Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The dangers of protected bike lanes

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

The dangers of protected bike lanes

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-18, 06:41 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
and again the OP has moved what was a good thread on issues with protected/segragated infratructure into a lane control/VC discussion. time to move it to VC, sadly

Old 01-05-18, 06:51 PM
welshTerrier2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
The notion that cyclists have to match motorist speed to mix well with them is a fallacious myth which needs to die. If cyclists believe it and say it, can we blame the motorists? We have have found the enemy and they are us.
Has anyone here actually suggested that "cyclists have to match motorist speed to mix well with them?"

"We have have [sic] found the enemy and they are us." Well, perhaps at least some of us.

Do you have any hard evidence that bike lanes and/or protected bike lanes make cyclists less safe? The concerns you raise about curb cuts, plantings, side streets etc. are all valid concerns but the information I've seen (and posted) suggests that, at least for the specific lanes I cited, cyclists are safer. There are lots of very legitimate issues that need to be addressed but that does not mean these lanes should be permanently deleted from our infrastructure toolkit.
Old 01-05-18, 08:00 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
and again the OP has moved what was a good thread on issues with protected/segragated infratructure into a lane control/VC discussion. time to move it to VC, sadly
Yeah, let's not get hung up on that in this thread, but in my defense the whole point of the article linked in the OP is that the protected bike lanes put the cyclist into this vulnerable position: "drivers and cyclists can barely see each other until it's too late".
Old 01-05-18, 08:03 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by welshTerrier2
Has anyone here actually suggested that "cyclists have to match motorist speed to mix well with them?"
Perhaps I misunderstood, but what I understood this to imply is that cyclists have to come close to matching motorist speeds to "mix well" with them:

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Cyclists love to imagine they mix well with 25mph and even 35mph arterial traffic, but the reality is that the main of cyclists are doing well to sustain 15mph for long.
Old 01-05-18, 08:07 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"We have have [sic] found the enemy and they are us." Well, perhaps at least some of us.

Do you have any hard evidence that bike lanes and/or protected bike lanes make cyclists less safe? The concerns you raise about curb cuts, plantings, side streets etc. are all valid concerns but the information I've seen (and posted) suggests that, at least for the specific lanes I cited, cyclists are safer. There are lots of very legitimate issues that need to be addressed but that does not mean these lanes should be permanently deleted from our infrastructure toolkit.
I'm not calling for deletion of anything. Just awareness of risks. And being careful about what we wish for...

The data on cyclist safety is sparse and fraught with problems. For example, whether a given road has bike lanes, most cyclists will ride near the edge anyway, so the difference in safety is going to be negligible. Even if you put up BMUFL signs and sharrows, most will still hug the curb when possible. But I do have hope this is changing.
Old 01-06-18, 05:22 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Your real problem is that you don't do enough to distinguish that you are quoting a source and the link is last.

All bicycles are vehicles. They weren't made with elfin magic, which is good because shortbread and chocolate does not make a good bicycle.
Old 01-06-18, 07:13 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Your real problem is that you don't do enough to distinguish that you are quoting a source and the link is last.
Really? I added headings. Better?
Old 01-07-18, 06:27 AM
welshTerrier2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm not calling for deletion of anything. Just awareness of risks. And being careful about what we wish for...

The data on cyclist safety is sparse and fraught with problems. For example, whether a given road has bike lanes, most cyclists will ride near the edge anyway, so the difference in safety is going to be negligible. Even if you put up BMUFL signs and sharrows, most will still hug the curb when possible. But I do have hope this is changing.
So, your answer to the question "Do you have any hard evidence that bike lanes and/or protected bike lanes make cyclists less safe?" apparently is "NO, I have no hard evidence."

Instead, you suggest that "most cyclists will ride near the edge anyway, so the difference in safety is going to be negligible." Is that based solely on your own observations? The studies I cited suggest that cyclists using the protected bike lanes covered by the studies were much safer but, somehow, you're able to conclude that "the difference in safety is negligible."

Last edited by welshTerrier2; 01-07-18 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-07-18, 06:54 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
...[T]he whole point of the article... is that "drivers and cyclists can barely see each other until it's too late".
PICS of the TRAPS on the North Milwaukee Ave protected bike lane or....

