Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Any Clydes Using Speedplay Pedals?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Any Clydes Using Speedplay Pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-12, 09:23 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Its probably actually hard to get the little covers installed backwards or on the wrong foot, but as I mentioned above, I did it. I'm cut from the same cloth - I'd rather do it myself and figure out how it's done. I'm sure it would be nice to just buy an expensive bike and start riding it, but nooooooo! I have to spend 36 hours building it and cussing at it to get the full appreciation.

Old 04-06-12, 10:17 AM
magohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha!!! Fixed them!

Unfortunately I'm from the mechanical school of "its close enough". When installing the cleats to the shoes the instructions specifically tell of fitting the correct curvature shim so that the cleat fits flush with the curvature of the sole of the shoe. Well I had a 1mm gap between the cleat-mount and the shoe that could be taken up by tightening down the cleat-mount. WRONG - by tightening down the mount to take up the 1mm gap, I inadvertently "curved" the locking mechanism of the cleat and so it would not engage correctly.

So, I took apart the cleat, fitted the thicker 4-R shims (supplied), re-assembled everything and jumped on the bike. NO PROBLEMS!! The shoes snap in and out of the pedals and will not break away from the pedal unless I twist my foot to do so.

Im thrilled - thank you all and a special thanks to Trojan . Now I "get it"
Old 04-06-12, 08:08 PM
El Conquistador De Amore

Location: Atlanta, GA. The city too busy to do anything well.

Bikes: Litespeed Palmares.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I would think hot spots are symptom of a too-soft sole, not a cleat/pedal problem.
Nope, with the same shoes the problem went away with the different pedal/cleat system. The speedplays may work for many, just not for me.
Old 04-06-12, 08:33 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hot spots seem to be one of those things (like saddle discomfort) that's different for everyone, and can come and go with changes that seem inconsequential or even contraindicated. I consider myself lucky that through 30+ years of riding, with lots of different bikes, pedals and shoes, I've never had a problem with them.

Now I've done it.
Old 04-06-12, 11:56 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by magohn
Ha!!! Fixed them!
Glad to hear it... now that all is working, hopefully you'll actually like them...
Old 04-07-12, 09:58 AM
cycler39

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been using Speedplay Frogs on my road bike for 6 years with no problems.
Old 05-20-12, 09:04 AM
VaMoots

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I would think hot spots are symptom of a too-soft sole, not a cleat/pedal problem.
For me it's a symptom of having a size 48 wide foot with a pedal the size of a walnut. I use Sidi's btw so it's not the shoe.
Old 05-20-12, 11:36 AM
snowman40

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I switched to Shimano 105s. No idea why I didn't do it sooner, no foot pain over 30 km. Just overall a lot more comfortable and secure.

Though, I need to work on clipping in as I had a few hairy moments pulling away from some reds (in bike lane) oh well, I'll figure it out.
Old 05-20-12, 07:47 PM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't read the entire thread, but I have the stainless zeros and love them
Old 05-21-12, 12:05 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by vesteroid
I didn't read the entire thread, but I have the stainless zeros and love them
Have you tried keeponkovers.com yet? I can't believe how much I like mine - they convert my cleat from slippery and low traction into walkable. and keep the cleat itself from being chewed up by the ground.
Old 05-21-12, 08:25 AM
avance

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the speedplay zeros with the keeponkovers. The kovers prevented me from loosing a couple screws too. They do make walking on concrete easier.
Old 05-21-12, 08:27 AM
magohn

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avance
I have the speedplay zeros with the keeponkovers. The kovers prevented me from loosing a couple screws too. They do make walking on concrete easier.
+1 - I love mine. Fit them and forget them. No need to carry them with you as they are always on. Also provide grip. Highly recommended
Old 05-23-12, 08:20 AM
Mugre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, No, No oil. Silicone or other dry lubricants. Oil attracts and holds grit and the grit adds friction and may prevent the pedal from releasing when you need it to. It also accelerates wear. I used silicone spray on my SPD's because they weren't releasing well if there was any twist in the foot when trying to unclip. It worked like a charm. I switched to speedplay and stayed with them even though they weren't completely trouble free. I liked the free float and I felt like entry and exit were both more reliable than with SPD's.

Mugre
Old 05-23-12, 10:29 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

I have so many damn bottles of lube for various things on my bike, I can't even keep track. My pedals (speedplay) require some weird speedplay grease for the main bearings (finally bought that over priced grease gun) and PTFE, whatever that is, for the cleat. You're supposed to lube the cleat every other ride. I have been on an every other lifetime schedule, no ill effects so far. I do lube the pedal bearings though about quarterly.
Old 05-24-12, 11:29 AM
avance

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
My pedals (speedplay) require some weird speedplay grease for the main bearings (finally bought that over priced grease gun) and PTFE, whatever that is, for the cleat. You're supposed to lube the cleat every other ride. I have been on an every other lifetime schedule, no ill effects so far. I do lube the pedal bearings though about quarterly.
I have yet to lube my pedals or cleats with about 400 miles on them. I guess that may be the reason I have a hard time snapping in my right cleat.
Old 05-24-12, 11:34 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seve
Shimano PD-A600 SPD
and
Shimano A530 SPD

Are single sided SPD options as well.
... and the M324?
Old 01-05-18, 11:03 AM
evtl

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was also curious about the weight limit on the Speedplays. So I just asked them about my choice, the Speedplay X2 stainless steel:

"Hi evtl,

Thank you for contacting Speedplay.

