Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for a bike computer - somewhat special ...

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 01:49 PM
irpheus
Explorer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,

I have been searching for a bike computer that has these specifications:

Rugged and durable
waterproof
long batterytime (rechargeable?)
with wire, i.e. NOT wireless
speed, distance etc.
altitude
temperature
backlit display
easy and intuitive to use

I've found that the VDO MC 1.0 has almost all this:

(https://www.cycleparts.de/en/produkte...10/funktionen/

- but maybe you know of an alternative?

Greetings,

Jesper
Old 01-05-11, 03:05 PM
Cyclesafe

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know what you want and I wouldn't presume to tell you differently, but I feel compelled to tell you that the barometric altitude sensor found on bike computers needs to be recalibrated so often that it is not very useful for multiday touring. You'll get a number, but it will likely be an inaccurate number and you will have (IMHO) wasted the much higher cost of the premium computer you are describing. A toy that you will ignore after just a few rides.
Old 01-05-11, 03:18 PM
NeilGunton
Crazyguyonabike

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Some of your requirements seem contradictory - long battery life does not usually go hand in hand with backlit display or altimeter. I don't think rechargeable would be very good for a bicycle tour, personally, do you really want to be tied to electrical outlets?

My favorite bike computer is the Planet Bike Protege 9.0. I like it because it's very simple, just about everything you want is on the one screen - very little need for pushing buttons (actually there are no buttons - you push the entire unit to change screens). It also has a temperature reading, which is not very useful on hot sunny days since it heats up in the sun. It's very reliable and the battery lasts a long time (months, if not years), and its wired (but no backlit display, unfortunately). Quite reliable too. The only issue I've had with bike computers (wired ones in particular) has been in heavy rain, when they sometimes lose contact with the base. I have read that a bit of vaseline around the contacts can take care of that, though I haven't had the chance to test this yet. But that's about it - otherwise, these things are very reliable in my experience.

https://ecom1.planetbike.com/8002.html

I get altitude from my Garmin eTrex Vista HCx, which uses AA batteries and so is easy to power (Energizer Lithium disposables are best - cheap and they last a long time, 1-2 weeks of everyday use).

Neil
Old 01-05-11, 10:26 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Actually I have a computer with all the features you described (Vetta 110A). I really don't like the 110. I got it because I have had a very low end Vetta wired computer for 15 years and it is still working. However, I tend to agree with some of the thoughts here. The extra features are not worth the hassle. Altitude is pain to calibrate, not very accurate, and needs a lot of adjustment using barametric pressure or known elevation. Because of the color and location on the bike (directly in the sun) the temperatures are not very accurate either. When I built my new bike last year it stayed on the old one and the the new build got a new computer with just the basic features.
Old 01-05-11, 11:15 PM
Newspaperguy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could go with a GPS unit. That way you'd have the information you want and the navigational capabilities as well. You should be able to find some of the Garmin eTrex models at good prices. A GPS will not require any wires because there is no sensor required on the bike.
Old 01-06-11, 11:12 AM
irpheus
Explorer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi,

- Appreciate your considerations and experiences. Given what you say I will stick to a cycle-computer with less features, yet still rugged & durable and with a wire.

Thanks again :-)

Jesper
Old 01-06-11, 11:30 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by irpheus
Given what you say I will stick to a cycle-computer with less features, yet still rugged & durable and with a wire.
Cateye Enduro 8 may thus fit the bill
Old 01-06-11, 11:48 AM
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as barometric pressure is concerned, I find it to be pretty unreliable on rolling hills (lots of them around here) and completely useless in the rain. I have used my Garmin for so long that I couldn't live without knowing the grades of climbs! Before Garmin, I always had good luck with Cateye Astrale and Micro 2 models. Still have them both and their batteries are still running even though they've been in a drawer for years (just checked).
Old 01-06-11, 12:00 PM
brawny
Grateful Tread

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Cardiac (hardtail MB/commuter), Aquila Pave (aluminum tourer)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
Cateye Enduro 8 may thus fit the bill
+1

Good computer. I usually change the battery every year at the beginning of the bike season. I use one computer on two bikes (mountain and touring rigs), and its simple to switch, and handles both wheel diameters. Of course I had to buy a second sensor/wiring harness, but it wasn't particularly expensive. Been using the same setup for at least 5 years now without any issues at all.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-06-11, 02:44 PM
irpheus
Explorer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey all - just bought one with a good reputation for ruggedness so my need is covered :-)

Thanks again for reading & considering ...

Jesper
Old 01-06-11, 03:25 PM
NeilGunton
Crazyguyonabike

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
What did you end up getting?
Old 01-07-11, 08:22 AM
Pscyclepath
LCI #1853

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Fisher Caliber 29er, Orbea Onix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What you're asking for is much more of a GPS unit. Otherwise, I would recommend a Cateye Enduro, which is pretty much bullet-proof as far as a basic cyclecomputer. When I need altitude, temp,. etc, I'll usually pack along my Garmin Vista, or more commonly now, just use my iPhone to check it out.