Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Where can I go to build a frame?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-18, 10:03 PM
JohnFyf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't have the tools or equipment to do it, I can buy the materials needed although and I have a software to design a frame. What I'm using is linkage X3.

I live in Kankakee Illinois, I can't seem to find any places that can do this. One of my questions is, would it be cheaper having a custom frame built? What if I learn how to braze and do all the labor myself with renting the equipment needed, will it be cheaper?
Old 01-21-18, 02:40 AM
prototoast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would recommend taking one of the many framebuilding classes offered throughout the country. A few that I know of (but by no means an exhaustive list) are:

UBI: https://www.bikeschool.com/
Bohemian: Bicycle framebuilding school
Yamaguchi: https://www.yamaguchibike.com/content/School
Brew: Bicycle Frame Building Classes - BREW Bikes LLC

These classes are all different lengths and costs, but in general they have all the tools and materials you need, and they provide you with the enough guidance that you should finish the course with your own custom bicycle you made yourself.

Ignoring travel and the value of your time, these classes generally cost about the same as having someone else build a custom bicycle for you. If all you want is a custom bicycle, just buy one. If you want to be able to make your own bicycle, taking a class will get you there a lot faster than trying to figure it out on your own.
Old 01-21-18, 07:12 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
It sounds like you want to build a linkage driven, full suspension for your first frame. I think you are going to be on your own with that endeavour and the cost will be high. You will need to have a machine shop make whatever linkages you have designed. You will also need to have fixtures for the rear end and suspension pivot locations, in addition to the normal fixture used for building a hardtail frame. Unless you are already an experienced metal fabricator, it is not going to go well.

There are custom builders that do full suspension frames, but I doubt any of them will want to build something that someone else designed.
Old 01-21-18, 08:16 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,697 Times in 2,518 Posts
I am also somewhat skeptical about this as a first frame. But what you need to do is to find a well-equipped makerspace. On edit: after you go to a school would be best. Even with that, I'm pretty sure it will cost more to build than buy. Of course, production mtb are really amazing nowadays. Hard to beat their expertise.

Last edited by unterhausen; 01-21-18 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-21-18, 08:52 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Years ago most students that took one of my framebuilding classes did so because they wanted to make something for themselves instead of buying it. Now the majority want to learn how so they can make more in the future. However on occasion someone like yourself takes my class using more of my help to do the hard parts (sometimes with me doing all the brazing) so they can still end up with a professional quality frame. This is more typical for those wanting to use really light heat treated or stainless steel tubing for a road frame that is beyond the skill most students can acquire in a class.

Even though I am just a couple hours drive away from you on I-80 (I’m just north of Notre Dame University in South Bend, Indiana), I have a couple of cautions about you taking my class. My experience is in road frames and my classes are usually 3 weeks long because I know how long it takes for an average person to learn. Occasionally I teach a short 3 day class so a student can figure out if making something themselves is a good option.

Doug Fattic
Niles, Michigan
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 01-21-18, 10:17 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Your local community college likely will have the welders and milling machines to do the work. But, may not have the jigs you need, or expertise in actual frame building.
Old 01-21-18, 11:41 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,310 Posts
Building the frame one's self is a truly gratifying experience filled with doubt and frustration (for the first few frames at least). It's more expensive to learn, buy the practice and actual materials, find the time to practice, find the location to do so, buy more material after the mistakes are made and deal with the paint/finishing (and to those who say they're good with a bare unpainted frame I suggest that you don't care what others think of your skills). The frame will end up heavier and less well made then having an experienced pro do the work.

But if you're still wanting to build your own I strongly suggest that you hook up with Doug F. I also suggest that the first attempt be as simple a frame as you can live with. Nowhere in the OP did I get the impression of a full suspension frame was the goal (although I am not familiar with Linkage X3, is it dedicated for moving link designs only?) But if a suspension frame is the goal I strongly suggest that it isn't your first attempt at frame building. There are a few builders who do make one off rear suspension frames, I would seek one of them out for their input/advice. Andy
Old 02-15-18, 07:21 PM
patrickk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
John Sotherland of southern Wisconsin offers one-on-one frame building classes. He used to build Waterfords, Paramounts, and Rivendells and trained a lot of other builders. He now teaches out of his bicycle shop.

He doesn't build every kind of bike or teach a three-week course, but you can get a chance to build yourself a bike alongside an experienced builder.