Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ortleib knock-offs?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ortleib knock-offs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-21, 03:21 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I have several Carradry bags from Carradice. They are a well made product at a decent price.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-01-21 at 03:24 AM.
Old 01-01-21, 07:15 AM
Comfort is King

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I have several Carradry bags from Carradice. They are a well made product at a decent price.
My first panniers were Carradice Super C's, and couldn't have been happier. Their mounting system, in my view, is the best one--the way it clamps on is super robust and secure. I've found that Ortlieb panniers can get dislodged if they don't fully lock on, which it's somewhat hard to tell if they are locked. In any event, the Carradice ones are much stronger, yet, they're about as easy to get on and off. You can also replace the mounting clips if something were to ever happen. Damage to the panniers can be sowed. True, they're not as waterproof as Ortlieb; however, things ventilate. You need to ride most of the day in significant rain before it penetrates anyway. That's good enough.

It's also nice to have bags you don't see everywhere, from a smaller and older company than any other bag maker, who's also noted for their great customer service and likely treats employee with respect. I felt great about supporting that company.
Old 01-01-21, 11:27 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfort is King
My first panniers were Carradice Super C's, and couldn't have been happier. Their mounting system, in my view, is the best one--the way it clamps on is super robust and secure. I've found that Ortlieb panniers can get dislodged if they don't fully lock on, which it's somewhat hard to tell if they are locked. In any event, the Carradice ones are much stronger, yet, they're about as easy to get on and off. You can also replace the mounting clips if something were to ever happen. Damage to the panniers can be sowed. True, they're not as waterproof as Ortlieb; however, things ventilate. You need to ride most of the day in significant rain before it penetrates anyway. That's good enough.

It's also nice to have bags you don't see everywhere, from a smaller and older company than any other bag maker, who's also noted for their great customer service and likely treats employee with respect. I felt great about supporting that company.
If I recall correctly, the Super C that you had were cotton. the Carradry have a material similar to Ortliebs, but the material that the Carradry ones are made of is thinner and probably less durable than Ortliebs.

I have been a regular Ortlieb Back and Frontrollers user for over a decade. But, I bought a set of Carradry quite a few years ago for a specific trip where I wanted rear panniers that were larger than my Ortliebs, and to make a long story short, that trip did not happen. So, every year after that I thought about trying the Carradry, finally did for my summer 2019 trip. You can see in the photo below that they also have a rear pocket. There was a non-sealed seam where their patch was sewn on, water came in. I have since seamed the seals.

I do not remember what their claimed volume was, but I think it was less, but still larger than the 40 liter Backrollers.

I mentioned in a previous post above that I had to replace the lower hook to make them work on my Tubus Logo, I used a piece of aluminum bar to make a hook, slid some inner tube rubber over it to avoid metal on metal. My modified hook is in the photo below.

I think the Carradry are not as durable as Ortliebs, but Ortliebs are designed for a round the world trip. The Carradry would certainly be adequate for 80 to 90 percent of bike tourists.

The photo below, I met that gal in a campground on the Pacific Coast. She was in year seven of her continuous bike tour, she estimated that there were over 100 thousand kilometers on her bike. Her Ortliebs (one to right of bike, one on ground) had been in continuous use for seven years. In comparison, my ten year old Ortliebs just barely have a scratch.

The large Carradry also are a good size for an airline carry on bag.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 01-01-21 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-01-21, 12:46 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfort is King

In other words, if you don't put the Ortliebs on properly, they can come off...Okay...In other words, user error, not the fault of the bags. I truly get tired of people dissing a product because they can malfunction if you fail to use them as they are designed. It's like saying someone can open your door if you engage the lock, but don't pull it completely shut. A ridiculous complaint.

All that being said, yes, Carradice makes nice bags too. Oh, remember to actually mount them correctly, or they will fall off.
Likes For phughes:
Old 01-01-21, 01:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
In 9 years that have included many miles of hilly, bumpy, unpaved roads I have never had an Ortlieb dislodge from my racks. Sometimes I wonder if people who have that issue and not using the correct size hook inserts. My previous bags were Beckman. Properly attached, they could not dislodge absent a serious crash.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-01-21, 05:14 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by timdow
Doesn't look to be quite the same but I can't quite make out the name on the bag.
Old 01-01-21, 07:07 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I think both Ortliebs and Carradice make good bags, I would recommend either.
For clarity, here is a look at my front bags, that I use as smaller rear panniers.

This pic shows the pannier rail the clips slide onto (they aren't on yet), the bag of clips and adaptors for large or small diameter racks, the red locking mechanism and the lower pannier retaining lever that can rotate and adjust to various rack stays.

This pic shows the bag on the bike. One can see the clips and locking mechanism on the top rail and how the lower lever secures the bag to the rack stays.

This pic shows the panniers and Carradry saddle bag on the road. My tent is in the double ended drybag on the handlebars. Since then I have added the Carradry handle bar bag so the tent will go on top of the rear rack.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 01-02-21, 12:41 AM
Prisoner1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, would appreciate it.
Old 01-02-21, 09:22 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Doesn't look to be quite the same but I can't quite make out the name on the bag.
I do not know who made those, but that reminded me that Seattle Sports at one time made panniers but they appear to be out of the pannier game.
Old 01-02-21, 10:28 AM
robow

OK, so my friends yellow panniers above are from Gonex,
https://www.gonexsport.com/products/...proof-bike-bag

But he reminded me that he thought the quoted price was for a pair, but found out later that it was for only ONE bag and so his cost savings was not as great as he thought it would be.

Last edited by robow; 01-02-21 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-02-21, 02:10 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
OK, so my friends yellow panniers above are from Gonex,
https://www.gonexsport.com/products/...proof-bike-bag

But he reminded me that he thought the quoted price was for a pair, but found out later that it was for only ONE bag and so his cost savings was not as great as he thought it would be.
I would rather pony up the $60-$70 extra and buy Ortliebs. It seems like a false economy. Watch for sales as well, REI has them on sale once in a while, as do other places.
Likes For phughes:
Old 01-02-21, 02:46 PM
robow

Originally Posted by phughes
I would rather pony up the $60-$70 extra and buy Ortliebs. It seems like a false economy. Watch for sales as well, REI has them on sale once in a while, as do other places.
I agree. Places like Sierra Trading Post, Steep and Cheap, and other places will frequently have them on sale, especially if you're not concerned about color.
Likes For robow:
Old 01-03-21, 01:16 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Not sure where you're located or what your timeline is for purchase, but REI usually has Ortliebs at a 20% discount in their February/March Spring sale. You may need to be a member ($20.00 for a lifetime membership) but it pays for itself pretty quickly.

Sierra Trading Post (mentioned above) is also a good place to look.

REMEMBER:

Last edited by MAK; 01-03-21 at 01:26 AM.
Likes For MAK: