Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Protein Supplement?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Protein Supplement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-18, 06:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I should mention that whey protein supplements come with a scoop, which usually gives one 25-30g protein. That amount, because AFAIK that's the max protein load the body can absorb at any one time without just turning it into fat. However there's no need to max out on protein supplements. They just want you to use as much of the stuff as possible. So if you're not just coming back from a 6 hour ride or have spent 3 hours in the gym, use a bit less of the stuff.
Old 01-05-18, 06:24 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
We didn't enjoy the beef crumbles as much but the chicken is pretty good!

It is very filling too. Two flour tortillas didn't help but I ate well and can honestly say that I am stuffed, more so than I've been since I started to loose weight mid December. Maybe this stuff stuff expands in the stomach after eating? MFP says that I'm still below 1900 calories for the day but it sure doesn't feel like it.

I noticed Halo Top in the store the other day too. You are going to run my bank account down if you keep posting this stuff.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 01-05-18 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-05-18, 06:53 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
@Daniel4

1 calorie = the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 ml of water by 1* C.

1 "food calorie" = 1,000 "science calories."

Sometimes you'll see that distinguished as kCal or as calorie vs Calorie.
I guess the question for Beyond Meat is why they are listing the science calories on a package for food?

I'm also guessing this may be one factor in which calorie counters can't lose weight. When they measure 1kcal burned on the treadmill they would think they had burnt 1000 food calories.

If everything were in Joules it would make more sense.
Old 01-05-18, 07:08 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Nobody has mentioned Halo Top yet.

I think a pint is in the ballpark of 20g of protein. Tastes mostly like iced cream - let it sit outside of the freezer for a few minutes before you eat any - but also a little bit like a protein bar.

Here's the macro breakdown.

I think the reason why there is such a diference in macros between the two is because Haagen-Dazs has real natural ingredients while HALO is just a chemical soup with minimal natural ingredients.
Old 01-05-18, 07:25 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I should mention that whey protein supplements come with a scoop, which usually gives one 25-30g protein. That amount, because AFAIK that's the max protein load the body can absorb at any one time without just turning it into fat.

The max amount of protein that a human body can absorb is a hotly debated topic...There are too many variables in life and it's impossible to determine how much protein a person can absorb at any given time...I am pretty sure that one of these days the researchers are going to backtrack on what they said and change the numbers from 25-30g to 50-60g.
Old 01-05-18, 09:24 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I think the reason why there is such a diference in macros between the two is because Haagen-Dazs has real natural ingredients while HALO is just a chemical soup with minimal natural ingredients.
It's real cream, real chocolate, real bread in the cake one. It's just the sugar substitute that's not a usual ingredient. You were saying people eat too many carbs though.
Old 01-05-18, 10:00 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Anyone drinking Fairlife milk? They claim the fat free version has 50% more protein, 30% more calcium and 50% less sugar than regular milk. al milk. Pricey but I drink a lot of it.

-Tim-
Old 01-06-18, 12:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, some yogurts. Oikos Triple Zero seems good. I've eaten it with Better Oats Steel Cut high protein oatmeal and a banana before most rides the past few months. Occasionally I'll try other yogurts but those don't have as much protein.

Per 8 oz
Calories 170
Protein 22 g
Fat 0
Sugars 8 g (although the label says "No added sugar")

So, the yogurt has about the same values as the pea-based protein powders I've tried, better tasting, more pleasant texture, and probably about the same cost per unit of nutrients. And despite my problem with lactose intolerance with some dairy products, I don't have any trouble with reasonable amounts of yogurt.
Old 01-06-18, 07:46 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Anyone drinking Fairlife milk? They claim the fat free version has 50% more protein, 30% more calcium and 50% less sugar than regular milk. al milk. Pricey but I drink a lot of it.

-Tim-

I would recommend using yogurt or kefir instead of milk...and choose full-fat dairy it's a lot healthier than fat-free...Why do you think nature designed milk to be full of fat ??, it's because our bodies need fat to be healthy...

TIME Weight Loss Guide | Time.com
Old 01-06-18, 09:36 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
The max amount of protein that a human body can absorb is a hotly debated topic...There are too many variables in life and it's impossible to determine how much protein a person can absorb at any given time...I am pretty sure that one of these days the researchers are going to backtrack on what they said and change the numbers from 25-30g to 50-60g.
Looking around, I see what you mean. For example there's this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3595342/
Extrapolation of the FSR response to the conclusion that there is a maximal amount of protein in a meal that can stimulate net protein anabolism is not justified. In our opinion, the preponderance of evidence indicates that the more protein in a meal, the more anabolism will be observed. This perspective is supported by a recent publication in this journal (22) in which consumption of 80% of the 1.5 gram protein/kg BW/day in a single meal was more anabolic than spreading the same amount of protein intake throughout the day.
The study says there's a straight line response between protein quantity in one meal and anabolism, with seemingly no upper limit.

