Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Steering stabilizers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Steering stabilizers

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-18, 03:48 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Steering stabilizers

Anybody here know about these? They're found on European utility bikes. I've copied and marked up a photo of one of WorkCycles' products.

The item seems to be a simple coil spring and the only mention I've found of its usefulness is in keeping the front wheel from flopping over while cargo is being loaded onto the bike. To do that, it has to have some initial tension at the center position, but I'm curious as to how much, and whether it prevents wobble during riding.

Anything you can tell me will be helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Inkedsteering stabilizer_LI.jpg (884.0 KB, 86 views)
Old 02-18-18, 03:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Well you just missed out on this thread.... https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...different.html
maybe not quite the same, but kinda, sorta, maybe!?
Old 02-18-18, 05:45 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Thanks, Iride, and I think I've got some places to look for a variety of approaches. I found this other thread

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...tabilizer.html

which is about what I was looking for, and something I can implement with a trip to the local hardware store. I may not go that route yet; I'm going to try some other things first.

The issue is with my Day 6 Cyclone. I finally took it out on the road today for the very first time and noticed it tended to get real wobbly in the middle gears, like the act of pedaling was causing steering feedback at a certain speed and pedal cadence. I made some slight adjustments to the handlebar position, and I added pedal spacers, mostly for a problem with some shoes I wear a lot. I'll restore everything to the way it was when I got it and try again before I add anything else, but adding a spring will be easy if I want to.

Funny thing; before making this post, I did a search for "steering stabilizer" and nothing came up.

Thanks again.
Old 02-18-18, 07:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Are you at a higher cadence in those middle gears when it gets wobbly? Might be flex in the frame from a combination of the power you are able to put in the pedals and the total weight the bike is carrying.
Old 02-18-18, 07:52 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
I've ridden a lot of bikes with them. The center tension is pretty minimal. I can't imagine it would have any real impact on the handling.
Old 02-18-18, 11:22 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Originally Posted by Iride01
Are you at a higher cadence in those middle gears when it gets wobbly? Might be flex in the frame from a combination of the power you are able to put in the pedals and the total weight the bike is carrying.
I think I was keeping about the same cadence; not positive. One thing I am sure of is that I'm not flexing the frame with my legs; my muscles are still really wimpy yet. Weight shouldn't be a factor either; me and the bike together aren't much above 200 lbs and the bike is rated for 300.
Old 02-18-18, 11:43 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
I've ridden a lot of bikes with them. The center tension is pretty minimal. I can't imagine it would have any real impact on the handling.
Exactly my experience with these on two tandems that pull trailers. The centering effect is weak and serves to pull the front wheel straight ahead only when the bicycle is stationary. In actual riding there is no perceptible affect on the stability (or lack of it) of the bicycle.
Old 02-19-18, 01:52 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Those aren’t meant to stabilize the bike while riding, they’re meant to keep the wheel from flopping over when the bike is parked.
I have never noticed any difference with or w/o spring engaged while riding.
Old 02-19-18, 02:15 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Exactly my experience with these on two tandems that pull trailers. The centering effect is weak and serves to pull the front wheel straight ahead only when the bicycle is stationary. In actual riding there is no perceptible affect on the stability (or lack of it) of the bicycle.
I have the identical device. I don't notice it when riding.