Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Inner Tube Presta Stem came out of tube.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 08:04 AM
jsidney

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While adding air with a portable pump the bike fell over and the tube stem popped out. I have not taken the tire off yet to check the tube but I see nothing torn on the stem.

What I see on the stem is what appears to be a rubber grommet, can this be put back into the tube or would you just get another tube.
Old 02-16-18, 08:13 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I am assuming you mean the valve CORE came out of the tube. If that is the case, yes, the valve base(The base of the whole valve core) screws into the valve sheath or valve tube(Not sure of exact terminology). Then the top of the valve core screws down into the base to allow for sealing or opening to allow air to enter (or exit).
Old 02-16-18, 08:19 AM
jsidney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
I am assuming you mean the valve CORE came out of the tube. If that is the case, yes, the valve base(The base of the whole valve core) screws into the valve sheath or valve tube(Not sure of exact terminology). Then the top of the valve core screws down into the base to allow for sealing or opening to allow air to enter (or exit).
Not the valve core, the entire stem came out.

When the bike fell over I was still holding the pump in my hand and the stem was still locked into the pump head.
Old 02-16-18, 08:22 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jsidney
Not the valve core, the entire stem came out.

When the bike fell over I was still holding the pump in my hand and the stem was still in the pump head.
The only way for the whole stem to come out would be for it to tear loose from the tube. In which case the tube is ruined.
Old 02-16-18, 08:28 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
The only way for the whole stem to come out would be for it to tear loose from the tube. In which case the tube is ruined.
Yeah. The OP makes no sense.
Old 02-16-18, 08:39 AM
jsidney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What came out looks kind of like this. The grommet is a little different in shape and it has a groove around it.

https://www.backcountry.com/stan-s-n...RoCPXgQAvD_BwE
Old 02-16-18, 08:45 AM
indyfabz

What came out looks kind of like this. The grommet is a little different in shape and it has a groove around it.

Are you trying to troll us? That's a stem for a tubeless rim. Either way, if a stem broke completely off a tube or you pulled a tubeless stem completely out of the rim, the tire would lose all air. In the case of a stem ripped from the tube, the tube would be toast. Simple as that.
Old 02-16-18, 08:49 AM
jsidney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Are you trying to troll us? That's a stem for a tubeless rim. Either way, if a stem broke completely off a tube or you pulled a tubeless stem completely out of the rim, the tire would lose all air. In the case of a stem ripped from the tube, the tube would be toast. Simple as that.
Not trying to troll at all, I also did state that the photo was of one for a tubeless set up but what came out of the tube was similar except it has a deep groove around it.

It did lose air as the bike fell over and the stem tore out.

The rim is for a Schrader tube but have been using Presta with an adapter. It does seem I forgot to put the adapter in during the last tube change and the rotating ring was loose, that probably contributed in the stem comming out easier.

On the stem that came out of the rim I don't see any torn bits, just the the stem and a rubber grommet. I will know more when I take the tire and tube off tonight.

No troll going on at all.

Last edited by jsidney; 02-16-18 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-16-18, 08:54 AM
indyfabz

With all your experience, one would think you would know the tube is toast.

Bub-bye.

/thread
Old 02-16-18, 09:00 AM
jsidney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
With all your experience, one would think you would know the tube is toast.

Bub-bye.

/thread

I assumed that would be the case and expected to see torn rubber around the stem but instead it is a grommet with a groove around it and no evidence of tearing.
Old 02-16-18, 09:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
In all fairness to the OP, you should believe him. In fact I had a presta stem come completely out of an inner tube also and it was a very clean separation from the tube and had a little patch of rubber near the bottom that was similar to the stems for tubeless tires.

Mine came out because the locking head on my air hose had not been releasing fully and I had to yank it every time I filled it for over a year. After pulling it out I replaced the air hose on the pump with a replacement from Nashbar and now it works better than ever.

Trying to re-install the stem might be something that's possible, but probably not trustworthy and will likely need tender handling every time it's filled. Something one should only do when they want to prove the others wrong.

As tubes don't cost much, why bother with the trouble.

edit.....

Daay-anng ! just noticed the price of those stems. I can get four tubes for that.

Last edited by Iride01; 02-16-18 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-16-18, 09:06 AM
jsidney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
In all fairness to the OP, you should believe him. In fact I had a presta stem come completely out of an inner tube also and it was a very clean separation from the tube and had a little patch of rubber near the bottom that was similar to the stems for tubeless tires.

Mine came out because the locking head on my air hose had not been releasing fully and I had to yank it every time I filled it for over a year. After pulling it out I replaced the air hose on the pump with a replacement from Nashbar and now it works better than ever.

Trying to re-install the stem might be something that's possible, but probably not trustworthy and will likely need tender handling every time it's filled. Something one should only do when they want to prove the others wrong.

As tubes don't cost much, why bother with the trouble.
My current location has no bike stores of any type. I will order more tubes so not that big of a deal, I will just have to wait.

I was shocked when the stem showed no evidence of tearing so I thought others might have seen this before and may have been able to fix it successfully getting me back on a bike faster.
Old 02-16-18, 09:12 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
You got a Walmart there in Ponca City. These are what I buy.... https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Tube...Valve/34038251

And before someone says that's why my stem came out...... It came out of a Continental inner tube that I had at the time.
Old 02-16-18, 09:20 AM
jsidney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You got a Walmart there in Ponca City. These are what I buy.... https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Tube...Valve/34038251

And before someone says that's why my stem came out...... It came out of a Continental inner tube that I had at the time.

The last time I checked had no 700c tubes, it seemed everything had gone to smaller diameters. I will take a look but will still order some tubes as well.

The tube that lost the stem for me was Giant brand. I wonder of those are made by Continental.

