclists traveling at cruising speed thus ride directly across the path of drivers turning onto the side street—and when traffic is light, drivers often make these turns with little to no warning. This wouldn't be worse than biking on any other two-way road, except that the protected bike lane is usually separated from the street by parking spaces—and when they're full, drivers and cyclists can barely see each other until it's too late. Even an attentive driver can be taken by surprise when parked cars conceal nearly all of a cyclist's approach to the intersection.

This arrangement also sucks for cyclists because of the constraints it places on drivers trying to turn from the side street onto the larger road: the protected bike lane is so close to the curb that drivers can't see oncoming cyclists till they're practically in the intersection, and the parking lane is so far out into the street that drivers are motivated to nose out into cyclists' path in order to get a clear look at car traffic. I don't have to imagine a driver as hostile to cyclists to perceive this as dangerous. I'd almost rather ride on the other side of the parking lane, out in the street, where I'd at least be more visible.

This is part of a ubiquitous pattern, not only in Chicago but across the country...

LINK:

https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicag...t?oid=37062104

Last edited by Ninety5rpm; 01-06-18 at 07:13 PM. Reason: snipped to leave only an excerpt
Old 01-03-18, 04:40 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Another copyright issue (hint, it’s not the blue that’s the problem).

And another VC thread.

-mr. bill
Old 01-03-18, 04:42 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Another copyright issue. Another VC thread.

-mr. bill
What's the copyright issue (I linked to the original article), and what does this have to do with VC? It's a cycling safety article by a facilities proponent.
Old 01-03-18, 04:48 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,420 Posts
Why would you start the same thread twice?

I know you altered the title slightly, but it's still the same thing.

I know you have a very important agenda, and want to educate the heathens, but please show some respect and courtesy by not posting duplicate threads.

BTW - I'm not a mod, not do I control the forum in any way. This is simply a personal request which you're free to disregard. However, I like to give and get respect in roughly equal amounts, so having said my piece will ignore both the threads.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-03-18, 05:02 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,818 Times in 1,539 Posts
the problem is not cyclists, it is cyclists having to work with a bad design that is based on the lowest common denominator of skill. The bigger problem is drivers.

This type of design which "seems" safe because it has car's as a barrier creates a lot of issues with visibility and lanes being blocked by non cycling users.

protected infrastructure (of which I am not a fan) requires, separate signals to avoid these issues

There is no one size fits all in infrastructure, but what has been pretty successful multiple situations in my area has been road diets....ie changing a 4 lane (2 lanes each way) to 2 lanes, with a center turning lane, and 2 large bike lanes. Motorists scream, but in general this has resulted in better bikeablity and even walkability where it was done, but again that may not fly in downtown chicago

Old 01-03-18, 05:03 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,818 Times in 1,539 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
What's the copyright issue (I linked to the original article), and what does this have to do with VC? It's a cycling safety article by a facilities proponent.
If you cut and paste the entire article,etc it is an issue, vs a few sentences and a link

Old 01-03-18, 05:14 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY

I know you altered the title slightly, but it's still the same thing.
Same thread? Same thing? Separate threads about totally different articles. Each thread is intended to discuss the cycling safety article referenced in the OP of each thread.

The first was an article about the danger of bike lanes. This one focuses on a problem peculiar to "protected bike lanes". Did you read either article? They're very different.
Old 01-03-18, 05:16 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
If you cut and paste the entire article,etc it is an issue, vs a few sentences and a link
Done. Thanks.
Old 01-03-18, 05:21 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Funny watching some get triggered with discussion on bike lanes and then claiming it is a VC discussion in hopes of getting it moved.
Old 01-03-18, 05:22 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Different article.
Old 01-03-18, 05:37 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Funny watching some get triggered with discussion on bike lanes and then claiming it is a VC discussion in hopes of getting it moved.
So any discussion about any article opposing bike lanes is a VC subject?
Old 01-03-18, 06:08 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,420 Posts
Different article.
So noted.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-03-18, 06:11 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Different article.
Same subject; same agenda.
Old 01-03-18, 06:12 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So noted.
Did you read the articles?
Old 01-03-18, 06:33 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Not really. One article was written by a consultant for the fossil-fuel industry who has also written articles entitled "Ban the Bike" and others extolling the virtues of burning coal and labeling renewable energy sources as scams. The other was written by a cyclist criticizing one particular type of protected bike lane.

