Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Any Clydes Using Speedplay Pedals?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-12, 08:33 PM
magohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

Im in the market to switch out my Shimano SPD pedals fo Speedplay. Speedplay is "double sided" so I wont have to fish for the right side of the pedal everytime I try to clip in. I not sure on the weight limit of the entry level steel version so i was wondering if any clydes are using them? Im 280lbs but never stand out of the seat and let all my weight rest on pedals - though I may want the option as I get lighter.

https://speedplay.com/

Thanks all.
Old 03-31-12, 09:59 PM
snowman40

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of Light Action, I like them. I may switch as I feel they have a bit to much float as my heels clip the chainstays and tend to get rotational knee pain which I don't like.

The Light Actions don't take much to get out of them. I've stood up to go up a hill and unclipped...that was fun.

My major problem with them is I don't always get clipped in but that is probably just me trying to rush it and get out of the intersection.
Old 03-31-12, 10:06 PM
magohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks snowman - the "light action" are the entry-level ones at around $120? Those are the ones Im looking at because my SPD pedals are a pain trying to "flick" them to the position that I can click into. At 280lbs I dont see the point in spending another $50 to save a few grams in weight.

As I say I never stand on climbs so Im more concerned with the pedal snapping due to me being a heavier rider. However, I cant find any evidence that that would be the case.
Old 04-01-12, 12:33 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by magohn
Speedplay is "double sided" so I wont have to fish for the right side of the pedal everytime I try to clip in.
Shimano SPD pedals are also double-sided (and much cheaper than SpeedPlay). Perhaps you're thinking of SPD-SL road pedals? Have to admit, I've never tried SpeedPlay pedals. Couldn't get over the enormous size of their cleats...
Old 04-01-12, 01:11 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Which shimano pedals are double sided? Not the 105 SPDs I got my wife, that's for sure.

I have used X-2 pedals for 10 years and got light actions about 2 year ago at 240 lbs. No issues with weight, just steer clear of the top end speedplays - they have a 180 limit.

I find speedplays incredibly easy to clip in to and get out of as well. I have knee issues, so Speedplay solves that for me but they're great pedals (IMO)
Old 04-01-12, 01:40 AM
snowman40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks snowman - the "light action" are the entry-level ones at around $120? Those are the ones Im looking at because my SPD pedals are a pain trying to "flick" them to the position that I can click into. At 280lbs I dont see the point in spending another $50 to save a few grams in weight.

As I say I never stand on climbs so Im more concerned with the pedal snapping due to me being a heavier rider. However, I cant find any evidence that that would be the case.
I haven't snapped mine yet (I think I have the stainless steel ones) and I'm anywhere between 250 and 270 depending on how many miles I can get in and my sweet tooth.
Old 04-01-12, 03:03 AM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sstorkel
Shimano SPD pedals are also double-sided (and much cheaper than SpeedPlay). Perhaps you're thinking of SPD-SL road pedals? Have to admit, I've never tried SpeedPlay pedals. Couldn't get over the enormous size of their cleats...
I had double sided SPDs and found them actually harder to get into than the single sided.
Old 04-01-12, 03:19 AM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't seem to have any problem finding the correct alignment with either single sided road pedals or double sided mtb pedals. But, I've been riding clipless for over twenty years. Mrs. Fred on the other hand has been riding clipless for less than 6 years and reports that she finds normal single sided road pedals (look, shimano spd-sl) to be easier to find. According to her, because, they always hang down in the same orientation. Opposed to mtb pedals (spd, egg beater, etc) where she has to first orient to a pedal that may be rotated to any orientation.

As I said, its not something I've noticed. But, I clip in for the most part without thinking about it. She seems to notice a difference. Not that any of this has anything to do with speedplays. The last time I tried speedplays was over 15 years ago.
Old 04-01-12, 05:08 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm planning to switch to Zeroes for the road bike this season. I've been with Look and compatibles for over 25 years.
Old 04-01-12, 09:18 AM
rsacilotto

Bikes: 1983 Trek 760, 2000 Fuji Team, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I've had X-2 (stainless) on two bikes for over 6 years - I'm usually between 230 and 250. The cleats can be a pain in the neck sometimes, but I'm happy with the performance.
Old 04-01-12, 09:21 AM
magohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys - great feedback. It sounds as if speedplays will work for me , the basic ones. Another quick question: My shoes have SPD-SL cleats (non-recessed), Im assuming the cleats that come with speedplays just bolt right on with no hassle?

