Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Help me ID my grocery-getter/commuter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 10:47 PM
nucls

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help me ID my grocery-getter/commuter?

I'm new to bikeforums so I hope I'm posting this in the right area...

I picked this bike up for $200 from a local used bike shop about 8 months ago, swapped out the rear derailleur, brake pads, tires and seat and it's been a pretty solid commuter/grocery-getter since.

I dig the aesthetics of the bike (spot rust notwithstanding) and I'm curious if anyone can positively ID the make...maybe Nishiki, Univega or Viscount? A previous owner removed the stickers and badge but I've posted the serial numbers below.

Not sure which components are original but this is what it came to me with:

Sugino Mighty Competion 54/48T crankset
Sun Tour rear derailleur
Compe front derailleur
Compe stem
KB Japan Champion Handlebars
weinmann 610 / vainqueur 99 front brake
weinmann 750 /vainqueur rear brake

Possible clue(s):
The bottom bracket serial number: KS 194596 / W03bry
The dropout stamping: WCC ... and I think S C but the last two characters are nearly gone.
No water-bottle bosses but it does have eyelets for fenders/mudguards.

I enjoy steel frames and it'd be fun to know this bike's history. Thank you for taking the time to take a look!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
kKOfcML.jpg (1.49 MB, 138 views)
Old 02-09-18, 10:59 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
big clue..

I don't remember what brand, but that wrap-around chain stay on the seat post lug strikes me a a big clue.
Old 02-09-18, 11:06 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,174 Posts
-----

It is a Nishiki/American Eagle Semi-Pro from the early 1970's. Manufactured in Japan by Kawamura.

The WCC marking stands for the importer in Los Angeles, West Coast Cycle Supply Co. The letter W will have prominent "wings" or seraphs. (Sometimes the abbreviation is WCCS) The W03/bry marking may indicate a sale by a dealer in Berkeley, California.

There is some information regarding the badge's creation and history here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nishiki_(bicycle_company)

The lugless head is because frame is the nominal 19 inch size. This model was also offered with frames of 21 inch, 23 inch and 25 inch nominal sizes. Those sizes were built with a fully lugged head.

Original wheels were Sunshine large flange 36 hole quick release hubs with Araya 27 X 1 1/4" alloy rims. Stock tyres were Inoue Rubber Co. (IRC) HP gumwall rated at 85PSI. Original brake calipers were DiaCompe 610 and 750. Original saddle was a YFC, quilted black leather over a black plastic shell, similar to Unicanitor. Saddle pillar is OEM Teihei. Pedals are OEM KKT ProAce model. Missing are the KKT leather covered toe clips and straps. Headset is Tange MA60 model.

Four stock colours I can recall were brown, green, silver and blue. Head tubes were satin black. Cycle's present finish represents a respray.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 02-10-18 at 07:00 AM. Reason: addition
Old 02-10-18, 10:23 AM
nucls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Juvela,

Awesome! thank you for the information. I looked-up Nishiki/American Eagle and photos galore. Cool stuff for sure and now I know what I'm riding! I really appreciate it thank you.
Old 02-10-18, 10:38 AM
juvela

-----

Are you by chance located in California?

The city of Berkeley, California had a system at this time where bicycle sellers in the city were given a dealer number which was employed in record keeping and licensing. The marking 03/bry could indicate a machine sold by one of these dealers.

Happy to read information of help.

Forgot to write "Welcome To The Forum!"

-----
Old 02-10-18, 01:18 PM
nucls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, glad to be here! Not in Berkeley a bit farther north - Portland, OR, but I do miss/love that bay area riding. I was curious about the second serial 03/BRY and I was kinda thinking that it might be a city bike ID program of some sort. At any rate, I've spent the morning reading/researching old Nishiki and steel framed bikes - almost as fun as riding ... almost. I did happened to run across a decal set for Nishiki/American Eagle on ebay, I'm not normally into restoring but maybe in the future. Better brakes/handlebars (these 38mm are little too narrow) would probably be a better investment. But we'll see. For a nearly 50 year old bike it runs and rides very nice, no complaints!
Old 02-10-18, 01:51 PM
juvela

----

At one time I knew which retailers went with some of the __/BRY numbers but can no longer recall any. My number was 014/BRY. The system seems to have been abandoned when California went to a statewide licensing arrangement in 1977. The city of Berkeley no longer performs the bicycle licensing function.

