Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

90's MTB to Touring Bike Conversion: 700c wheels on a 26'' frame?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

90's MTB to Touring Bike Conversion: 700c wheels on a 26'' frame?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-21, 07:58 PM
700dog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got a similar conversion

my frames is a size 50 (classic type or whatever it's called [the top tube doesn't have a tilt]) and it was built for 26-inch tyres, but i currently got 700c rims on it. as stated here, cantilever brakes wouldn't align, that's why i'm using caliper brakes. biggest tyres i've managed to fit are 32c. anything fatter than that i think would rub on the calipers. but with disc brakes, like what you're planning on, thicker tyres would definitley fit. i'm not sure how that would work with fenders tho, as my bike is setup to work as a road bike, not as touring, so i've never tried installing those.

as some had mentioned here, it's a goofy conversion. and i would agree haha. my bottom bracket is obviously higher. the bike's got a lifted look to it lol. and since it's a size 50 frame, it kind of looks even tinier with 700c wheels. but i need that extra height since i'm 5'8.5". yes, the tip of my shoes used to occasionally hit the front tyre. yes, the geometry is messed up and the balance is affected. but i've gotten used to it. also, it's the only bike i got. and i bought it back when i didn't know much about bikes. it was the cheapest way i could get my bike to fit me and perform like a road bike, which is what i need, haha.

but yeah, if you got the money, which i don't think everyone has, build a proper bike. tho you can try to fit 700c wheels if you really want to; anyway you could still use them if you decide to buy the right frame.
Old 01-10-21, 03:23 PM
notthe1freeman
Bike Bum Extrordinare

Bikes: 1990s specialized hard rock ultra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by omiak
26" wheels are nicer anyway. Lighter weight, stronger and tires are more available in remote locations.
this all the way!!!