Last edited by jsidney; 02-16-18 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-16-18, 09:46 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I don't think I'd trust it at 80-90 PSI. With my luck it would shoot out at high speed as soon as I mounted the bike. Or wait until I'm 20 miles down the road.
Old 02-16-18, 09:53 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I almost never see any 700c tubes in Walmarts around here either. I just skip the trip and internet order from your preferred vendor.
Old 02-16-18, 10:05 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've had the same failure on presta tubes. Where the stem joins the tube is delicate. Knowing this, I am now much more careful with presta.
Old 02-16-18, 10:20 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Not trying to troll at all, I also did state that the photo was of one for a tubeless set up but what came out of the tube was similar except it has a deep groove around it.

The rim is for a Schrader tube but have been using Presta with an adapter. It does seem I forgot to put the adapter in during the last tube change and the rotating ring was loose, that probably contributed in the stem comming out easier.

On the stem that came out of the rim I don't see any torn bits, just the the stem and a rubber grommet. I will know more when I take the tire and tube off tonight.

No troll going on at all.
The adopter is, I assume, a fancy washer that narrows the large Schraeder hole to Presta diameter. Not having that adopter (or a common washer to do the same thing) you are asking unsupported innertube to resist a lot of pressure. It sounds like the tube you used was made in such a way that you "could" reassemble it with the appropriate glue and re-use it. Most of us would say life is too short to try but if you were successful, you might have a working tube in place before FedEx arrived.

Ben
Old 02-16-18, 10:57 AM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts

????Probably contributed????
OK.
Logic. Using wrong tube.
Why not use Shrader tubes for shrader rims?

Yea
Interesting but logical
Operator error
I’ve been guilty of making stuff work ,
When necessary,
Knowing it could fail

Last edited by bogydave; 02-16-18 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-16-18, 11:01 AM
jsidney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave
OK.
Logic. Using wrong tube.

Yea
Interesting but logical
Operator error
I’ve been guilty of making stuff work
Knowing it could fail
It is quite common for people to use a Presta Tube on a Schrader rim with an adapter. Plenty on this very forum do it without the adapter but it is not recommended. I simply forgot to put the adapter in place on the last tube change.

I don't know if it contributed or not, I think the fact the locking ring was not tight was as much or more of a factor.

Last edited by jsidney; 02-16-18 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-16-18, 11:09 AM
jsidney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave
OK.
Logic. Using wrong tube.

Yea
Interesting but logical
Operator error
I’ve been guilty of making stuff work ,
When necessary,
Knowing it could fail
It was this forum that got me using Presta Tubes on Schrader rims. I have since found the Touring bike crowd do it a lot to have an easier time finding replacement tubes in small out of the way places.

There is nothing wrong with using Presta Tubes on Schrader rims as long as you have an adapter. It if is worth it or not is a different question.

A lot of forum members also say the adapter isn't important. Quite a few people on the forum claim decades and thousands of miles of no problems running Presta on Schrader rims.

Doing what I have been doing is in no way unusual.

Last edited by jsidney; 02-16-18 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-16-18, 12:32 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I used to buy those also, and they work just fine, but now I have deeper dish rims and the valve is too short. An extension works fine as a temporary fix, but in the future I would prefer buying tubes that come with longer valves.
Old 02-16-18, 12:38 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
It was this forum that got me using Presta Tubes on Schrader rims. I have since found the Touring bike crowd do it a lot to have an easier time finding replacement tubes in small out of the way places.

There is nothing wrong with using Presta Tubes on Schrader rims as long as you have an adapter. It if is worth it or not is a different question.

A lot of forum members also say the adapter isn't important. Quite a few people on the forum claim decades and thousands of miles of no problems running Presta on Schrader rims.

Doing what I have been doing is in no way unusual.
I have my touring bike set up that way for the same reason. If I ever needed an inner tube while on tour and could only find Schrader valve tubes I could remove the adapter and use them. I wouldn't use Presta inner tubes without the adapters however
Old 02-16-18, 01:20 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Old tubes had the valves more or less bolted down. But, I haven't seen those for eons.

Nonetheless, I'd try the repair out. You can't be any worse off than you are now.

The outer lock ring is unnecessary, and should only be finger tight. Its main purpose is to help one push the pump on the valve, I think. But, the tube will work just fine without it.

As far as department store tubes... I've used them off and on. It is the oddest thing. They often have a shelf full of 20" tubes, but have the space, but no tubes of narrow 700c - 18/25 tubes, or perhaps even the next size up. My guess is that they sell out of those quickly, and nobody has bothered to try to get a better estimate of actual sales.

The other thing that likely happens is that they'll sell the 20" tubes in singles, but for the 700c tubes, an avid cyclist may come in and clean off the shelf.

Nonetheless, it never hurts to check.
Old 02-16-18, 01:43 PM
jsidney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Old tubes had the valves more or less bolted down. But, I haven't seen those for eons.

Nonetheless, I'd try the repair out. You can't be any worse off than you are now.

The outer lock ring is unnecessary, and should only be finger tight. Its main purpose is to help one push the pump on the valve, I think. But, the tube will work just fine without it.

As far as department store tubes... I've used them off and on. It is the oddest thing. They often have a shelf full of 20" tubes, but have the space, but no tubes of narrow 700c - 18/25 tubes, or perhaps even the next size up. My guess is that they sell out of those quickly, and nobody has bothered to try to get a better estimate of actual sales.

The other thing that likely happens is that they'll sell the 20" tubes in singles, but for the 700c tubes, an avid cyclist may come in and clean off the shelf.

Nonetheless, it never hurts to check.
I checked Walmart online. It looks like it is all 20 and 26 inch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.