Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Burning, No Improvement - Help!

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-18, 03:29 PM
NewPainNoGain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in, but I figured some people must have gone through something similar and have some advice.

I recently decided to get back in shape and to start, got a stationary recumbent bike. I've been using it for a few months, 3 times per week for 30 minutes, doing intervals. When I first started, my quads burned (between the mid upper thigh and the knee on the direct top, not the side). I thought this would get better in time as I built the muscle. However, if anything, it's getting worse. My intervals are getting shorter and shorter in terms of how I can push it before it really burns (like 30 seconds or less). Then I subside and the burning dissipates. There's no lasting pain or problems after the biking is finished, but it is a lot of discomfort at the time and it doesn't seem to be improving.

Any ideas for what could be happening and how I could address it? I'd really appreciate it!
Old 08-31-18, 03:41 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I would do a LOT of other type of exercises. You are probably exercising a small number of muscles by using just this fitness bike as your sole means of exercising. Also, your 'fit' on the bike may not be ideal.

Try some core strength exercises, weights, squats, etc to build your strength and body in a more balanced way.
Old 08-31-18, 08:38 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by NewPainNoGain
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in, but I figured some people must have gone through something similar and have some advice.

I recently decided to get back in shape and to start, got a stationary recumbent bike. I've been using it for a few months, 3 times per week for 30 minutes, doing intervals. When I first started, my quads burned (between the mid upper thigh and the knee on the direct top, not the side). I thought this would get better in time as I built the muscle. However, if anything, it's getting worse. My intervals are getting shorter and shorter in terms of how I can push it before it really burns (like 30 seconds or less). Then I subside and the burning dissipates. There's no lasting pain or problems after the biking is finished, but it is a lot of discomfort at the time and it doesn't seem to be improving.

Any ideas for what could be happening and how I could address it? I'd really appreciate it!
Look up quadriceps tendonitis.

Just as a guess, it sounds to me like you haven't set the bike up correctly and were pushing too hard a gear.

Is that possible?

If so, set the bike up properly and don't push such a hard gear.

Also, yes, as above, do some other exercise too. On the days you're not riding, go for long walks or something.
Old 08-31-18, 09:29 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
I second looking into bike set up. As you are getting stronger it's hurting more = position issue. Some causes you might look at- Saddle too low, possibly coupled with saddle too far forward. Fore/Aft cleat placement can also play a role. There's good bike pain and bad bike pain. This sounds like the latter.Take care of it and get to the good stuff.
Best regards, Eruc

PS I'm just an old bike rider,not a medical professional.
Old 08-31-18, 11:44 PM
Brofessor

Bikes: Schwinn Circuit 89'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do your quads hurt and feel weak while you climb stairs between rides?
Old 09-01-18, 07:20 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
IMO, intervals are NOT a good way to begin working out. They are terribly difficult, even for those who are already in shape.

Old 09-01-18, 10:24 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I would suggest first taking a few days off of the bike and eating and sleeping your heart out. I'm talking BIG meals, packed with good balanced nutrients and 2 or 3 nights in a row of waking up to no alarm. Stretch thoroughly and almost painfully each night. Then try again. If you still feel bad, then you probably should check out your fit.
Old 09-02-18, 05:08 AM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with others, check your fit and then see your Dr., If neither of those are it refer back to rule #5 .
Old 09-02-18, 05:17 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I don't know that this is the right board for a question about stationary recumbent bikes. But on a regular two-wheeled bike, if I experience pain "between the mid upper thigh and the knee on the direct top, not the side", the first thing I would try is a higher seat position.

In the past, when I have had any sort of knee pain, I have raised my saddle, and that's worked (for me) probably 90% of the time. This is due to the misalignments that occur when I don't get nearly full leg extension. You want your legs to be extended something like 98-99% at the "bottom" of your pedal stroke.

