Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

need electric bike for 750$

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-16, 01:19 AM
windhchaser
Banned.

Bikes: Felt nine flow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

which one should I choose?
Old 08-24-16, 08:55 PM
slomoshun

Bikes: Treks and a Moulton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by windhchaser
which one should I choose?
For the money, maybe an older Currie USPD from Craig's List.
Old 08-24-16, 09:17 PM
windhchaser
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
cool ill look at them ty. maybe I also should raise budget to 1 grand? could I get a decent new bike for that all I care about is depeabilty and a range of like 15 miles. I dont care about looks or weight
Old 08-24-16, 10:30 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
Take a look at the Schwinn Tailwind, reviewed this month. Seems like a killer deal especially since the OP can tell you how to revive the battery.
Old 08-25-16, 06:03 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
How's your working on bike skills? You'll need them if you buy a used one because I've read here that many bike shops don't want to work on e-bikes. If you're pretty good with adjusting brakes, derailleurs, etc, you could consider buying a motor and battery, and installing them on a good bike you already own, also called "building" your own, although that is exaggeration.

There is some thought on how and where to mount a battery and the black box that controls the motor, but mostly it's swapping parts. Maybe some soldering skills if you don't like to look at extra cables.

The first one I built took a $199 motor, and a $300 battery. I had a store bought model (wife's bike) to look at for inspiration. It goes 18 mph and could do 15 miles w/o much pedalling at 12 mph, but my typical range is 30+ miles with some effort on my part.

Next, whether you build or buy, the questions ... How far? How fast? Ride like a bike or run like a scooter? ... have to be asked.

Finally, bikes should be like appliances. That means batteries that won't easily blow up or catch on fire. Some knowledgeable hobbyists get away with light weight, inexpensive batteries used in radio control (RC) aircraft. Still, we read about RC hobby shops burning down. Even a well known bike shop caught fire this year. So money spent on a reliable battery using name brand Samsung/Panasonic cells is not frivolous.
Old 08-25-16, 06:17 PM
Lin_Latte

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a bike well under 1K that can easily do over 15 miles and has a 1 year warranty.

2015 Trail Maker 300Li Electric Mountain Bike Lithium | electro bike world
Old 08-25-16, 10:24 PM
slomoshun

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
That site and others like it all have something unpleasant in common. If you check their About Us or Contact options, they tell you nothing about the company's physical address or phone, or any way to know about them. But, they make it easy to accept your personal info and credit card number. The "Extreme Warranty" is 180 Days, 1 year battery warranty, and lifetime warranty on the frame, though. Right. If it stinks up front, it's also going to smell very bad if you need support. Reputable businesses don't hide out.
Old 08-26-16, 12:30 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
If you want a phone number, farbike has that plus an address on their website for the Trail Maker, although I cannot tell you if it is legit. People do own this bike, so they must be getting them somewhere. I would look at how their paypal arrangement is set up. I buy stuff from China if they use paypal and don't worry (too much).

https://www.farbike.com/x-treme-trai...electric-bike/

Last year, I considered buying this bike from these guys, It was $749 then. The battery is only 24 volts. That will limit range/speed.

Last edited by Doc_Wui; 08-26-16 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-26-16, 08:44 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Your budget can buy a Sondors. So far they are proven reliable and upgradeable. The only drawback is the actual delivery time.

I bought 2 of the original fat tire bikes and can say I really DID get my moneys worth. I was skeptical when I originally ordered.

-SP
Old 08-26-16, 09:27 PM
windhchaser
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
ty for the input everyone
Old 08-28-16, 07:20 PM
Lin_Latte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slomoshun
That site and others like it all have something unpleasant in common. If you check their About Us or Contact options, they tell you nothing about the company's physical address or phone, or any way to know about them. But, they make it easy to accept your personal info and credit card number. The "Extreme Warranty" is 180 Days, 1 year battery warranty, and lifetime warranty on the frame, though. Right. If it stinks up front, it's also going to smell very bad if you need support. Reputable businesses don't hide out.
It's an internet web base so that's why you don't see any "physical" address. Obviously this is a dealer of the Extreme and other manufacture bike company. Dealers usually have special offering to make their bikes more attractive and discounts vs buying straight from the manufacture. Some bike manufacturers strictly available from dealers only. I've bought 2 bikes from this website and they offer awesome customer service! They have a customer service number you can call and speak to a live person if you have any questions or issues, they will take care of you. Don't be so judgmental if you never even bought or tried their products because that doesn't give you any credibility. And BTW they offer Paypal payments and I ALWAYS use this option when purchasing online.

Last edited by Lin_Latte; 08-28-16 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-28-16, 11:03 PM
slomoshun

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lin_Latte
It's an internet web base so that's why you don't see any "physical" address.....
You can view that as normal if you want to. It's not.

Originally Posted by Lin_Latte
...Don't be so judgmental....
I've been around the block a few times and consider it 'common sense'. There's one born every minute.
Old 08-29-16, 07:08 PM
Lin_Latte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slomoshun
You can view that as normal if you want to. It's not.

I've been around the block a few times and consider it 'common sense'. There's one born every minute.
You can be a pestimist and paranoid all you want if that's how you choose to live but I have bought 2 bikes from them and totally satisfied with their products and services. Just because you've been scammed before doesn't mean everyone is out to get you. Relax dude I wouldn't waste my time posting it if I feel it is a scam.