Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Can ‘bicycle-to-vehicle’ communication help make cycling safer?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Can ‘bicycle-to-vehicle’ communication help make cycling safer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 05:11 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
Trek Bicycles and Tome Software working with Ford to alert drivers when cyclists are nearby
By Andrew J. Hawkins@andyjayhawk Jan 9, 2018, 4:36pm EST

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/9/16...ation-ces-2018

Excerpt:
"....Tome has partnered with Trek Bicycle to create an AI-based bicycle-to-vehicle (B2V) communication system to help drivers get alerts to bicycles ahead in dangerous areas of the road...."
Nowadays new cars are coming up with all sorts of warning systems designed for the standard bad driver in mind. There's the forward collision warning, the lane departure alert and steering assist, and blind spot detection and warning. Next will have to be a bicycle, pedestrian and unexpected obstacle alert warning. That's phase 1.

Phase 2 will have to have the car take control so the driver will not be allowed to tail-gate, swerve or rage against other road users when these alarms go off.

When that works. We'll be on our way to self-driving cars.
Old 01-14-18, 05:16 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4372 Post(s)
Liked 1,551 Times in 1,016 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Stone
That is my experience also - 99.9% of drivers I encounter are friendly and/or non-aggressive. The few that are "honkers" or swerve out of their lane to terrorize me clearly do it on purpose. Something like this happens probably once every 18 months or so, if that. Why would you think my point of view is "skewed"?
How many accidents have you had from aggressive behavior? "Bad situations" are primarily those the end in injuries, not hurt feelings.

Don't get me wrong, honking sucks. But it isn't the most dangerous thing that happens.
Old 01-15-18, 05:01 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Nowadays new cars are coming up with all sorts of warning systems designed for the standard bad driver in mind. There's the forward collision warning, the lane departure alert and steering assist, and blind spot detection and warning. Next will have to be a bicycle, pedestrian and unexpected obstacle alert warning. That's phase 1.

Phase 2 will have to have the car take control so the driver will not be allowed to tail-gate, swerve or rage against other road users when these alarms go off.

When that works. We'll be on our way to self-driving cars.
I'm telling everyone, whenever the subject comes up, that "Rumble Strips" are obsolete, and rather than destroy good pavement with them , just buy a car with "Lane Departure Warning".

I agree, the self driving cars are coming along , they are in just a couple of years we will see them.
Old 01-16-18, 07:48 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I'm telling everyone, whenever the subject comes up, that "Rumble Strips" are obsolete, and rather than destroy good pavement with them , just buy a car with "Lane Departure Warning".

I agree, the self driving cars are coming along , they are in just a couple of years we will see them.
Perhaps the biggest issue with those fancy new features on modern cars... one has to "engage" them before they work.

My wife expressed dismay that her 2016 Mazda3 wasn't warning her about adjacent lane traffic... I pointed out she had to use the turn signals, so the car would know she wanted to change lanes. I also pointed out that the yellow warning symbols STILL appeared in the side mirrors... if she bothered to look.

The new cars that have these features, generally have a way to turn them off, or expect you to engage them... by doing something like "use a turn signal."

Poor drivers can still drive poorly in a smart car.
Old 01-16-18, 08:53 AM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by genec
Perhaps the biggest issue with those fancy new features on modern cars... one has to "engage" them before they work.

My wife expressed dismay that her 2016 Mazda3 wasn't warning her about adjacent lane traffic... I pointed out she had to use the turn signals, so the car would know she wanted to change lanes. I also pointed out that the yellow warning symbols STILL appeared in the side mirrors... if she bothered to look.

The new cars that have these features, generally have a way to turn them off, or expect you to engage them... by doing something like "use a turn signal."

Poor drivers can still drive poorly in a smart car.
Yes, that's true-for now. But just like the daytime running light, those warnings and alerts will eventually be automatically on when the engine or motor is turned on.
Old 01-16-18, 10:41 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Yes, that's true-for now. But just like the daytime running light, those warnings and alerts will eventually be automatically on when the engine or motor is turned on.
I have a 2010 Chrysler and I have to turn the daytime running lights on manually, and the marker lights have to be on , and btw, they're called "fog lights" on this car, but they're near the ground , below the regular headlights. DRL's are actually based on motorcycle lights, now everyone has lights on in the daytime.
Old 01-16-18, 10:42 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see your point. But there are a lot of "safety" accessories, that cost money or may be difficult to find locally...
Your argument could be used against lights, reflectors, or reflective vests.
The difference is that we can justify having others depend on lights and reflectors to see cyclists at night - we can't justify having anyone depend on transponders to know a cyclist is there. Humans can see if they look where they're going and if cyclists ride where motorists are going and therefore looking... (but I digress).

<snip>
Maybe The transponder will be necessary for Self-Driving Cars to work effectively?
We shall see.
We already can see. Today's technology can already identify cyclists reliably. Tomorrow's will work even better. The whole transponder idea is a ridiculous red herring.
Old 01-16-18, 10:45 AM
hotbike

Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
The difference is that we can justify having others depend on lights and reflectors to see cyclists at night - we can't justify having anyone depend on transponders to know a cyclist is there. Humans can see if they look where they're going and if cyclists ride where motorists are going and therefore looking... (but I digress).

