Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Foot Pain

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-18, 11:50 AM
JMM93

Bikes: Felt F55x Cross, Stumpjumper FSR 29 Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Foot Pain

I have had a recurring foot pain problem during physical activity. I noticed this when playing soccer years ago. The ball of by foot, usually towards the smaller toes, goes numb, tingly, and feels very painful. This happens on the bike as well. About 30-45 minutes into a ride my foot goes numb.

When I get off the bike, and take my shoe off, I bend my toes and have the equivalent of a knuckle pop. Within a minute I can feel my toes again and I can go back to riding for a while before it goes numb again.

Things I have tried:
New bike shoes
cleat position
Shoe tightness and looseness
Saddle position
Thicker socks
Thinner socks
Massage tools on foot before and after ride

I am considering going to the doctor/PT, but I know they don't always know. Do any of you have this problem or any solutions?

Thanks!
Old 01-18-18, 12:28 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
A Bike fit will help, do you know if your feet pronate? Wedges might help move the load to the inside of the foot if the shoe fits well otherwise
Old 01-18-18, 04:03 PM
JMM93

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by redlude97
A Bike fit will help, do you know if your feet pronate? Wedges might help move the load to the inside of the foot if the shoe fits well otherwise
Never had a pro bike fit. Maybe it's time. Although, this issue happens when I run and play soccer so I'm not sure if it is the fit. No idea if my feet pronate. Maybe it's time to find a podiatrist.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01-18-18, 09:35 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I doubt it has anything to do with fit. Google "metatarsalgia". You could try over-the-counter metatarsal pads. Dr. Scholls even has them.
Old 01-18-18, 09:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I doubt it has anything to do with fit. Google "metatarsalgia". You could try over-the-counter metatarsal pads. Dr. Scholls even has them.
+1, given that the OP had the same problem before he got into cycling, it's safe to assume that it's him and not the bike. Of course activity may bring on the inflammation, but look to the foot itself and/or maybe the shoes.

I suggest you try the Dr. Scholls in the hope of a cheap, simple fix. Otherwise a Podiatrist may be your best bet.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-18-18, 10:12 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by FBinNY
+1, given that the OP had the same problem before he got into cycling, it's safe to assume that it's him and not the bike. Of course activity may bring on the inflammation, but look to the foot itself and/or maybe the shoes.

I suggest you try the Dr. Scholls in the hope of a cheap, simple fix. Otherwise a Podiatrist may be your best bet.
Yes, right, shoes. IIRC, Specialized BG bike shoes can be fitted with their special insoles with a metatarsal pad built in.
Old 01-19-18, 01:48 AM
ModeratedUser17082018

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Podiatrist. More than one if necessary. It's probably a simple fix. Start out optimistic - there's always time for cynicism later .
Old 01-19-18, 09:50 AM
JMM93

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks! I'm fairly certain this is what the problem is. Thanks you so much!
Likes For JMM93:
Old 01-19-18, 11:34 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I asked about a bike fit because it usually includes a foot/shoe assessment and a discussion about wedges/insoles, glad to see he might have found a solution from your rec
Old 01-19-18, 12:12 PM
JMM93

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So much of this seems to be actually understanding what the problem is called to look for appropriate solutions. Everyone I asked in person said it was plantar fasciitis. I think metatarsalgia describes this better. I am looking into some pads to put into my shoes for now on the cheap and if that doesn't work I'll be booking a doctor visit.

Can't say enough how much I appreciate the time people take to give suggestions!

Ride on.
Old 01-23-18, 09:52 AM
JMM93

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A quick update:

I checked on my cleat position again. Moved them to the closest position down, towards the heel, and this seemed to really help. I think I might have read somewhere about cleat position needing to be centered up on the ball of the foot but clearly that doesn't work for me. It still hurts in the same place when I run though, so I am going to try some pads or other inserts. Thanks again!
Old 01-24-18, 01:45 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by JMM93
A quick update:

I checked on my cleat position again. Moved them to the closest position down, towards the heel, and this seemed to really help. I think I might have read somewhere about cleat position needing to be centered up on the ball of the foot but clearly that doesn't work for me. It still hurts in the same place when I run though, so I am going to try some pads or other inserts. Thanks again!
The usual recommendation for foot issues, like hot foot, is to put the cleats back as far as they can go toward the heel.
Old 01-26-18, 06:29 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might want to look up Morton's neuroma also. And see a doc. Do you wear shoes that allow your toes to splay naturally and not crunched together (most shoes tend to press the toes together into a rounded non-foot-shaped toebox so I guess that was somewhat rhetorical). Despite their popularity, shoes cause so many problems to the foot.
Old 01-27-18, 07:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by JMM93
A quick update:

Same for me when I rode with toe clips and cleated shoes years ago. The conventional wisdom didn't work for me -- centering the ball of the foot over the pedal axle. I'd get cramps in my arches, etc. I already have enough problems with painful foot cramps while sleeping, so I'm not going to risk aggravating anything with bike riding.