This is pretty much the same as walking, where your legs are fully extended while you walk, but never hyper-extended. So I would move your seat back, or whatever you need to do in order to get full leg extension.
Old 09-02-18, 05:24 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
IMO, intervals are NOT a good way to begin working out. They are terribly difficult, even for those who are already in shape.
I agree, that's a helluva way to start after a (presumably) sedentary life. I'd skip the intervals until you're in better shape.
Old 09-02-18, 09:08 AM
dylandewandel

Bikes: 2014 Diamondback Trace Comp (Modified)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
+1. I'm assuming you're attempting to push a big gear too fast, too soon. I know you said you've been training this way for a few months; if that's the case and it's got progressively worse without changing anything to do with the bike, either your setup needs adjustment or you've got a medical situation going on. I'd fine tune the setup of the bike to best match your height/legs, take your routine back a few notches; if it doesn't improve, I'd see a doc.
Old 09-02-18, 09:19 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Just intervals? I think they have their place but if you're truly trying to "get back in shape and to start", at the very start, you'd need some endurance work. Half an hour or an hour of a steady pace that you can hold for the duration. Keep the intervals to one or two times per week.
Old 09-02-18, 01:10 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Muscles have a very good blood supply which results in noticeable gains in strength in a relatively short time. The connective tissue does not respond with the rapidity, partly due to a lesser blood supply. Every single book about physical training discusses the necessity of gradual increases in effort. To begin training with intensity is the opposite of what is needed. Over time you will get stronger but think of exercise a lifetime endeavor. The benefits will accrue like compound interest, a little bit at a time.
Old 09-03-18, 11:28 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Blood supply? Is that your own theory on why muscles adapt more quickly than connective tissue?

I'm mainly wondering where this is coming from, don't consider it an attack or challenge or anything like that.

Last edited by wphamilton; 09-03-18 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-03-18, 11:43 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Hello,

+1 on mixing it up.

-1 on remarks about bike fit because in your case you're riding a stationary recumbent! Doing intervals like this, while sitting in a chair and not really being able to balance out your effort by using your upper body is an ill advised way to attain bike fitness. Just curious why you're not riding an actual bike, outside? If it is a time thing and you really are limited, why not try spinning? These bikes are more like real bikes and you can simulate climbing and intervals, sprints - you name it on this style bike.

With all this being said, I do have a friend who got fit while doing long sessions on a stationary recumbent. He lost like 80 pounds and he "cured" his type 2 diabetes this way. He was not a competitive or adventure seeking type person when it came to outdoor riding so he only aspired to lose weight and gain cardiovascular fitness through the use of the stationary recumbent.

Me on the other hand - you would have to duct tape me to the d*mn stationary recumbent for hours on end.
Old 09-03-18, 12:28 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in...
We moved your thread from General Cycling to Training & Nutrition.
Old 09-03-18, 04:12 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Protein. More protein. It's normal for one's legs to hurt after a workout, even more so on the second day after. Do you notice that? However it is not normal for your legs to hurt on the bike, or at least not until you have driven them almost to exhaustion. The more usual sensation is for leg pain to go away on the bike due to the production of endorphins.

My rule is that if my legs hurt on the bike, it's a lack of protein in the diet. The amount of protein which is adequate in a sedentary life is not nearly enough if one is exercising hard. Hitting it hard, like intervals, damages the muscles every time you do it. Then they have to repair, which takes protein. So try increasing protein intake a lot over the next few days. Greek yogurt is a cheap and accessible way to do it. Add say 70g of protein to your diet every day, somehow. Dietary protein works pretty quickly. If that's the problem, it should get better within a week. If not, that's not the problem, but it's a quick and easy way to check. Cut back on the fat in your diet to accommodate the extra protein, but don't cut so much on the carbs.

I doubt it has anything to do with fit, tendons, etc. The fact that it's only on the bike when going hard has protein written all over it. If it were other stuff, you'd notice it just walking around. Thus I doubt it's connective tissue. Plus the description "burning" is a muscle sensation. Connective tissue just goes "OUCH". Be that as it may, Berner is correct in his advice. Intervals no more than every 3rd ride. The other two at a pace which causes deep but not rapid breathing.