There is not weight limit on our stainless steel spindles.

Regards,

Bill"

So, I bought them.

edit // Oh, I am six years late. Maybe a Googler will thank me :-D
Old 01-05-18, 12:55 PM
jack_flack

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Conquistador De Amore
I had speedplays and found them to be uncomfortable. I was getting hotspots no matter how much I played with the cleat placement. ...
This has been my experience with my speedplays. I've just switched them out for SPD-SLs and am looking forward to warmer weather to put some miles on.
Old 01-05-18, 01:00 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Had them on a few roadbikes; pretty good:

Originally Posted by evtl
I was also curious about the weight limit on the Speedplays. So I just asked them about my choice, the Speedplay X2 stainless steel:

"Hi evtl,

Thank you for contacting Speedplay.

There is not weight limit on our stainless steel spindles.

Regards,

Bill"

So, I bought them.

edit // Oh, I am six years late. Maybe a Googler will thank me :-D
Old 01-12-18, 05:10 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
FWIW I tried speedplays and just did not like them. I found them a lot harder to clip into smoothly than spd-sl. and the overall care needed lube and maintenance was more than I wanted to deal with.

I use both spd (on combo flat/spd pedals) and spd-sl depending on the bike. spd is the easiest overall, but for my road bike i really love the spd-sl

Old 01-12-18, 06:13 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
FWIW I tried speedplays and just did not like them. I found them a lot harder to clip into smoothly than spd-sl. and the overall care needed lube and maintenance was more than I wanted to deal with.

I use both spd (on combo flat/spd pedals) and spd-sl depending on the bike. spd is the easiest overall, but for my road bike i really love the spd-sl

Interesting. I found the opposite for me. SPD-SL's were a ***** to get into on the first try and there was more than one instance of slamming my crotch into my bike seat when I missed. Or one leg revolutions to get the damn pedal back around on a hill.

I have had speedplays since I started riding and don't think I have lubed them ever....I don't notice anything like they are having issues. I put a teeny bit of dry lube on the cleat here and there but that's been it.
Old 01-12-18, 06:15 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Regarding the lube of the pedals...it is possible that my bike shop does that for me when I take it in for their fancy tune ups. I swear I was given new brake pads on my Domane that I just picked up from being tuned where they strip the drivetrain and the bike gets THOROUGHLY cleaned up and set to rights.
Old 01-12-18, 08:14 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Nope, I just avoid Bell if I can. I like Wellgo metal BMX pedals but I also like the later AS with the reflectors I got for my straightbar Hornet.
Old 01-13-18, 02:27 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Ha!!! Fixed them!

Unfortunately I'm from the mechanical school of "its close enough". When installing the cleats to the shoes the instructions specifically tell of fitting the correct curvature shim so that the cleat fits flush with the curvature of the sole of the shoe. Well I had a 1mm gap between the cleat-mount and the shoe that could be taken up by tightening down the cleat-mount. WRONG - by tightening down the mount to take up the 1mm gap, I inadvertently "curved" the locking mechanism of the cleat and so it would not engage correctly.

So, I took apart the cleat, fitted the thicker 4-R shims (supplied), re-assembled everything and jumped on the bike. NO PROBLEMS!! The shoes snap in and out of the pedals and will not break away from the pedal unless I twist my foot to do so.

Im thrilled - thank you all and a special thanks to Trojan . Now I "get it"
I was just going to suggest this when you posted it. Good work!

+1 - I love mine. Fit them and forget them. No need to carry them with you as they are always on. Also provide grip. Highly recommended
Speedplay also has a walkable cleat for the Light Action pedals that is similar to the walkable cleat for the Zeros. These are maybe the most walkable road cleat ever. The KeepOnCovers are also good but less walkable. I'd say that the KeepOnCovers on cleats approximate walking on the Look cleats I rode from the time they first came out in the '80s until about 10 years ago when I switched to Speedplay. I really like the Zeros and would never go back, ever.

J.
Old 01-15-18, 09:33 AM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Put me in the camp of liking my Zero's better than SPD, SPD-SL or Look. For me, ease of entry due to being double sided was my big reason for switching from SPD-SL as I hit a lot of stop signs/lights. I also like the adjustable float and no spring tension in the float. Platform itself also feels ever so slightly more stable than SPD-SL, which was what kept me on the SPD-SL for several years. As for walkability, the aero/walkable cleats are better than anything other than recessed cleats IMO.

As for weight, I think the only ones that have a limit are the Titanium spindle ones. Personally, I'm fine with the chromoly ones. A few grams at the pedal spindles will do me nothing that dropping a few kilos of body weight won't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.