Thanks again.
Old 04-01-12, 09:28 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Which shimano pedals are double sided? Not the 105 SPDs I got my wife, that's for sure.
You wife has SPD-SL road pedals. SPD pedals were originally for mountain bikes and they're all double-sided.
Old 04-01-12, 10:50 AM
Biggziff
not as fat as I was

Bikes: Trek 7000, Trek 5500, Fuji Newest 1.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1

They're expensive and look ridiculous. I tried a set and hated the float and how easy they unclipped. SPD for me from now on. If you're looking to spend some money on toys I'd look elsewhere. Little to no value here.
Old 04-01-12, 12:09 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Biggziff
+1

They're expensive and look ridiculous. I tried a set and hated the float and how easy they unclipped. SPD for me from now on. If you're looking to spend some money on toys I'd look elsewhere. Little to no value here.
You can tighten any of the SPD-SL pedals to the point that they are anything, but, easy to get out of. SPD pedals on the other hand, always seem to allow easier unclipping. The ability for the toe to rotate, more or less guarantees that.

If you want good retention, I suggest you look for some older Shimano SPD-R pedals. They were discontinued, more or less, because people found them so hard to get out of. If I tighten more DA models down tight, it takes all the leverage my size 51's can muster to get out of them.
Old 04-01-12, 08:00 PM
snowman40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys - great feedback. It sounds as if speedplays will work for me , the basic ones. Another quick question: My shoes have SPD-SL cleats (non-recessed), Im assuming the cleats that come with speedplays just bolt right on with no hassle?

Thanks again.
They should come with an adapter. The cleats are 4 bolt pattern and most shoes are 3 bolt pattern. You may have to fiddle with your saddle height after installing them.
Old 04-01-12, 08:03 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,512 Times in 2,855 Posts
You wife has SPD-SL road pedals. SPD pedals were originally for mountain bikes and they're all double-sided.
There is *one* single-sided SPD; The A520.
Old 04-01-12, 08:12 PM
Seve

Bikes: 2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shimano PD-A600 SPD
and
Shimano A530 SPD

Are single sided SPD options as well.
Old 04-01-12, 08:12 PM
magohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again all - I think I will pick up a pair of the "light action" speedplays this week. My wife has a pair of the pedals and she loves them. Ive witnessed first-hand her ease of clicking into the pedals from a standing start when Im still struggling to "flick" my pedal into the correct positon. My main concern was my weight - but it appears weight is only a factor on the higher end versions where the pedal is made of less friendly weight-bearing material.
Old 04-01-12, 10:29 PM
jc650

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock and Secteur and a Cannondale Synapse 5

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same size as you, no problem with speedplays and I ride HARD!
Old 04-01-12, 10:34 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hmm. My last attempt at clipless was Speedplays. Even after a call to their headquarters we never found a way to angle the cleat enough for my right leg. I might need to revist them when I'm riding again.

Old 04-02-12, 12:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Not compatible with Shimano sandals..there are alternate wider axles,
but not thru cheap Mail-order-web sources for those who are interested...
these were the Frog ATB pedals..
Old 04-02-12, 06:02 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggziff
+1

My SS ones cost the same as ultegra pedals, have easier float adjustment which is great for my knees, easier to get in and out of, easier to walk in, these all seem to be benefits to me. Maybe not good for you but I sure love mine. Oh and as for looks they look awesome but maybe different looks ugly for you.
Old 04-02-12, 07:09 AM
Biggziff
not as fat as I was

Bikes: Trek 7000, Trek 5500, Fuji Newest 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by youcoming
My SS ones cost the same as ultegra pedals, have easier float adjustment which is great for my knees, easier to get in and out of, easier to walk in, these all seem to be benefits to me. Maybe not good for you but I sure love mine. Oh and as for looks they look awesome but maybe different looks ugly for you.
Hey...it's springtime and I'll never fault someone for trying to find reasons to justify spending money on something that really doesn't provide any value. I do it all the time!
Old 04-02-12, 08:45 AM
vic303

Bikes: Schlitter Encore, RANS Seavo tandem, Fisher HKEK, Spec. Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speedplay Frogs! Love 'em and have used them for years on my MTB and old DF, and now on my Bacchetta. Wouldn't ride any other pedals. I need and love the float (2 knee surgeries), and the zero-tension unclipping. As for clipping the stays, or crank arms, you simply need to adjust the cleat position on the shoe.
Old 04-02-12, 08:52 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used both the road pedals and the MTB (Frogs). Have to say won't go back to them. Both pedals are easy in and out but the size of the cleat on the road pedal is a nightmare. It's hard to walk around in, get just alittle dirt on the cleat and it won't engage in the pedal, the cleats wear down quickly so make sure you also purchase the Cafe covers. Plus the pedal/cleat caused permanent nerve damage to the ball of my foot. Worse hot spots ever! the X1 or X2 I think have no weight limit; stay away from the O's as they do.

But that was my experince and many people love them. Just not for me anymore. And yes SPD's also come two sided. In fact, there are lots of different SPD pedals. I personal like Time and use the system on my road and mountain bikes.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.