We already can see. Today's technology can already identify cyclists reliably. Tomorrow's will work even better. The whole transponder idea is a ridiculous red herring.
I still *want* a transponder for my Bike , so I know when a CAR is coming...
Old 01-16-18, 11:02 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I still *want* a transponder for my Bike , so I know when a CAR is coming...
If you can't tell a car is coming "the old-fashioned way", bicycling might not be for you.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-17-18, 02:16 PM
hotbike

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
If you can't tell a car is coming "the old-fashioned way", bicycling might not be for you.
No, I prefer the newfangled gadgets , the rear-view mirror and the tiny video camera. The "old-fashioned way" involves craning your neck, which you can't do with displaced vertebrae ...
Old 01-17-18, 06:00 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

No, I prefer the newfangled gadgets , the rear-view mirror and the tiny video camera. The "old-fashioned way" involves craning your neck, which you can't do with displaced vertebrae ...
What's "newfangled" about mirrors?
RUSA #7498
Old 01-18-18, 09:36 AM
hotbike

What's "newfangled" about mirrors?
The bar end mirrors, which are convex enough to see two or three lanes, did not exist prior to 1994.
Okay, there were those chrome mirrors , I tried , but the tin piece keeps getting crushed flatter and flatter every time you tighten it, and you need to carry a wrench to re-tighten those every time you hit a bump,
and you can only see your pants zipper, your fly, you can NOT actually see if there's a car behind you... with those "Old fashioned" mirrors.
Old 01-18-18, 11:16 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

The bar end mirrors, which are convex enough to see two or three lanes, did not exist prior to 1994.
Okay, there were those chrome mirrors , I tried , but the tin piece keeps getting crushed flatter and flatter every time you tighten it, and you need to carry a wrench to re-tighten those every time you hit a bump,
and you can only see your pants zipper, your fly, you can NOT actually see if there's a car behind you... with those "Old fashioned" mirrors.
My 1970s-technology helmet mirror does the job just fine. It's hard for me to consider anything developed before my time "new-fangled."

I'll bet if you got your wish for transponders in every vehicle, the amount of squitter from all the nearby vehicles would drive you insane in very short order. Thankfully, I don't see it happening before autonomous vehicles replace most of the human drivers. They are already wicked-good at knowing where all the cyclists and pedestrians are without tracking devices. And they're not going to space out on their cellphones either.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-18-18, 11:28 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
I dunno, my old fashioned cheap chrome mirror with a cheap clamping mechanism works just fine without constant tightening or adjustment.

Perhaps you should tighten the clamp correctly the first time and try not to keep dropping your bicycle on the ground on the mirror side. Maybe Cycling Savvy offers a course on how to use a mirror without all the drama!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (732.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 01-19-18, 08:34 AM
Daniel4

I don't see it happening before autonomous vehicles replace most of the human drivers. They are already wicked-good at knowing where all the cyclists and pedestrians are without tracking devices..
I'm not sure who you are referring as "wicked-good". Currently, human drivers are the cause of 6000 to 8000 pedestrian and cyclist deaths a year across the USA. I hope you don't think that's good enough because there's certainly room for improvement.
Old 01-19-18, 10:53 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

I'm not sure who you are referring as "wicked-good". Currently, human drivers are the cause of 6000 to 8000 pedestrian and cyclist deaths a year across the USA. I hope you don't think that's good enough because there's certainly room for improvement.
I meant autonomous driving systems, of course. I am 100% in favor of getting distracted, drunk, stupid, and/or angry people out from behind the wheel.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-19-18, 11:59 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
As far as road rage, "hands-free" driving will just allow motorists to more easily reach for their guns, load them (if not already) and aim better at other drivers.
Old 01-19-18, 12:13 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
As far as road rage, "hands-free" driving will just allow motorists to more easily reach for their guns, load them (if not already) and aim better at other drivers.
To the extent that there is a serious point underlying this statement, it should be noted that drivers of vehicles are far more prone to road rage than are passengers. And in a self-driving car everyone is a passenger. It's far less annoying, much less enraging, to be delayed while a passenger than while actively driving.

Last edited by Ninety5rpm; 01-19-18 at 12:19 PM. Reason: quoted correct post this time!
Old 01-19-18, 12:15 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

To the extent that there is a serious point underlying this statement, it should be noted that drivers of vehicles are far more prone to road rage than are passengers. And in a self-driving car everyone is a passenger. It's far less annoying, much less enraging, to be delayed while a passenger than while actively driving.
Did you mean to quote @BobbyG? Some people's minds go to dark places quickly, don't they?
RUSA #7498
Old 01-19-18, 12:27 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I wasn't serious, but you do bring up a good point.

Did you mean to quote @BobbyG? Some people's minds go to dark places quickly, don't they?
I wasn't serious, but yes, I guess my mind went there.
Old 01-19-18, 02:19 PM
hotbike

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I dunno, my old fashioned cheap chrome mirror with a cheap clamping mechanism works just fine without constant tightening or adjustment.

Perhaps you should tighten the clamp correctly the first time and try not to keep dropping your bicycle on the ground on the mirror side. Maybe Cycling Savvy offers a course on how to use a mirror without all the drama!
That's Not chrome , that's red plastic. You've got something newer than what I was referring to.