After using only platform pedals the past couple of years I notice I prefer the range between the ball of the foot and middle of the arch centered over the pedal spindle. Especially for climbing and standing out of the saddle.

I'm installing clipless pedals on the road bike this weekend, so I'm starting out with the cleats nearly fully back toward the heel.

Might differ for folks with shorter feet and toes, wider feet, etc. Mine are long and very narrow with very long toes.
Old 01-28-18, 01:10 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to get that ball-of-foot pain that seemed to match with symtoms of Morton's Neuroma. Seems I have pretty high arches, and need a lot of support. I ended up getting custom insoles from Arch Crafter's that have integrated metatarsel pad and plenty of arch support. Foot pain problems completely went away. They're kinda pricey compared to drugstore insoles, but probably a lot less expensive that going to a podiatrist and they work for me. Might be worth a try. I also use them in my hiking shoes, as I would get the same pain during long hikes.

I also agree with others comments that ball of foot over the pedal spindle may not be ideal for many people; for me moving the cleats a bit further back from that seems both more comfortable and more powerful.
Old 01-29-18, 08:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Follow up to my previous post...

I finally got a chance to try the new-to-me Look pedals and shoes Sunday. Only rode 23 miles but including some challenging hilly bits that often cause cramps in my arches.

So far, so good. The Scott shoes are rated number 7 for stiffness, which feels plenty stiff to me. No hotspots, no cramps. Felt like plenty of support between the pedal, cleats and stiff shoe soles.

About 7 miles into the ride I stopped to raise the seat post a bit (I'd forgotten to compensate for the thicker soles/cleats), and to move the cleats back. So far I prefer the Look delta style cleats fully back. If anything I'd prefer them even a little farther back, but that's not an option.

The main difference I'm noticing is when standing to climb my feet are pointed more downward so I'm not placing my full weight on the flat part of the foot sole or arches. That's probably a good thing. With practice I'll regain the feel for spinning in circles rather than mashing.

Only thing I'm not crazy about so far is the floating cleats. I may eventually switch to zero float or cleats with less float. Nine degrees feels like way too much, like I'm slipping all over the dang place. I want to preserve my knees but I'm thinking about half that much float would probably be enough for me.

Before, using platforms and soft-soled Merrell cycling/walking shoes, I'd already been experiencing foot cramps on nearly every ride the past month or so, and even at night while trying to sleep. Last week I hopped out of bed a few times in the middle of the night to stretch the arch, only to have the cramp move to the top of the foot, then back again when I stretched the opposite direction.

When that happens while riding, it ain't fun. Especially climbing or sprinting with other riders behind me.

A couple of weeks ago my arches kept spasming so badly I had to signal a panic stop and pulled over to nearly flop on the grass. A friend thought I'd crashed but I just hollered for her to keep going, I was fine, just cramps.

With luck that won't happen again!

Originally Posted by canklecat
Same for me when I rode with toe clips and cleated shoes years ago. The conventional wisdom didn't work for me -- centering the ball of the foot over the pedal axle. I'd get cramps in my arches, etc. I already have enough problems with painful foot cramps while sleeping, so I'm not going to risk aggravating anything with bike riding.

After using only platform pedals the past couple of years I notice I prefer the range between the ball of the foot and middle of the arch centered over the pedal spindle. Especially for climbing and standing out of the saddle.

I'm installing clipless pedals on the road bike this weekend, so I'm starting out with the cleats nearly fully back toward the heel.

Might differ for folks with shorter feet and toes, wider feet, etc. Mine are long and very narrow with very long toes.
Old 01-30-18, 11:04 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
On leg/foot cramps, I've mostly solved the problem. I seldom get cramps any more but always carry a few anti-cramp tablets in a small baggy just in case. https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-leg-cra...5?skuId=711635
Old 02-19-18, 01:50 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked 4,527 Times in 3,029 Posts
Dupuytrens contracture feet aka Ledderhose disease in both of my feet had my right foot operated on 8 years ago. After about 3 hours on my bike my left foot starts to hurt so a take break and take off my cycling shoes for a few minutes and that usually takes care of the discomfort. I realize foot pain is different for each person I can only say what has worked for me. Some comfortable socks has helped.
Old 02-19-18, 03:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Follow up to my previous post...<snip>