I thought there was a "Protein timing" thread on here somewhen, but I can't find it.
Old 01-06-18, 03:49 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

I would recommend using yogurt or kefir instead of milk...and choose full-fat dairy it's a lot healthier than fat-free...Why do you think nature designed milk to be full of fat ??, it's because our bodies need fat to be healthy...

TIME Weight Loss Guide | Time.com

I'm not drinking low fat/non fat milk for weight loss. I have high cholesterol.

The suggestion is appreciated but my diet has enough fat anyway. Most western diets have way too much fat and/or the wrong kinds of fat.

Fairlife is good stuff. You should try it.

-Tim-
Old 01-06-18, 06:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

I noticed Halo Top in the store the other day too. You are going to run my bank account down if you keep posting this stuff.
Don't worry, I'm pretty much out of tricks. I mean, I could tell you to eat beans and drink milk, but you already know that.
Old 01-06-18, 06:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

I always choose the full fat version. Stopped at a grocery on the way home from skiing today, all they had was non-fat yogurt, how disappointing.

I don't know if it's healthier or not, but I enjoy it a lot more. I have a big tub of yogurt every morning for breakfast, the difference between 0% and 4% for one meal isn't that many calories.

And, like you say, fat is essential for a lot of things our bodies do.
Old 01-06-18, 06:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

From everything I've read, it's my understanding that you can only digest ~30 g of protein at a time, but you don't poop the rest out, you hold onto it and digest it when you're able to.

We evolved from people who hunted and gathered, went through periods of feast and famine. They probably ate as much meat as they could when they killed something. It makes sense that we'd have a mechanism to deal with this.
Old 01-07-18, 06:00 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Pretty good. My daughter really enjoyed it.

Holding a pint each of Halo Top and Ben & Jerry's, one in each hand and the container of Halo Top is noticeably lighter.

Walmart has it on rollback.

-Tim-
Old 01-08-18, 09:30 AM
Seattle Forrest

@TimothyH,

One more thing occurred to me to share.

I don't know if you go bikepacking in season or not, but it looks like you're set up to be able to. If so:

Prefer hard plastic cases over cardboard.
Old 01-08-18, 10:00 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Yeah, I've heard lots of push back on this idea as well.

Logically, it certainly seems like humans (or other animals if it applies to them as well) would struggle if this were true, as many hunter-gatherer type societies eat infrequent, but large, amounts of protein. Even intermittent fasting would cause you to be protein deficient if this were the case.

Having said that, it may well be true. I certainly don't know enough to comment intelligently on the matter (which of course doesn't stop me from commenting).
Old 01-08-18, 10:05 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
From everything I've read, it's my understanding that you can only digest ~30 g of protein at a time, but you don't poop the rest out, you hold onto it and digest it when you're able to.

We evolved from people who hunted and gathered, went through periods of feast and famine. They probably ate as much meat as they could when they killed something. It makes sense that we'd have a mechanism to deal with this.
Ha! I guess I should have read all the posts before I responded...
Old 01-08-18, 04:43 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty good. My daughter really enjoyed it.

Holding a pint each of Halo Top and Ben & Jerry's, one in each hand and the container of Halo Top is noticeably lighter.

Walmart has it on rollback.

-Tim-
I find the original, lower-calorie flavors are not so great, in fact some of them can be pretty gross. It's a texture thing, due to having much less/cream fat and substituting milk protein (eg casein/whey) to make up for it. Those early flavors like vanilla and chocolate are too hard when fully frozen, with a chalky texture. And if you let them set out to soften a bit, they start to get slimy.

Some of the newer flavors are much better, they seem to have fixed the texture problem. They have more calories, usually 320 or 360 per pint, but that's still less than half what most regular ice creams have. My favorites are the Sea Salt Caramel and Candy Bar. My wife like a lot more of their flavors than I do.
Old 01-09-18, 04:58 PM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually what the current research shows is it varies... basically what I tell patients is the amount of the palm of their hands 3-4 times a day or more (high protein diet). the important thing is extra protein just becomes extra kcal... and protein is part of satiety.
Old 01-13-18, 03:04 PM
Eyedrop

Bikes: 1999 Trek 2000T 47cm, 2017 Ribble R872 Ultegra Di2 47cm, 2010 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 15.5in

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone has valid points that relate to their journey, and Id like to share my opinion.

I feel that worrying about protein and restricting calories may not be the healthiest or most sustainable diet long term. While you can lose body fat using this method, I feel its more important to look at health holistically and the weight loss will follow if you are consistent and patient.

Cravings for food are a sign of a fast metabolism, which to some people can be a good thing for weightloss, recovery, and fitness. Its also a sign of your body telling you what you need. If Im craving fats, carbs, or protein, I eat accordingly. I dont worry about counting the numbers or following a plan.

