Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting and music

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting and music

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 02:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I find riding a bike enjoyable enough not to need music or voices supplementing the experience. Driving a car is different. Anything to help pass the time driving is better.
I get that you said this is only for you and not projected on others, but i mean come on now, it shouldnt be a surprise that your wording is taken as projecting your view on others.
Old 05-22-19, 02:13 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The odds of me ever appearing in front of a judge and jury due to cycling are so small and insignificant that it isnt even worth me considering this as a reason to not wear ear buds.

If I did find myself in your hypothetical, then I would try to rationally explain that in my experience, ear buds dont distract me from seeing or hearing what is going on around me.
Its ironic that music can blast in a car thru the speakers and the driver's hearing is limited, but that isnt an issue in your hypothetical...
An explanation wouldn't work, the judge will rule on the law. In my state you can't cover both ears. Although it is unlikely you still don't want to be that guy. Police tried to give me a ticket once for taking the lane to avoid an obstacle.

As for the loud music in the car I couldn't agree more. However, there is a psychological effect that headphone have of isolating you from your environment that's not quite the same in a car.

Even when I walk with headphones I have to keep a special awareness of my environment. I have crossed the street at least once without looking. That was enough proof for me.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I get that you said this is only for you and not projected on others, but i mean come on now, it shouldnt be a surprise that your wording is taken as projecting your view on others.
On the other hand, isn't that what our leaders do?
Old 05-22-19, 02:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
An explanation wouldn't work, the judge will rule on the law. In my state you can't cover both ears. Although it is unlikely you still don't want to be that guy. Police tried to give me a ticket once for taking the lane to avoid an obstacle.

As for the loud music in the car I couldn't agree more. However, there is a psychological effect that headphone have of isolating you from your environment that's not quite the same in a car.

Even when I walk with headphones I have to keep a special awareness of my environment. I have crossed the street at least once without looking. That was enough proof for me.
On the other hand, isn't that what our leaders do?
Judge and jury = me being questioned and that is why I mention explaining myself. Totally wouldnt work, i have no disillusions that it would. I was simply replying to the absurd scenario in Addict's post. I have a strong suspicion that he doesnt actually ride enough to experience much of what he posts about.

As for leaders projecting other's words onto them, yeah thats done a lot. Its a pretty common human behavior.
Old 05-22-19, 04:14 PM
Hasselhof

Bikes: Merida Espresso 600 EQ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Does it actually press firmly on bone? Does it get sore after wearing for a long time? I get soreness from sunglasses gently pinching for hours at a time
No, not at all. It is basically just a small speaker that rssts on the skin above the bony patch in front of your ear. Sometimes it takes a little bit of manoeuvring to get them into a sweet spot, but you get used to them really quickly. Probably my biggest gripe with them at the moment is that although they have a built in microphone for phone calls, when you are out for a ride the wind noise makes them virtually unusable because of wind noise at anything above about 5kph