Happy to read you are enjoying your bicycle.

Two tips in case you engage in any spanner twisting -

a) it is possible that depending on how early your example the steerer & stem size may be .833".

b) also depending on how early the bicycle its bottom bracket shell width may be 71mm.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 02-10-18 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 02-10-18, 08:58 PM
nucls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am thinking about a few future upgrades stem/handlebars and possibly BB/crankset - thanks for the heads-up. I'll pull out the calipers/tape before making any purchases. I was just eyeing a new stem last night thinking (without measuring) it was probably 1", glad I didn't just jump on that. I think I'll take a more methodical approach with this bike
Old 02-10-18, 09:09 PM
juvela

-----

Choices in .833 stems are somewhat limited and virtually all of them only offer a 25.4mm clamp size. It is possible that the Gran Compe which is on there will be marked down on the portion which is presently inside the steerer.

Rear spacing would have been 120mm when it left factory. Have no idea what it may be today...

-----
Old 02-11-18, 10:11 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Based on the serial number, the bicycle is almost certainly a 1973 model. My database has another Nishiki with a S/N starting with KS19 and all the component date codes indicate autumn 1972, which would be consistent with a 1973 model. Given a 1973 model, the actual model name would be a Nishiki Competition.

The wings extending from the stamped 'W' actually are parts of a stylized 'C'. There's one 'C' in front of and co-joined with the 'W' but facing backwards. The other 'C' is behind and co-joined with the 'W" but facing normally. Basically it's a stylized CWC, meant to represent WCC or West Cost Cycle (Supply).
Old 02-11-18, 12:06 PM
nucls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very cool, thank you! 1972/73? Makes me appreciate the qualities of steel even more. I've been researching both Nishiki "semi pro" and "competition" models and noticing the photos from that era show bikes with front lugs which something mine doesn't have ... maybe a different year (as opposed to a different model?).
Old 02-11-18, 12:32 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by nucls
very cool, thank you! 1972/73? Makes me appreciate the qualities of steel even more. I've been researching both Nishiki "semi pro" and "competition" models and noticing the photos from that era show bikes with front lugs which something mine doesn't have ... maybe a different year (as opposed to a different model?).
-----

lugless head - explained this in post nr. 3 above.

-----
Old 02-11-18, 06:54 PM
nucls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yep, got it. nominal size.
Old 02-18-18, 04:34 PM
juvela

-----

Here is an American Eagle Semi-Pro which looks to be nearly all original from right near the same time as your example. It is also the "19 1/2" size frame. Note lugless head.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik...493337122.html

-----
Old 02-19-18, 04:25 PM
nucls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very cool, looks very familiar . I've been enjoying this bike so much I couldn't help swapping out a few components. You were correct about the quill being .833 but I was able to find a nice alloy stem on ebay (.833) so now I can mount more preferable handlebars, yay!
Old 02-19-18, 04:27 PM
nucls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

man, that badge is pretty cool. hmm, maybe I'll go looking for one at some point.
Old 02-20-18, 02:35 PM
juvela

-----

Good to read you found a stem to fit your needs. Pretty much any .833 stem one finds is going to have a 25.4mm clamp size so one is limited in bar selection to one with this centre dimension...

Photos let you see what the original YFC saddle looked like.

Happy to hear you are enjoying the bike!

-----
Old 02-22-18, 03:49 PM
juvela

-----

Forgot to mention -

In case you are interested in the history of the American Eagle/Nishiki marques there is lots of detailed information here written by the son of the company founder:

https://www.proteanpaper.com/scart_a...?comp=howiebik

-----