Only thing I'm not crazy about so far is the floating cleats. I may eventually switch to zero float or cleats with less float. Nine degrees feels like way too much, like I'm slipping all over the dang place. I want to preserve my knees but I'm thinking about half that much float would probably be enough for me.<snip>
You'll probably get used to it quite quickly. Very few riders benefit from restricted float. I ride standard float SPD pedals and cleats, which float is much more than I need. My feet never come up against the end of the float. Therefore I could ride Speedplays without noticing the difference except for the in and out. See what I'm saying? Feels a little weird to start with but doesn't affect performance or cause RSI. Just angle your feet like you would on platforms and pedal.
Old 02-19-18, 03:32 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

You'll probably get used to it quite quickly. Very few riders benefit from restricted float. I ride standard float SPD pedals and cleats, which float is much more than I need. My feet never come up against the end of the float. Therefore I could ride Speedplays without noticing the difference except for the in and out. See what I'm saying? Feels a little weird to start with but doesn't affect performance or cause RSI. Just angle your feet like you would on platforms and pedal.
Yup, I got accustomed to the float after a few rides. Getting comfortable with clipless in traffic took a bit longer than getting used to the float.

I'd prefer a little more friction/traction, which I get with toe covers on cool rides. I suppose the cleats and/or pedal could be modified slightly to add some grip -- a bit of tape or something.

But I am liking being able to adjust my foot position as needed depending on how my knees feel. Some rides, the right knee seems to prefer my right foot a bit pigeon-toed; other days straight ahead.

Still can't say I'm seeing any difference in overall speed, but that's hard to judge with our very windy conditions recently. And my strength isn't back after a long bout with flu. But the rigid shoes did solve the foot cramping problem. And I like not having to constantly resettle my feet, bouncing around on rough pavement.
Old 02-19-18, 03:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by berner
On leg/foot cramps, I've mostly solved the problem. I seldom get cramps any more but always carry a few anti-cramp tablets in a small baggy just in case. https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-leg-cra...5?skuId=711635
I'm usually wary of homeopathic or "natural" remedies, particularly those that contain multiple ingredients, because they're virtually unregulated and seldom inspected.

But a quick peek at the ingredients in that CVS potion for leg cramps reveals a few ingredients that have been studied by medical researchers, including cinchona from which quinine is derived. But I'd still prefer to take one ingredient at a time and evaluate the efficacy. I'm not sure I'd want to take a multi-ingredient remedy that includes one or more ingredients that affect my blood pressure.

Coincidentally I've tried tonic water containing quinine for the muscle cramps, but it's so diluted I'd probably need to drink a quart a day to feel any relief. Regulations and tastes forced bottlers to dilute the quinine in most countries, so it's not the same concentration as the stuff used to treat malaria decades ago. But apparently more concentrated quinine is available.
Old 02-19-18, 04:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Yup, I got accustomed to the float after a few rides. Getting comfortable with clipless in traffic took a bit longer than getting used to the float.

I'd prefer a little more friction/traction, which I get with toe covers on cool rides. I suppose the cleats and/or pedal could be modified slightly to add some grip -- a bit of tape or something.

But I am liking being able to adjust my foot position as needed depending on how my knees feel. Some rides, the right knee seems to prefer my right foot a bit pigeon-toed; other days straight ahead.

Still can't say I'm seeing any difference in overall speed, but that's hard to judge with our very windy conditions recently. And my strength isn't back after a long bout with flu. But the rigid shoes did solve the foot cramping problem. And I like not having to constantly resettle my feet, bouncing around on rough pavement.
You probably won't see speed increases, not at least any time soon. However as you learn to pedal with the clipless, your endurance will gradually increase. Practice pushing forward at the top, not pushing on the way down, pulling back at the bottom, and unweighting or much decreasing the weight on the upstroke. Try concentrating on just one quadrant at a time to start with. Using more muscles in the legs spreads out the strain. You're still limited in speed by aerobics, but your legs last longer. Maybe eventually speed increases a little.

A good way to get the feel of it is to gear down into a very low gear on flat ground and pedal as fast as you can without bouncing on the saddle. Hold that for as long as you can. Feet flat, cushion of air under the foot, pedal with the upper, relaxed feet and ankles, experiment with when to fire which muscles. Couldn't do that with platforms.
Old 02-19-18, 04:34 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Yup, I have noticed a bit more stamina. I've been concentrating on pedaling technique, and I seem to have a bit more in the tank after climbs. Helps to spread the load out among the leg muscles, or to be able to pull up when my quads are shot.

During a group ride last week I had a sudden bout of painful spasms in my thighs on a climb and was able to finish the segment without stopping by pulling up a bit on the pedals.

On previous rides when I had spasms in my feet or thighs I had to pull over for a few moments, which is tricky on group rides when someone is behind me. Gotta pull over as quickly as possible without endangering the person following me.

With the clipless pedals I'm having fewer spasms, and those I do experience are shorter in duration. Presumably it's enabling me to distribute the effort more evenly.