I do think the most important thing is being genuinely strict about the quality of foods you are eating. Be strictly objective and realize there are usually better options than oils, sugars, meat, dairy, etc... Yes, you can eat these types of foods sometimes. But be careful not to kid yourself when the wife is cooking your vegetables to death in oils, or doubling up on the saturated fats in your morning breakfast.

Dont get wrapped up in articles claiming red wine, olive oil, butter, and coffee are good for you when there are clearly healthier options. You dont have to be a nazi about it, but just be mindful and fairly strict about the level quality your actually getting. Preparation of these health foods is key. You have to remember that these meals arent meant to be gourmet unless you really know how to cook. Part of the reason restaurant food tastes so good is they load everything up with oil, salt, animal products, and sugar. These are things that should be treated as a delicacy. Just my opinion.

Having said that, supplements arent really the best case scenario for getting nutrition. Real food that is closest to its natural state as possible is always the most nutrient dense.

I tend to eat cheap, easy, healthy things. The Vitamix has been key to getting the nutrition I need throughout the day, before rides, after rides, etc... I load the thing with produce, oats, seeds, and vegan milks and flip the button. Its really hard to go wrong that way IMO. Cooked meals are usually done in the rice cooker with steamed veggies, beans, whatever. At the end of the day, I figure that as long as Im not hungry, I probably got a nice variety of foods and plenty of protein to sustain myself healthfully, while taking less risk of heart disease, cancers, and wasting money on supplements that may or may not be of quality.

What is your opinion on my method, and is there anything to add or constructive criticisms that I may be missing?

Last edited by Eyedrop; 01-13-18 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 05:59 PM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
real food is best.. if you are trying to lose weight- a recent study showed high fiber to be more important to that than high protein or high/low carb (other popular trends). Making sure you are getting a mixed diet of protein/carbs/fats is also important along with all the micronutrients as well
Old 01-13-18, 07:21 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
So I can take my meals as steamed veggies and blended produce, seeds and vegan milks. Avoid red wine, butter, olive oil, coffee and limit meats.

Sounds great

Sorry but your post reads like a bunch of feel good nonsense by someone who hasn't struggled with any sort of diet or eating issues before. Nor has tried to take their body to the peak of individual athletic performance.
Old 01-13-18, 09:24 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

I started this thread to make sure I was getting enough protein as lost weight. That's all.

By "dieting" I mean watching what I eat - portion control, not eating before bed, cut out some very fatty high calorie foods such as peanut butter and cheese and so forth. Common sense stuff.

By "Calorie restricted" I mean eating an appropriate amount of calories rather than overeating calories, that's all.

I was close to 200 lb on Dec 14 and have lost 12 lb in under 30 days. I just wanted to make sure I was getting enough protein during weight loss. It isn't a big deal and there is no fad diet.

-Tim-
Old 01-14-18, 02:15 AM
Eyedrop

Bikes: 1999 Trek 2000T 47cm, 2017 Ribble R872 Ultegra Di2 47cm, 2010 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 15.5in

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
So I can take my meals as steamed veggies and blended produce, seeds and vegan milks. Avoid red wine, butter, olive oil, coffee and limit meats.

Sounds great

Sorry but your post reads like a bunch of feel good nonsense by someone who hasn't struggled with any sort of diet or eating issues before. Nor has tried to take their body to the peak of individual athletic performance.
What diet do you suggest for someone who is struggling with an eating disorder, or trying to optimize performance? How important do you feel protein is in the grand scheme of things, and is there an objective number I should be hitting that will give me tangible improvements in my recovery/performance? Am I selling myself short by not counting?

I am interested in peak performance and am open to suggestions and debate rather than just straight criticism of me or my post without adding relevant info to the discussion.

And for the record, I struggled with junk food addiction for a few years until I got addicted to road cycling and funnily enough, have been attempting to take my body to peak performance. I studied and tried different things and found whats worked for me, which seems to keep the weight off and put my bloodwork back in check.

And its not like im grinding my way through it all and craving junk all the time. I simply choose not to eat these things because I care about performance and health more than the 15 minutes of tastebud pleasure eating a Big Mac wrapped in lettuce with a diet coke and taking a powder supplement. The rare times I do eat junk, my body is sure to remind me its just not worth it. By eating truly healthy and keeping topped up on food, I find myself almost never craving junk foods. I do have to be careful because the frequent eating, fast burning plant foods, and exercise keep my metabolism super high. If I dont have access to the right foods when I get hungry, I will crave the salt, sugar, and fat.

This is just my individual experience. YMMV. I would love to hear your experience as well. Thanks.

Last edited by Eyedrop; 01-14-18 at 02:32 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.