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 01-07-18 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-07-18, 07:25 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
On protected bike lanes, or anywhere else, if cyclist and drivers obey traffic laws, why should there be any danger.
Old 01-07-18, 08:12 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
On protected bike lanes, or anywhere else, if cyclist and drivers obey traffic laws, why should there be any danger.
True -- but that's a big "if"
Old 01-07-18, 08:49 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Because cyclists and drivers often ignore traffic laws. That’s why you shouldn’t ride in the door lane, for example. If everyone was behaving properly you could ride 6” from a row of parked cars. Clearly not a good idea.
Old 01-07-18, 09:13 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
Politicians
Old 01-07-18, 03:00 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
If no one violated the law, think of what we'd save on criminal justice costs.
Old 01-08-18, 09:35 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Yeah, let's not get hung up on that in this thread, but in my defense the whole point of the article linked in the OP is that the protected bike lanes put the cyclist into this vulnerable position: "drivers and cyclists can barely see each other until it's too late".
That is the point you wish to make and yet I read something entirely different. The point was that that "particular bike lane was unsafe" Having not ridden it personally I cannot say one way or another

To draw a conclusion all protected bike lanes are unsafe from that article is disingenuous.

I have ridden many bike lanes. I have felt the need to take the lane. I have felt the need to ride close to the curb and the white line. Bicycling is fluid and one size does not fit all. One must be situational aware and ride in the safest manner based on the conditions you are in
Old 01-08-18, 11:19 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by gregf83
Because cyclists and drivers often ignore traffic laws. That’s why you shouldn’t ride in the door lane, for example. If everyone was behaving properly you could ride 6” from a row of parked cars. Clearly not a good idea.
Granted you cant fix stupid. If you run red lights, and dont stop, then just look at it as improving the gene pool, and having good organ donors.

On a positive note however, protected bike ways will get some people that might not ride certain places to ride.
Old 01-08-18, 11:25 AM
mr_bill

Because drivers often ignore traffic laws such as turn only lanes. That's why you shouldn't ride in the thru lane. If everyone was behaving properly you could ride in a thru lane and not worry about right hooks. Clearly not a good idea.

-mr. bill
Old 01-08-18, 11:37 AM
rydabent
Banned

Protected lanes or not, ride like every single car is driven by a lunatic that is out to get you. A couple hundred pounds never come out of an accident as well as a 4000 pound car.
Old 01-12-18, 04:37 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Protected lanes or not, ride like every single car is driven by a lunatic that is out to get you.
If I really rode like that I'd never ride anywhere without an impassable barrier between me and motor vehicle traffic - i.e. only on separate trails without any road intersections. No thanks, I'll continue to use my bike as my primary transportation. And the statistics are pretty clear that doing so will add to rather than subtract from my life expectancy. Obviously no guarantees, but I'll take my chances with what's likely to happen rather than live in fear of what might possibly happen.
Old 01-12-18, 04:42 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Because drivers often ignore traffic laws such as turn only lanes. That's why you shouldn't ride in the thru lane. If everyone was behaving properly you could ride in a thru lane and not worry about right hooks. Clearly not a good idea.

-mr. bill
Old 01-14-18, 05:40 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Everybody will tell you the refs weren't any good this year...
Old 01-14-18, 08:47 PM
mr_bill

[False equivalency clip art]
A common way to get hurt (or worse) is to have a motor vehicle turn right from the far left lane.

So, really?

-mr. bill
Old 01-16-18, 11:04 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A common way to get hurt (or worse) is to have a motor vehicle turn right from the far left lane.

So, really?

-mr. bill
If it's "common", how about finding three examples of news reports about these "common" ways to get hurt (or worse) when "a motor vehicle turn[s] right from the far left lane."
Old 01-16-18, 11:35 AM
mr_bill

You'll get two - or worse. A tale of two cities.

Turned left from the RIGHT curb. In this case, the driver was charged.

Turned right from the LEFT lane. In this case, the accident is still under investigation.

-mr. bill
Old 01-16-18, 01:33 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll get two - or worse. A tale of two cities.

Turned left from the RIGHT curb. In this case, the driver was charged.

Turned right from the LEFT lane. In this case, the accident is still under investigation.

-mr. bill
Oh, please. Trucks in both cases. Trucks! They have to make wide turns. You get that, right? These are not examples of people not "behaving properly". These are proper turns, given the vehicles involved.

What Cyclists Need To Know About Trucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.