Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New child ... infant front seat recommendations

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New child ... infant front seat recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-19, 08:37 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
acidfast7 and I Like to Bike,

Stop the bickering! I deleted several offending posts. Let’s get back on track with the thread.

Stan
Old 04-17-19, 10:13 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
I used a belly pack until my first born could hold up her head. I then used a two wheeled cart. For the first 11 years of our marriage we had no car. Here is my favorite cart and it is the safest one available.https://cycletote.com/products/child-trailer
Old 04-17-19, 12:02 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
With a child seat on the bike there are two main things to worry about.
First, the child may be very wiggelly when being put into the seat. No fun when the bike is balanced on a kickstand. You pretty much have to keep at least one hand on the bike all the time . You can not leave the bike alone for a second. It was worse than I thought it would be. Also even with a helmet on, if you fall sideways the kids head will hit the seat side very hard. Maybe these are obvious, but try it a friend's bike if you can.

A child trailer will not fall over if you do. I think it's safer. But they are lower than a car, be sure to use a good safety flag.
Keep the weight in the trailer over or in front of the axle to keep the trailer from lifting the bike in the air when you are not on it. This may never be a problem, it showed up when I turned a trailer into a dog trailer, loading from behind. The dog started to put weight in as he got in and the bike went up in the air.
Yeah, A trailer is a no go here. It's the most dense city in Western Europe and often there are only stairs where we want to ride.

Even these two stairs become a hassle than and the bike lanes are extremely narrow.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.7799...7i13312!8i6656

I think the trailers are great, especially if they're ski compatible for the winter, but just not for this cycling environment.
Old 04-17-19, 12:03 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by StanSeven
acidfast7 and I Like to Bike,

Stop the bickering! I deleted several offending posts. Let’s get back on track with the thread.

Stan
I think you should sort I Like to Bike for taking a crap in my thread. Otherwise, I wouldn't have to respond in said manner.
Old 04-17-19, 12:08 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
With such tight space constraints, the Steco Baby Mee comes to mind, before you can use kids seats. However, doing that on a normal DF bike might be tricky: https://www.bakfiets-en-meer.nl/2009...orn-on-a-bike/
Old 04-17-19, 12:19 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by alias5000
With such tight space constraints, the Steco Baby Mee comes to mind, before you can use kids seats. However, doing that on a normal DF bike might be tricky: https://www.bakfiets-en-meer.nl/2009...orn-on-a-bike/
I think I'll end up going boxbike in the end and just assume it will get stolen and insure it. I give the inexpensive seats a shot first though.
Old 04-17-19, 12:35 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Take a second look at a trailer, really. Singles are no wider than handlebars, they convert to a stroller, and have available an infant sling.

Year 1 is awkward for cycling. Year 5 gets awkward too because he's too big for the bike seat but not good enough on his own bike yet.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-17-19, 01:56 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Take a second look at a trailer, really. Singles are no wider than handlebars, they convert to a stroller, and have available an infant sling.

Year 1 is awkward for cycling. Year 5 gets awkward too because he's too big for the bike seat but not good enough on his own bike yet.
Yeah, maybe I haven't done them justice.

A ton of bike shops in the city (maybe 10 to 15) and haven't seen a single trailer yet, which makes it quite hard. Nor have I seen one in the wild (and I see around 50 cyclists a day).
Old 04-17-19, 03:07 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 896 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
I think you should sort I Like to Bike for taking a crap in my thread. Otherwise, I wouldn't have to respond in said manner.
Just wondering if you know for a fact that he didnt?

PM me if there if you honestly feel there an issue with moderation.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 12-29-20, 06:42 PM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
I know this thread is pretty old now but wanted to share the route went. Since about 10 months old my son has loved riding in the i-bert front mounted seat. I've had this on several different bikes now and this old mountain bike with high handlebars is by far the best. I've had it on a drop bar gravel bike and a bike from the 70's with high rising handlebar, but this works better than either of those because the clearance from the legs to the handlebar, with lower bars it's a tight squeeze to get legs down in their place.
I'm glad I went with a front mount, I can see what he's doing and I can enjoy seeing how happy he is on the bike and he really loves the bike. Only downsides are that it is a little bit in my way, legs do have to spread around it but not too bad on this bike, and when he moves a lot it does make the bike turn but not enough that I'm worried about shooting in to traffic. He did figure out how to pull the brake lever the other day so maybe the extra unplanned stops could be downsides as well.
My kid is 99.6 percentile for height (I'm 6'6"), so he's going to outgrow this thing before he is 3, he just turned 2. I'll probably get about 2 years total from it then need to find a trailer or something. I think the weehoo looks interesting.
Old 12-29-20, 09:55 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
My twins are approaching four. With 2020 being how it's been, there haven't been many long rides for them, because the boy twin is off the charts for height and width and makes the trailer too small. So mainly it's been balance bikes to the park. The girl twin is nearly ready to pedal, the boy twin is not there yet. It's funny how their skills have turned out. She definitely has the coordination to ride the Spawn we got her but she's got little pedaling experience because there have been no preschool trikes in her life. He's going to put it together a bit later, and skip the 16er we've been saving from the older brother. I got him a girl's 20" Riprock coaster that can have a low enough seat height for him to start on. The oldest boy meanwhile has developed no added skill at all. He's 6-1/2yo on a geared 20" for 6mo now, he's been pedaling for nearly three years, and he still rides like he just got off his balance bike.

I miss Acidfast7
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 12-29-20 at 09:59 PM.