Hardly the same agenda.
Old 01-03-18, 06:41 PM
fixedweasel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just read the part that is posted here. Did not read the article in the other thread. The article above is referring to the "New" Bike Lanes/Design here in Chicago and it is absolutely horrendous. It's a crap* design that puts everyone's safety at risk. It's a real shame that they are putting those in. Terrible. Yes, the old Chicago Bike Lanes gave a lane on the right side of traffic but you were one with traffic and not only could you see everything but also be seen by all cars and pedestrians. You also always had an out if there was a chance of an accident. The new design throws the rider against the curb on the right and parked cars on the left. Between opening passenger car doors and/or pedestrians walking between the parked cars to get to the other side, and/or texting folks walking off the curb with their heads down/generally not paying attention, all just accidents waiting to happen.** Also, that hidden lane shrouds riders from cars making right hand turns (and left hand turns from oncoming traffic). By the time they are halfway through their turn, they will be on top/T-bone the rider(s) going through the intersection. So if you're fortunate to be biking in our new lanes, you now have to dodge......................

opening car doors much closer than before
folks stepping off the curb into the bike lane
folks going between cars after crossing the street right into the bike lane
all the winter debris/garbage dumped into the bike lane because of the curve/gutter..........puncture anyone?
no snow plowed bike lanes
cars making right/left hand turns without seeing you

................and all of this joy with no way out if something/one of these things happens.

This is a textbook example of people designing things who have never used the product or never had to critically think through/troubleshoot an issue with the design.

fail

*total/real/absolute/tons
**and they've already happened
Old 01-03-18, 06:51 PM
mr_bill

The “proponent”

What do you think we are?

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 01-03-18 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-03-18, 07:24 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Just another article defending bad driving as an acceptable norm.
Old 01-03-18, 07:34 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedweasel
I just read the part that is posted here. Did not read the article in the other thread. The article above is referring to the "New" Bike Lanes/Design here in Chicago and it is absolutely horrendous. It's a crap* design that puts everyone's safety at risk. It's a real shame that they are putting those in. Terrible. Yes, the old Chicago Bike Lanes gave a lane on the right side of traffic but you were one with traffic and not only could you see everything but also be seen by all cars and pedestrians. You also always had an out if there was a chance of an accident. The new design throws the rider against the curb on the right and parked cars on the left. Between opening passenger car doors and/or pedestrians walking between the parked cars to get to the other side, and/or texting folks walking off the curb with their heads down/generally not paying attention, all just accidents waiting to happen.** Also, that hidden lane shrouds riders from cars making right hand turns (and left hand turns from oncoming traffic). By the time they are halfway through their turn, they will be on top/T-bone the rider(s) going through the intersection. So if you're fortunate to be biking in our new lanes, you now have to dodge......................

opening car doors much closer than before
folks stepping off the curb into the bike lane
folks going between cars after crossing the street right into the bike lane
all the winter debris/garbage dumped into the bike lane because of the curve/gutter..........puncture anyone?
no snow plowed bike lanes
cars making right/left hand turns without seeing you

................and all of this joy with no way out if something/one of these things happens.

This is a textbook example of people designing things who have never used the product or never had to critically think through/troubleshoot an issue with the design.

fail

*total/real/absolute/tons
**and they've already happened
Yes, this is the point of the article. Traditional bike lanes are usually innocuous and even helpful when motor traffic is congested, but these "protected" ones do anything but protect.
Old 01-03-18, 08:03 PM
mr_bill

When was the last time you rode a bicycle in Chicago?

Rhetorical question, continue ripping out “innocuous and even helfpul” bike lanes.

-mr. bill
Old 01-03-18, 08:13 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When was the last time you rode a bicycle in Chicago?

Rhetorical question, continue ripping out “innocuous and even helfpul” bike lanes.

-mr. bill
Are you confusing me with the author of an article I shared here?

Last edited by Ninety5rpm; 01-03-18 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Bold the part I'm referencing
Old 01-03-18, 08:16 PM
mr_bill

A rhetorical question is confusing?
(Rhetorical question.)

-mr. bill
Old 01-03-18, 08:45 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A rhetorical question is confusing?
(Rhetorical question.)

-mr. bill
I was referring to the statement after your self-identified rhetorical question that appeared to reveal you confusing me with the article author.
Old 01-03-18, 10:35 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Yep again.

After all, when one VC Trojan Horse is put out to pasture, doesn't take long to construct another one and try again.
Old 01-04-18, 01:08 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
The veil of faux polite has become quite grotesque. And nauseating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.