Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any group rides in Israel? (Jerusalem)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-18, 08:42 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts

Edited

Last edited by pennpaul; 04-12-18 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-18-18, 09:03 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Well, there's the Giro D'Italia which will meet on May 4th at Shlomo HaMelech Street by the Jaffa Gate. The pace may be a little quick for a social ride, but SAG is world class.

Big Start ? Giro d?Italia 2018: Official Site
Old 02-18-18, 09:31 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I've been to Israel many times and love the country but would have to say I'm having a hard time thinking of someplace I would feel safe on a bike in and around Jerusalem. Busy narrow streets and not the best drivers.

I would look for a cycling club. They would know the best places to ride.

I was there in November of last year for the first time in a while and was shocked to see how many e-bikes there are in Tel Aviv.

Riding along the sea would be nice. I'm not sure how far the path goes but would guess it goes quite a ways.
Old 02-18-18, 12:03 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Well, there's the Giro D'Italia which will meet on May 4th at Shlomo HaMelech Street by the Jaffa Gate. The pace may be a little quick for a social ride, but SAG is world class.

Big Start ? Giro d?Italia 2018: Official Site

Awesome! I did not know this was happening. I can see the race from my balcony but definitely plan to be done amongst the riff raff!

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I've been to Israel many times and love the country but would have to say I'm having a hard time thinking of someplace I would feel safe on a bike in and around Jerusalem. Busy narrow streets and not the best drivers.

I would look for a cycling club. They would know the best places to ride.

I was there in November of last year for the first time in a while and was shocked to see how many e-bikes there are in Tel Aviv.
I don't know what the terrain is like in Tel Aviv but Jerusalem is very hilly, so yes, there are e-bikes everywhere. They might as well be mopeds/scooters because those things are cruisin'. It might not San Francisco steep but hilly enough.

Yes, I'm looking around for a bike club. The one nice thing with Shabbat on Saturday morning is that the city is largely quiet and driverless. The drivers aren't Bangkok bad but definitely more lawless than when I lived in Philly.
Old 02-18-18, 01:18 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Originally Posted by atgcpaul
Awesome! I did not know this was happening. I can see the race from my balcony but definitely plan to be done amongst the riff raff!

I don't know what the terrain is like in Tel Aviv but Jerusalem is very hilly, so yes, there are e-bikes everywhere. They might as well be mopeds/scooters because those things are cruisin'. It might not San Francisco steep but hilly enough.

Yes, I'm looking around for a bike club. The one nice thing with Shabbat on Saturday morning is that the city is largely quiet and driverless. The drivers aren't Bangkok bad but definitely more lawless than when I lived in Philly.
Just make sure not to ride in the orthodox neighborhoods on Shabat. I had rocks thrown at my rental car once while driving around lost.
Old 02-18-18, 05:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Not really "light" gravel but you could try the Isreali National Bike Trail.

Don't confuse it with the Israli National Trail which is a hiking trail. The National Bike Trail is the same idea but a different trail for bikes.

-Tim-
Old 02-19-18, 06:00 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
You may want to look at Tel Aviv if you don’t mind taking the bus or if you have a car there. Dan and the Negev are great for mountain bikes. Do watch where you are at on Sh***** and Chag if you are secular. But you probably know that moving there. Enjoy, my wife and I had rented an apartment near Pollard Plaza, pricey, but we loved it there, though Tel Aviv is more to our liking if we were to leave the US at this point.